2018 Trek Emonda SLR Disc - Project One - H1

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

thebubbatex

by thebubbatex

I have a Emonda SLR disc frameset sitting in my home office right now waiting on the final parts to build it out. I went Ultegra 8000 for some cost savings but the ST-R8020 shifter/disc brake sets are still on backorder - they keep moving out a month and now it's Feb 15 delivery (which makes it really tough to look at this frame everyday that I just spent $3K USD on!). I had 160 Ultegra rotors sitting here and then read that the R8020's are set for mounting with 140's but require an adapter for 160. I got 140's this week and I like the look better - and I have noticed that the Trek team is running 140's as well. I did not want to use an adapter. 160's looked a small dinner plate on the wheels.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ClydesdaleChris

by ClydesdaleChris

thebubbatex wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:14 pm
I have a Emonda SLR disc frameset sitting in my home office right now waiting on the final parts to build it out. I went Ultegra 8000 for some cost savings but the ST-R8020 shifter/disc brake sets are still on backorder - they keep moving out a month and now it's Feb 15 delivery (which makes it really tough to look at this frame everyday that I just spent $3K USD on!). I had 160 Ultegra rotors sitting here and then read that the R8020's are set for mounting with 140's but require an adapter for 160. I got 140's this week and I like the look better - and I have noticed that the Trek team is running 140's as well. I did not want to use an adapter. 160's looked a small dinner plate on the wheels.
Yes I was talking to the team last week, they use the 140's and its plenty enough for riders under 80kg. over that, they've found the 160 front is better for long descents, power is similar. And the Shimano rep said the same thing, the R8070 levers are basically rocking-horse poo, manufacturers are paying a premium for first dibs and back orders from mid last year. The demand has been nothing short of mental. you may be well advised to go to Dura-Ace levers (will work with everything else) and have your bike now. February delivery for the levers is being very, very generous......
BandiCoote

Eddy Merckx Roubaix70 custom build
Trek Émonda 2018 SLR

springs

by springs

What is the seat height in the photo in the first post? Looks great.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

tonytourist wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:15 am
Didn't this bike get wrecked?
Please rebuild one in H2 (no spacers needed for you this time) with rim brakes and ALTO carbon clinchers.
Yep love tapped by a Ram pickup, so I'll be getting another on his insurance's dime in the next couple weeks. I still intend to run a 10mm or 5mm spacer because it literally does not matter what the final stack is. I ride with bent elbows in the drops and on the hoods alike.

Rim brakes are silly.

The Altos survived, but I have a set of 202 NSWs coming.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

springs wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:30 pm
What is the seat height in the photo in the first post? Looks great.
71.7cm from BB-c. I run a very short saddle position for my height (178cm)

Vallinotti

by Vallinotti

ClydesdaleChris wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:45 am
BREAKING NEWS: The whole Trek-Segafredo team that are in Adelaide are riding 2018 Emonda Disc bikes, full 9170 and Aeolus 3 D3 Disc wheelsets. Curiously, all are rolling 140mm rotors front and rear. Looks like their standard team issue this year. The OP is way ahead of the game, but he hasn’t got one of those cool cast-in Racing number holder thingys :)

I only know this as I had a heap of them cruise past me when climbing Norton’s Summit the other day when I was there.
Any news about the Madone disc?

spartan

by spartan

assuming launch in early july available in september.
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

That's not Trek's MO. When they announce it before the Tour, it's usually available for purchase and delivery soon thereafter. I have a friend who ordered his Madone at the start of the Tour and had the P1 paint job, in hand, before the Tour reached Paris. He rode it in Richmond, when we went to see the World Championships, less than a month later.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

FIJIGabe wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:28 pm
That's not Trek's MO. When they announce it before the Tour, it's usually available for purchase and delivery soon thereafter. I have a friend who ordered his Madone at the start of the Tour and had the P1 paint job, in hand, before the Tour reached Paris. He rode it in Richmond, when we went to see the World Championships, less than a month later.
Yep, I was able to order my Project One Emonda SLR Disc in mid July, and it was delivered in early August. Stock bikes were available the within a week of announcement.

thebubbatex

by thebubbatex

ClydesdaleChris wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:27 am
thebubbatex wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:14 pm
Yes I was talking to the team last week, they use the 140's and its plenty enough for riders under 80kg. over that, they've found the 160 front is better for long descents, power is similar. And the Shimano rep said the same thing, the R8070 levers are basically rocking-horse poo, manufacturers are paying a premium for first dibs and back orders from mid last year. The demand has been nothing short of mental. you may be well advised to go to Dura-Ace levers (will work with everything else) and have your bike now. February delivery for the levers is being very, very generous......
Been a while but I have had one hell of a saga with my Emonda SLR (stock frameset, H2). While waiting on the R8020's that I thought were coming in February, I started building up the bike. My shop ordered the high-end seat mast - the "Pro" version - which is $65 more and has a different clamp from the standard one. Range printed on it was 5-7nm. I got to 6 and heard that sickening cracking sound. After a week talking to the bike shop, Trek agreed to send me a new frame. This time - it cracked at 5.5nm while sitting in the floor. I was just moving it around and heard that sound again. Obviously, the common thread here was that seat mast cap (which, BTW, the pro team does not even seem to use from the pictures I have seen). Back to the shop and another two weeks and a 3rd frame. While all this was happening, I ordered the Dura Ace shifters/disc set but right when everything was coming together to complete the build, the R8020's came in stock in mid-March. So I swapped, saving myself $200 and keeping the Ultegra groupo together.

All is good now and I have about 400+ miles on the bike. I went with 140mm discs and in my opinion, disc brakes are f'ing great. I would never consider a rim brake (performance) bike again. The control you have is a real advantage vs. rim brakes. But - I still hold my breath every time I adjust the seat mast and re-tighten it! :D