Bianchi Oltre XR4 Piggy + Mini Review

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

zappafile123

by zappafile123

Here's my Oltre XR4. Its a very practical build that consists of a few components that have been chosen for their durability rather than their weight. Thats why she's a little porky at 7.52kg. Unfortunately I didn't write down the weight of every component in the build/I've lost the spreadsheet that has the relevant numbers.

Build
Frameset
  • Frame: 53cm XR4 - 1006g
    Fork: 360g uncut
    Seatpost: ~190g
Groupset
  • Crankset: Power2max Type-S 5-arm Campag 52 *36, 172.5 mm
    BB: Campagnolo PF86
    Shifters/RD: Super Record
    DM Brakes/Chain: Record
    FD: Chorus
    Cassette: Ultegra
    Cables: Campagnolo
Finishing kit
  • Bars/Stem: FSA K-force 400 x 110 mm
    Bartape: Lizard Skins 1.8 mm
    Saddle: Specialized Romin Evo Pro - 181g
    Cages: Specialized S-works
    Pedals: Dura-ace 9000
Wheelset
  • Wheels: Reynolds Aero 58 - 1600g w/o rim tape
    Tires/Tubes: Specialized Turbo/Vittoria Latex
    Skewers: Campagnolo
Ride Summary:
  • Sense of Power Transfer: 8.5/10
    Acceleration: 7/10 (Keeping in mind I'm using the frame with relatively heavy aero-carbon clinchers, so its still pretty good)
    Climbing: 7.5 (seated efforts are more gratifying than punchy attempts to accelerate)
    Sense of flatland speed: 8.5/10
    Handling: 7/10 (take this with a grain of salt, I'm a poor bike handler and compared to other bikes I've never felt confident on Bianchis - they dont feel planted, however, they dont feel unstable either)
    Comfort: 9/10 (This rating is relative to other 'racing' frames I've tried)
Overall it's a very smooth operator that has a somewhat insultated ride feel. The bike does feel full of energy and has the highest overall levels of stiffness and comfort of any frame I've ridden (i.e. highest in combination). I do miss the more raw, balls to the wall ride quality of the XR2. The bike really comes to life for race efforts where it feels as though it really works with you to get the job done - it just feels fantastically stiff/responsive when you put a solid effort in. That being said, it is not a snappy feeling bike, it doesnt provide that sense of instant acceleration and directness granted by lightweight climbers bikes such as the Canyon Ultimate CF SLX, particularly from a standing start. In other words, it rewards hard efforts at pace and high powered steady state riding. In my books, that slightly slower start compared to other bikes is more than made up by it excelling in other domains

Other comments:
Mr. Sheen does a fine job of getting the matt finish clean. Its not perfect however.

There were no issues building it - the only tricky part was the internal routing through the seat-stay which proved to be quite stubborn. The inside finish of the frame looks to be quite poor.

The Reynolds Aero wheels are decent, though I do experience brake rub out of the saddle which I find pretty irritating. The DT240's feel surprisingly smooth - smoother than the Dt240s in the Enves I had... but maybe that's just cause they are new. In terms of the subjective sense of speed, they are indistinguishably as fast feeling as Xentis 5.8s, Enves, Zipps and Hed's. (Easton Aero 55's are the fastest feeling wheels I've ridden. I think that sensation is probably due to the awesome hubs. They had really bad brake rub so I sold them). They climb quite well and feel plenty stiff for seated efforts. Cross wind performance is very good - they are perfectly fine for everyday use. Braking performance is poor in absolute terms and also lagging behind the above mentioned wheels (thought slightly better than the Enve 6.7s)
IMG_2593.JPG
Attachments
IMG_2593.JPG
Last edited by zappafile123 on Sat May 02, 2020 1:05 am, edited 11 times in total.
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

maverick_1

by maverick_1

Congratulations!
Nice setup, IMHO that's a decent weight for the size with power meters added on.

That aside, I guess you still prefer the XR2 over the XR4?

Cheers

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

Nice
Thanks for the review...comprehensive
It's great that you use numbers lower than 9 out of 10.
I'm not sure I've ever read a review in a magazine with a variety of scores

zappafile123 wrote:
Ride Summary:
    Sense of Power Transfer: 8.5/10
    Acceleration: 7/10 (Keeping in mind I'm using the frame with relatively heavy aero-carbon clinchers, so its still pretty good)
    Climbing: 7.5 (seated efforts are more gratifying than punchy attempts to accelerate)
    Sense of flatland speed: 8.5/10
    Handling: 6.5/10 (take this with a grain of salt, I'm a poor bike handler and compared to other bikes I've never felt confident on Bianchis - they dont feel planted, however, they dont feel unstable either)
    Comfort: 8.5/10 (This rating is relative to other 'racing' frames I've tried)

Building Spec Allez

Sold
Fuji SL 5.5kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157704

Sold -
Izalco Max Disc 6.7kg http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... o+Max+disc

Seedster

by Seedster

Congratulations on the latest bike to your stable. I have some similar impressions of the XR4. Overall I have enjoyed the purchase.

tkbl

by tkbl

Awesome bike.

