CAADburys - '17 Purple CAAD12 Disc (7.86kg)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

by 573

Hello all. No disc rubbing that I've experienced. I know some are concerned on bixes with normal QRs but it's just not been a problem.

Frame size is a 54. I'll have to measure saddle height and what my inseam is. I'm 5' 11" though.

The Exposure is really good. I've used quite a few different light but really like this one. Raceware mont is quite solid and allows you to lock it into a position too. I find all the band type mounts slip over time.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

by 573

I recently set out to make the CAAD12 more comfortable. It's a great bike but compared to the Supersix it has a harsher ride that adds to rider fatigue. Main culprits in my opinion, other than the less compliant frame of course, were the saddle, seat post and bars. If I could improve the comfort of those and obviously save some weight too (this is WW right?) then that would be a win.

I love the Berk Lupina on my Evo. It's the comfiest saddle I've ever used. Not only due to shape but because the rails and saddle shell are so compliant too. So I removed the Fizik Arione R1 and swapped a Berk on. I'd previously tuned the Fizik, removing the Fizik badge and seatbag mount off the rear.

Fizik Arione R1 (tuned): 145g

Berk Lupina (padded, thin model, round rails): 96g (Interestingly my other padded Lupina weighed 85g on the same scales...)

Difference: -49g

For the 25.4mm seat tube of the CAAD, there's still not a massive choice. I went with the 'default' Hylix carbon, partly because at £44 (UK) delivered the weight / price ratio is really good.

Standard Cannondale post, cut down with Di2 battery mount removed: 202g

Hylix: 173g

Hylix cut down: 145g

Difference: -57g

The yellow CAAD came with a set of 3T Ergonovas. Unfortunately they were 42cm ones and I prefer 40cm. I have 40cm Ergonova Ltds on the Supersix and they're really comfortable (they're also 168g). The carbon dampens road buzz and vibrations and takes the harshness out of the ride. I decided to save a few quid over the Ltds, especially as I found a set of Ergonova Team Stealths in 40cm in a sale.

3T Ergonova Pro (42cm): 323g

3T Ergonova Team (40cm): 198g

Difference: -125g

Total: -231g

So, mission accomplished, the ride comfort is noticeably better. Weight reduction is obviously always good too. And I think the bike looks better.

New weight is 7.86kg

...which for an alu disc bike on Ultegra isn't bad.

Lots more to do though...

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Hope do purple hubs and brake calipers. It needs more purple. Luscious purple.

velov

by velov

Great build.
One question though...why go back to CAAD for a winter/beater bike when the tubing is so fragile?

by 573

Good question. I wanted something that fitted exactly the same as my Supersix. You make a good point about how fragile the CAAD12s seem to be though. The frame has a warranty though, I guess it it fails I'll be asking for a replacement.

velov

by velov

Makes sense, having the exact same geometry would be pretty useful. In making the CAAD12 ride so well Cannondale has basically forced itself to take away the advantage of owning an Al bike imo (not factoring in cost of course).

by 573

bm0p700f wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:16 am
I missed this comment before.

Both are on my radar :D . To fit the Hope calipers I really need a flat-mount front fork. I'm keeping my eye out for a Supersix Hi-Mod disc one to use.

And for weight purposes, new wheels would make a huge difference, the current Easton EA90 XDs are cyclocross wheels. They are absolutely bomb-proof but are ~1700g! :unbelievable: When i change them I'll consider some of the purple Hope hubs.

Gary71

by Gary71

573 wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:21 pm
bm0p700f wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:16 am
I missed this comment before.

Both are on my radar :D . To fit the Hope calipers I really need a flat-mount front fork. I'm keeping my eye out for a Supersix Hi-Mod disc one to use.

And for weight purposes, new wheels would make a huge difference, the current Easton EA90 XDs are cyclocross wheels. They are absolutely bomb-proof but are ~1700g! :unbelievable: When i change them I'll consider some of the purple Hope hubs.
575 - Any updates on your build?
I have your original 2016 yellow / green CAAD12 frame and am just about to convert it to Di2.

by 573

Oh that's cool. I didn't know if you planned to ride it, use it on the turbo or what. I guess it's holding out OK then?

No real updates on my CAAD12, I've used it on the turbo all winter and once a week for a Sunday ride. Aiming to try to get back out more in the week now we've got more light. But this year most of my winter riding has been on MTB.

I'm off to Mallorca soon for a week's riding camp, I'm thinking of taking the CAAD instead of the Evo for one reason and another, tempted to stick a Hollowgram and some lighter wheels on it first, but also interested to see what the CAAD13 is like and thinking maybe I'll wait for that and not invest too much in this if axle formats on that might be different.

onemanpeloton

by onemanpeloton

Surprised by the weight of the alu ergonovas. They're listed as 265g!
2020 Trek Boone
2017 Merida Reacto
2017 Trek Superfly AL

3Pio

by 3Pio

This is very nice build and this purple is best colour for CAAD12....

I also opted for CAAD12 as my second bike (winter bike, travel bike, etc...), and allready have aroudn 1500 km on it from January.. My first bike is Colnago C60, and now for CAAD12 wait for 115 stem which will put me in exact same position as C60...

Anyway, im interested about Hylix Seatpost u use... I read that u have to torque 15 nm to avoid saddle slipping, and 15nm to me sound too much for carbon rails.. And how does this seatpost ride compared to Stock or even better to SAVE seatpost? And does it support oval rails saddles (all my saddles are oval rails)

by 573

They sell a post to support either round or oval rails; You specify at the time of ordering. Hard to say how it compares to the Save post as I changed the saddle at the same time. Mine isn't torqued anywhere near as high as 15nm and it hasn't slipped.

by 573

Finally managed to get hold of a Hi-Mod flat mount fork off a Supersix Evo. Will update once I've stripped it etc. :thumbup:

Thomson

by Thomson

Really like this👍7.86kg is great 👍

by 573

Thanks. It should hit <6.8kg soon with a swap of fork, crankset and wheels.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com