S-Works Venge ViAS Disc Sagan WC Edition

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

lovemyway

by lovemyway

Hello

Some of you might me know from the Road subforum, where I ranted a lot about R9170 delays, my problems with levers and rear caliper mounting bolts. I've had the frame since the January, but the build was actually completed a bit more than a week ago, that's when I finally got all the required parts.

Anyway, the build has been finished. It is not really a WW bike - it weighs 7860g without the pedals, but I'm satisfied with the weight - it's a 61cm aero frame with disc brakes. There are no pedals yet because I'm considering a pedal-based power meter option and I'm waiting for the Vectors 3 to arrive. I used my Ultegra 6800 pedals for few rides.

Initially I didn't know how the bike will turn out to be, there were few Sagan Superstar bikes on the forums and I was kinda jealous of the paint. Now that I have the bike I really dig the paint - the colors look really good in the daylight and the sparkles add a nice touch. From the distance it looks like a nice black frame with some colorful accents.

The bike

Part list
Link to google docs, if anyone wants to copy/review: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Gallery
https://imgur.com/a/JkQOU

Ride quality
I have only ridden 70kms on the bike as I'm sick now and can't really ride. I was riding the 28mm tires before and was afraid that the 24s might be too narrow and too harsh, but it's not really the case here - I'm not sure if it's the tires, the light inner tubes (I have been riding on regular butyl tubes my whole life) or both. The bike itself is really fast, it accelerates quickly and it's easy to hold a speed of more than 40km/h. The wheels? Super cool, make this cool wind cutting sound that I didn't really hear with the shallower wheels. The freehub is silent, it's a nice addition (my CruX's freehub is pretty loud).
My main concern was the comfort, but after two short rides I don't see that issue. I have to do few centuries to be sure, though! Sorry that I can't really write anything more on the matter right now, I didn't really have the time. I'll be glad to answer some questions in the future, though.

This was my first time riding the Di2, too (I've ridden eTap HRD before) and boy.. The levers.. They feel at least 2 times smaller then the eTap HRD ones - they are tiny! I have no idea how Shimano managed to pack everything in something so small, but that's amazing. The system works flawlessly, instantaneous shifts every time. I reprogrammed the left lever to have the buttons shift up/down respectively to the right one, so up/down shifts are symmetrical. The buttons on the hoods are super useful as well, the presses on both change the Garmin screens, but when I hold the buttons the left one makes the lap on my garmin, and the right one starts/stops the timer.

I'm glad this is finally over,
Marcin

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jever98

by jever98

Hi there,

Congrats on the new ride. May I ask how high your saddle is and how much drop you ride? Good to see another tall guy on the forum :-).

Given that you have ridden Etap HRD and 9170 - can you say a bit more about the pros and cons from your point of view?

Cheers
Jever
----
No longer in the industry

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

It looks fast. :thumbup:

Like the splashes of colour & mottled effect on the frame.

Have you found any noticeable difference in comfort and speed between 28mm & 24mm tyres?

I'm debating going from 25's to 28's.
Building Spec Allez

Sold
Fuji SL 5.5kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157704

Sold -
Izalco Max Disc 6.7kg http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... o+Max+disc

L3X

by L3X

Stunning frame, looks absolutely great in real life!

What is included in your 1530 frameset weight? I've seen a breakdown of a 54cm rim brake bike where the frame incl. rear brake and bottom bracket is 1252 (https://cerrol.wordpress.com/tag/specialized-venge-vias/page/2/) so 1530 seems like a lot. Also what's included in the stem weight? How can that be 298?

Your weight for the saddle is spot on by the way, just measured mine to confirm :)
Last edited by L3X on Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

lovemyway

by lovemyway

jever98 wrote:Hi there,

Congrats on the new ride. May I ask how high your saddle is and how much drop you ride? Good to see another tall guy on the forum :-).

Given that you have ridden Etap HRD and 9170 - can you say a bit more about the pros and cons from your point of view?

Cheers
Jever

Hey,

The drop is a bit more than 14cm. I can't give exact measurements as the Zin tool (for the Retul fitting system) at my LBS broke and they are waiting for the replacement.

As for the eTap HRD/R9170 differences - the eTap is easier to install and it just works. There are less buttons so there's a smaller chance a shift will go wrong. The HRD levers are actually superbig, unlike the R9170 ones. I initially thought this will be very good for the large hands (I do have large hands), and it is, but the R9170 are something else... It's hard to describe, but they are super clean, small, feature packed, and feel just a bit better. I have only ridden it for about an hour - now that I have ridden the new DA I can say that the eTap shifts a bit slower (it's not slow by any means, though).

R9170.. Some people don't like the looks of the RD, I actually don't mind. The installation takes a bit more time and you have to get all the wires yourself, but it's really easy (I did the installation myself). The main reason why I went for Shimano, actually, is that I don't like the oversimplicity of the eTap system. I'm an IT guy and I like having an interface I can use. The eTap is a closed system, you can't really change the way it works. The Di2, on the other hand, is fully programmable (I only changed the way left lever buttons' work to match the right one for now, but I see all the stuff that I can change and will probably play with it in the future). I really like the buttons on the top of the hoods, they are programmable as well and can either shift or control your Garmin.

Oh... I need to mention the levers again... I'm really impressed (even though I had to wait almost a month to get a replacement)!

lovemyway

by lovemyway

L3X wrote:Stunning frame, looks absolutely great in real life!

What is included in your 1530 frameset weight? I've seen a breakdown of a 54cm rim brake bike where the frame incl. rear brake and bottom bracket is 1252 (https://cerrol.wordpress.com/tag/specialized-venge-vias/page/2/) so 1530 seems very like a lot. Also what's included in the stem weight? How can that be 298?

Your weight for the saddle is spot on by the way, just measured mine to confirm :)

Hey, the only things included are the bottle cage bolts, bottom bracket and the derailleur hanger. I think some of the "excess" weight comes from paint, the fact that it's a disc brake frame (maybe it's reinforced in some places, I dunno) and that it's 61cm version. I've read they are making the frames using the Rider-First Engineered™ system, so the bigger frames might have some more material in places that the smaller ones don't need (I'm not a framebuilder so take it with a grain of salt).

As for the stem weight - it's a 115stem with the top cap, top cap bolts (actually only one of two was used, sorry!), the front plate, front place screws and the shims inside (I don't know if this is how it's called). You can see everything on the picture: https://i.imgur.com/MzvfuTz.jpg

jlok

by jlok

@op it's been a while since your post, could you describe ore about how the bike ride? What's your feeling?
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tmr5555

by tmr5555

Can we have a photo of you riding that please!
Enjoy it!
Wow I'd get vertigo sitting on that saddle.