I recently just finished my XR4 build with Shimano 9100 groupset. Whole bike came to 6.97kg with Bora Ultra Two 50mm wheels. Its definitely heavier than my old Wilier Zero 7 and I can feel it when the road starts to tilt up, but I can feel the speed increase on the flats with the XR4.

BTW, what training wheels do you have on the XR4 (if any)? The deeper 35mm training wheels (like the Racing Quattros) look better with the XR4 but they are too heavy. Alternative would be Zondas (which i really like) or racing 3/7. Any others?

Thx

zappafile123

by zappafile123

tkbl wrote:BTW, what training wheels do you have on the XR4 (if any)? The deeper 35mm training wheels (like the Racing Quattros) look better with the XR4 but they are too heavy. Alternative would be Zondas (which i really like) or racing 3/7. Any others?
Thx

I don't believe in the concept of training wheels. I'm not willing to risk racing crits on my XR4 (which is the only accessible form of racing in Sydney if you dont drive) so I figure there's no point in sticking to the concept of 'training heavy, racing light'. If you've spent the money, and are willing to ware something out, why not enjoy the purchase?

I've gotten rid of the Aero 58s and switched over to Black Inc. Eighty's which are 75mm deep. I didnt intend to keep those wheels for the XR4, but they are faster and climb better than the Reynolds so I've decided to keep them. I like these wheels so much after the first 200km of riding them (had em' only a week) that I'm tempted to write a review. Its a crazy idea, but I'm kinda surprised that more people dont ride very deep wheels more - if they're just as fast as a 50-60mm deep wheels up a climb (100g weight penalty... big whoop - take a piss), but noticeably faster on the flat, then why the *f##k* not right!?
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

cleavel

by cleavel

Hi zappafile123,

I just purchased a 2019 Oltre XR4 in gloss celeste. This is the latest in a long line of Bianchi bicycles for me. I also have a 53 cm frame and I weighed it the same way I weigh all of my frames, with derailleur hangers and any cable guides attached, and I ended up with 1,109 grams. Kind of surprising. I knew it was going to be a heavier frame and this is my first aero road bike, but I thought it would be a closer to the 980 gram "advertised" weight. I'm loathe to take off the hangars, etc to see how much they weigh and 129 grams (or 1/4 lb) is not a big deal, but I am interested in what was on your frame when you weighed it. TIA
Thanks.
Cleave
Visit my blog at http://www.lawville.org/

zappafile123

by zappafile123

cleavel wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:28 pm
Hi zappafile123,
Kind of surprising. I am interested in what was on your frame when you weighed it. TIA
Hey there,

Its not surprising that its 1100 - its a gloss finish dude, gloss adds a lot of weight. It's also Italian, and in my expereince, Italian stuff is always at least 10% over claimed weight. I am not a weenie so I just weighed it ready to build - hanger, cage bolts, SP clmap etc. Dont bother taking stuff off to weigh it.

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

Your weights are definitely interesting. I have a 2019 XR4 in gloss Celeste in size 55 with these weights:

-frame 1126g
-fork 423g uncut
-seat post 230g

My brother has an identical frame with very similar weights....

cleavel

by cleavel

Thanks zappafile123 and SLCBrandon. Will post photos of the bike when I finish building it. That may take a while since all I have so far for it is the saddle. :lol:
Thanks.
Cleave
Visit my blog at http://www.lawville.org/

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

My size 50 Oltre XR4 Celeste Matt was 998 grams, if I remember correctly.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

cveks

by cveks

I have Bianchi Oltre XR4 with Campagnolo Super Record groupset and HED 50mm tubular wheels. Weight is around 6.8 kg and bike is very fast and comfortable. Only "complaint" I have is that this bike pushes you to ride it as fast as you can so you feel spent once you finish 3-4-5 hours ride :)

Madone69

by Madone69

My XR4 -
53 Celeste gloss
Super Record Eps v3
ITM Pathom bar and stem
Selle Italia SLR kit carbonia
Zipp 404 tubbies
Speedplay ti pedals
Birzman carbon cages
Garmin out front mount

total weight - 6,80kg :thumbup:
Attachments
XR4 20181107_102613.jpg

cveks

by cveks

mine looks almost identical to yours. Difference is that I have mechanical SR groupset and integrated aero handlebar.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com