2018 DISC Trek Emonda SLR 8

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Bordcla

by Bordcla

How is the handling on that new SLR? Several reviews and reports refer to "very quick", "borderline twitchy" or "nervous" handling.

I got rid of my Cannondale CAAD because its overly darty handling, which I found tiring and hard on my nerves. I have much preferred my Tarmac since then, which I find equally nimble, but much calmer and stable in a straight line.

Where does the SLR stand on that spectrum?

Clean39T

by Clean39T

Bordcla wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:08 pm
How is the handling on that new SLR? Several reviews and reports refer to "very quick", "borderline twitchy" or "nervous" handling.

I got rid of my Cannondale CAAD because its overly darty handling, which I found tiring and hard on my nerves. I have much preferred my Tarmac since then, which I find equally nimble, but much calmer and stable in a straight line.

Where does the SLR stand on that spectrum?
I would never put much stock in a reviewer's opinion in those areas. Most stock bikes they will be reviewing come with handlebars, stems, stack, and saddles that are all likely different in some way from whatever the reviewer's baseline bike is - and a 1cm change in any of those areas could make a bike feel significantly different. What's more, a 52cm version of a bike will have different geometry than the 62cm, or even a 56cm - so if the reviewer was on either end of the spectrum, or you are, their experience is effectively about being on a different bike from what you'd be getting. Which is not to say that geometry doesn't matter, that trail, bb-drop, or CS length don't impact handling - they do; but 99% of the reviews never get down into those details or do any sort of even remotely scientific analysis. Which is to say, most (if not all) bike reviews are heavily biased puff pieces that don't tell you a whole lot beyond what any manufacturer will put out in the marketing materials. In fact, it's probably better to just go straight to the manufacturer, read their purpose behind the model, and ask them questions directly.

Now, as far as my $0.02 on where the SLR sits...

I have an H1 62cm with a 120 stem, zero spacers, and a 40cm bar, with ~10cm setback; and have also put about 2,000mi on a '12 6.9SSL H1 60cm, setup similarly. I find it to be an exceptionally well-balanced bike for purposeful riding over mixed terrain. It's not what I'd choose for crits, or for pan-flat TTs. And it's not a gravel bike. For everything else, I think it's pretty hard to beat. And that makes sense. The H1 geometry has changed little for Trek in the past 20+ years (used to just be their "road" geometry) - and it's worked for plenty of fast guys/gals covering long distances. I will say that the SLR is a big improvement over the 6.9SSL in one key area, and that is in the front-end lateral/torsional stiffness - the 6.9SSL had a fork that just never seemed very planted to me when cornering hard; and the SLR has none of those issues from what I can tell so far. It's a bike that you can just hop on and go; up/down/flat, whatever. And it's one I'd recommend, but only in H1 fit, for the majority of riders who aren't trying to race crits or TTs on it, or gravel (though it does fit 28s just fine).

I've ridden CAAD9/10, and SS EVOs. I prefer the Emonda.

Also, I can't mention the SLR without also mentioning how great the Bontrager bits are...wheels, finish kit, and accessories are all top notch.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rynogee

by rynogee

does anyone have a geometry chart for the H1 geo for 2018 emonda disc they could post? Want to compare with the H2 geo, which is what I understand is posted on the Trek website.

tomee

by tomee

Does the frame have holes ready to accept Di2?

went to go look at one in the Trek store here but they never have SLR's on display.

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

tomee wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:17 am
Does the frame have holes ready to accept Di2?

went to go look at one in the Trek store here but they never have SLR's on display.
Yes. They come with all the grommets/frame bits to run either mechanical or electronic. Battery mounting hardware as well.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

Fisherfreerider

by Fisherfreerider

rynogee wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:10 am
does anyone have a geometry chart for the H1 geo for 2018 emonda disc they could post? Want to compare with the H2 geo, which is what I understand is posted on the Trek website.
Same as the rim brake. Bottom of the page; https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bike ... =black_red

thebubbatex

by thebubbatex

jeffy wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:46 pm
can they be set up as 140mm front & rear?
Yes.

thebubbatex

by thebubbatex

TNumber5 wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:58 pm
T.J. here.

Sorry don't have a weight with new saddle I'll weigh it tomorrow! Just got it on there today. This bike is a beast. Trek hit the ball out of the park with this one. And its not a bad looking bike. Sorry im small and it doesnt have that top tube look! Weight weenie disc bike? Need ideas! I got a flat today so screw you for judging my long stem in front. I sold the Madone with the big carbon wheels so that's all I had! O and I live in San Diego so I can't afford a white garage. I spend all my money on bikes. Oops!

6.98 kg with old saddle and pedals.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Nice ride. I am building up the SLR disc frameset now (waiting on the ST-R8020 shifters/disc brake set - which is 2 months backordered now). How do you like the wheels? I wanted to order a set when I ordered the frame but they are backordered and not expected in until mid-March. I opted for a set of HED Ardennes LT's for now. Funny - I thought I was getting the regular seat mast for $130USD and then my bike shop ordered the lower weight one like you have ($170) but they forgot to also get the seat mount. Had to order that as well. So, I have now have a $200 seat post.....

TNumber5

by TNumber5

What she looks like today. Yes it's a terrible pic.
Attachments
20181204_183233-01.jpeg

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

That's a nice build, but just an FYI: Trek requires you to leave 5mm of head tube over the stem for proper stem clamping and warranty purposes.

Fisherfreerider

by Fisherfreerider

FIJIGabe wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:05 pm
That's a nice build, but just an FYI: Trek requires you to leave 5mm of head tube over the stem for proper stem clamping and warranty purposes.
The bar/stem combo has the spacer relief built in to the stem part so you don't have to do that. Technically you are supposed to have one below.