It’s Miller Time! Gotobike B36 with EPS and TRP Hy/Rd discs - now full hydro p3

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Delorre

by Delorre

For me, you have the wrong bearings. Take a look here http://www.fsaeasyheadset.com/configuration/ C-40 and N°42 are different ones. I could be wrong, but looking at your pic, the angle of the inner face of your bearing doesn't match the angle of the crown race. Did they ship the frameset without the headset?

Miller

by Miller

I think you're right that I have the wrong bearing but... there are six headsets on that page listed as no42?!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Delorre

by Delorre

Miller wrote:I think you're right that I have the wrong bearing but... there are six headsets on that page listed as no42?!

Yep, that's what I told to myself : "good lord, all those different n°42 headsets" Good luck with that :?

ms6073

by ms6073

Correction, now that I see the images on a full size computer screen, the bevel of the bearing makes it pretty apparent to me that it is the wrong lower bearing!
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

joejack951

by joejack951

Miller wrote:The wheels I built from a Bdop cycling kit: Novatec centrelock hubs, Cx-ray spokes, carbon 40mm deep 26mm wide rim. They are lovely rims, 410g, tubeless compatible. They’re wearing Schwalbe One tubeless (original not Pro) in 28mm width. They weigh a ton, 390g, but they roll really nicely.

Is 410 grams a actual weight? That would make me even more disappointed with my Hongfu-sourced UAM AR40-T (tubular) rims which came in at 405 grams each (380 claimed).

The Hongfu FM079-F frame I used is at least considerably lighter than your B36 at 1060 grams for a size 50cm, and 400 grams for the uncut fork.

My flat mount TRP HY/RD calipers are also marked 'HY-ROAD'.

Miller

by Miller

Yes, I weighed the Bdop carbon/disc/tubeless rims at 410g each. The bare wheels built up to 690g front, 810g rear. Kind of a shame about the disc rotors and heavy rubber, lol.

I got a new lower headset bearing today, ACB 36/45 52mm OD. It's the correct fit and the fork/frame interface now looks correct.

lwk

by lwk

Miller wrote:Yes, I weighed the Bdop carbon/disc/tubeless rims at 410g each. The bare wheels built up to 690g front, 810g rear. Kind of a shame about the disc rotors and heavy rubber, lol.

I got a new lower headset bearing today, ACB 36/45 52mm OD. It's the correct fit and the fork/frame interface now looks correct.

Glad you got your headset sorted :thumbup:

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I like it. Kind of tempted to get one myself. Too many bikes though and there is not space in the garage for another.

kidrob

by kidrob

Miller wrote:I got a new lower headset bearing today, ACB 36/45 52mm OD. It's the correct fit and the fork/frame interface now looks correct.

-> Can I ask what exactly you ordered/where?
I am building a Fm-008 atm (viewtopic.php?p=1343958#p1343958) and just installed the Hengfu headset. It is heavy and I have the feeling its not too tight simply because of the bottom part where the bearing is sitting on the "oval shaped" ring at the very bottom. Do/did you have some clearance there, too? Did you solve the "gap"?

Miller

by Miller

That bearing description should identify it enough? I went to a local shop that has a decent workshop and they were able to supply the correct bearing. Its inner edges are more chamfered than the bearing pictured on p1 of this thread so it sits lower on the crown race. Fork now sits closer to frame, as below.

Your new build looks lovely and will be very personal. That's the payoff for building your own bike.

kidrob

by kidrob

Miller wrote:That bearing description should identify it enough?

Thanks for the info and even the pic, looks great! You have a link/product description by any chance to order it somehwere?

Miller

by Miller

The ever-helpful Nancy at Gotobike provided this photo of what I presume is an FSA technical catalogue showing details of the required headset. Lower bearing id is FSA TH-073E ACB 1.5.

Last edited by Miller on Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kidrob

by kidrob

Thanks a ton! :beerchug:

stockae92

by stockae92

How does the HY/Rd brakes? In brake feel and performance? its interesting.

jever98

by jever98

Good bar wrapping skills. Respect.
----
No longer in the industry

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com