It’s Miller Time! Gotobike B36 with EPS and TRP Hy/Rd discs - now full hydro p3

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Miller

by Miller

It took a while but I got round to completing this bike. This is my take on a modern disc-based fast road machine. The frame is a Gotobike B36. I paid a little extra to get them to provide personalised decals. ‘Miller’ is actually a family name.

This is one of their standard colourways. I liked the colour scheme and went with it. Didn’t want stealth black.

I’m a Campag guy so went with TRP Hy-roads in the new flat-mount style, 140mm at the rear and 160mm at the front. Maybe there will be an upgrade to full Campag hydro as money and inclination allow.

I’ve noticed that a lot of current road disc bikes have messy cable routing. Digital shifting allows for much cleaner cabling although I still need to tidy it up a bit. The bars are Zipp Aero SL which I’m liking very much. There’s a good transition of bar into shifter body.

TRP centrelock rotors.

Cable ports allow for mech or elec shifter cables.

Chunky BB86 bottom bracket shell. Image

12mm thru-axles front and rear.

The wheels I built from a Bdop cycling kit: Novatec centrelock hubs, Cx-ray spokes, carbon 40mm deep 26mm wide rim. They are lovely rims, 410g, tubeless compatible. They’re wearing Schwalbe One tubeless (original not Pro) in 28mm width. They weigh a ton, 390g, but they roll really nicely.

The frame finishing is very nice, I have no complaints.

The bike is not superlight, around 8.3kg as pictured. I’ve hardly put any time in on yet so ride assessment is to follow.
Last edited by Miller on Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

Those brake calipers are huge and really ugly! That aside, it's a good looking bike.

kidrob

by kidrob

Awesome! Beautiful color!

joejack951

by joejack951

burglarboycie wrote:Those brake calipers are huge and really ugly!

Pick your poison. I'd rather hold something nicer (like normal Campy levers) than have smaller calipers.

Hellgate

by Hellgate

I'm surprised at the weight. Ouch.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

gravity

by gravity

Super!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lwk

by lwk

It looks great Miller. Maybe just have a look whether the headset bearings are seated correctly as the gap looks a bit big between fork and frame
Attachments
Here's a pic of complete build by gotobike
Here's a pic of complete build by gotobike

Miller

by Miller

Thanks for the comments, all.

Yes, I agree the Hy/rd calipers aren't the most discreet but they have good functionality. In this case they're enhanced with revised lever arms supplied by Joejack951 which better match the cable pull offered by Campag ergos. Very nicely machined parts, may I say, quality work.

I will take a look at the headset set-up.

Weight-wise, it is what it is. The bare frame came in at 1280gr and disc forks are over 400g. The TRP calipers are around 200g each but enable discs. EPS adds a battery but you get fab shifting. The tyres are heavy but roll beautifully and enable light off-road if I can bear to get the bike dirty. And I was trying to avoid spiralling cost, it's not that cheap a build even as it is.

gewichtweenie

by gewichtweenie

nice colorway and fantastic overall build.

wondering why your calipers actually say "Hy-Road"? Just received mine and theyre marked 'HyRd"... just like all other photos on the web.

Maybe its a post-mount vs flat-mount thing

Geoff

by Geoff

Ok, that's nice, too. What's with all the great paint all of a sudden?

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Wow, nice one. The color is captivating.

Do you know what the max tire size is for this frameset?
Looking forward to a review of ride qualities.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Miller

by Miller

I'm running 28mm Schwalbe at the moment which I measure at 29mm width inflated. There's room for a few mm more, would definitely be good out to 30mm at least. The frame is not gravel bike wide though.

The 'Hy-road' calipers - it's just how they arrived.

About the headset, I pulled the fork off this morning to look at how the headset is assembled but I can't see what I can do differently with these parts. The bottom bearing sits quite high up on the fork crown race.

This bearing is a 6808rs. The inner diameter has a slight chamfer, same both sides. It can't sit any lower than it does.

Gotobike said the required headset is FSA no42. This headset is an FSA C-40 Tapered Headset (No.42) but I agree, there is a gap between fork and frame. Ideas, anyone?

kidrob

by kidrob

I am building my Hongfu atm, the order my headset was shipped and kinda fits well is:
IMG_20170901_150359.jpg
(left is up)
-> I suppose the silver ring you have on the very bottom atm belong "into"/on top of the bearing (thats for me the black one)?

ms6073

by ms6073

Miller wrote:Gotobike said the required headset is FSA no42. This headset is an FSA C-40 Tapered Headset (No.42) but I agree, there is a gap between fork and frame. Ideas, anyone?

That is the wrong crown race as the bearing should fit flush to the race. How long ago did you purchase that frame as full carbon forks typically have the bearing seat manufactured as part of the steered tube and do not require an external crown race.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Miller

by Miller

It's a 2017 frame. The fork does not have a moulded-in bearing seat.