2012 Cervelo R5 VWD 6.718kg. Oldie but Goodie. Updated PICS/Build. Pg 2!

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Ritsuke

by Ritsuke

Beautiful bike! I myself would drop the white bar tape and maybe get rid of the red on the bars. But that's only minor details, lovely bike!
Road // 2023 S-Works Tarmac SL8 | Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 | Roval Rapide CLX
Gravel // 2023 Specialized Crux Pro | SRAM Force AXS | Roval Terra CL
Retired // 2022 S-Works Shiv TT // 2021 S-Works Tarmac SL7 // 2019 Specialized Allez Sprint Red Hook

MomentumR5

by MomentumR5

Ritsuke wrote:Beautiful bike! I myself would drop the white bar tape and maybe get rid of the red on the bars. But that's only minor details, lovely bike!

You know it's about the details. :) This is what we do here on Weight Weenies.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ritsuke

by Ritsuke

That's why I did mention them after all. :lol:
Road // 2023 S-Works Tarmac SL8 | Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 | Roval Rapide CLX
Gravel // 2023 Specialized Crux Pro | SRAM Force AXS | Roval Terra CL
Retired // 2022 S-Works Shiv TT // 2021 S-Works Tarmac SL7 // 2019 Specialized Allez Sprint Red Hook

ntb1001

by ntb1001

These are still very nice bikes.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

MomentumR5

by MomentumR5

ntb1001 wrote:These are still very nice bikes.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Yes they are. I would like to pull the trigger on a newer generation R5 but don't know if the improvements are that much better.

BigDog

by BigDog

Not really a fan of Cervelo's but this is fantastic!

AZR3

by AZR3

I really liked Cervelo's 2012 colors, I had the black/red R3 Team and always wanted the R5, very nice looking bike

nobuseri

by nobuseri

Nice build. I have one built here. Very light frame. Not a WW build, but came out to 6.94kg (Ultegra pedals - ready to ride) for a 61 frameset. Force 22 group and Red Quarq. Alloy stem and bars.
One of the main diff between this and my ‘16 R5, besides a bit lighter weight and the internal routing, is the room for wider tires.
Cicli Barco XCr Road
Moots VaMoots
Parlee Z1
SuperX Hi-Mod Disc

MomentumR5

by MomentumR5

nobuseri wrote:Nice build. I have one built here. Very light frame. Not a WW build, but came out to 6.94kg (Ultegra pedals - ready to ride) for a 61 frameset. Force 22 group and Red Quarq. Alloy stem and bars.
One of the main diff between this and my ‘16 R5, besides a bit lighter weight and the internal routing, is the room for wider tires.

That's a good weight for a 61. I'll have an update coming soon. Pulled the trigger on the full DA9100 mechanical group set. Will do some weight tuning to my seat post too. I'll post my wife's BMC ALR01 Build in a separate page in a few weeks.

alistaird

by alistaird

MomentumR5 wrote:
jmagoulas wrote:Beautiful timeless bike. Well done. Constructive criticism... Drop the ENVE stem and 3T post and go with Deda Superzero. (The lines match the boxy tubes on the Cervelo) and black tape with red stitch to set it apart from the others. Just my $.02

Yes, I can look into that as long as those components are lighter. I do like the clean set up of the Enve Stem/Garmin Combo. I hadn't seen BLK tape with Red Stitch before. What brand?

Not quite Black with Red Stitch but this is what I use on my Colnago (Cinelli Red Hook reversible Bar Tape):

A

MomentumR5

by MomentumR5

alistaird wrote:
MomentumR5 wrote:
jmagoulas wrote:Beautiful timeless bike. Well done. Constructive criticism... Drop the ENVE stem and 3T post and go with Deda Superzero. (The lines match the boxy tubes on the Cervelo) and black tape with red stitch to set it apart from the others. Just my $.02

Yes, I can look into that as long as those components are lighter. I do like the clean set up of the Enve Stem/Garmin Combo. I hadn't seen BLK tape with Red Stitch before. What brand?

Not quite Black with Red Stitch but this is what I use on my Colnago (Cinelli Red Hook reversible Bar Tape):

A

Looks nice but that's too BLING for me.

jmagoulas

by jmagoulas

Was thinking the master Busyman for tape.

http://busymanbicycles.blogspot.com/

MomentumR5

by MomentumR5

jmagoulas wrote:Was thinking the master Busyman for tape.

http://busymanbicycles.blogspot.com/

Woah! Now that's refined. For a Proper Gentleman. Nice!! I did update my bike with a new group. I'll submit photos once I can work FlickR.

MomentumR5

by MomentumR5

Updated Photos! Complete DA9100 group now incl. pedals. Didn't get a chance to ride it yet. Blah... I love the updated group over the DA9K. So refined.

ImageR5/Allez by Michael Nguyen, on Flickr

deanhall3

by deanhall3

Beautiful build!

Curious how much clearance you have with that wheel and tire set up? I’m building one up now and running into the issue where my Hed Belgium rims with GP 4000s 25mm are cutting it a little too close for comfort with the clearance, especially by the seat stays.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com