First "proper" race bike, Cannondale SuperSix Evo Hi-Mod

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

davidv

by davidv

Hello everyone!
This is my first post on this forum, though I have been reading and enjoying the forum for quite some time. I recently purchased what I consider to be my first "proper" race bike - a Cannondale SuperSix Evo Hi-Mod Ultegra. To me this is a real superbike and a bike that I have wanted for years. I do, of course, know that there are more super superbikes, and I would not say no to a Colnago or an Oltre Xr4, but being a father of two and owning a house from the 1850's that needs to be renovated every now and then this has taken me quite some time to save up for. Anyway, after changing the roof on our house this summer, my wife gave me the green light on buying a new road bike and I decided to purchase this one. I have been absolutely blown away by how nice it rides and I am very happy with my purchase.

The bikes weighs 7.1 kilos at the time being (pedals, bottle cages and Garmin mount included) and while this is 3.5 kilos lighter than my previous bike I would like to lower the weight a bit more. Initially I would like to get the bike down to 6.8 kilos, but I would not mind getting it even lighter.

The specs are as follows (copied from Cannondale's website):
FRAME: SuperSix EVO, BallisTec Hi-MOD Carbon, Di2 Compatible, SPEED SAVE, PressFit BB30a
FORK: SuperSix EVO, SPEED SAVE, BallisTec full Carbon, 1-1/8" to 1-1/4" steerer, integrated crown race
RIMS: Cannondale HollowGram Si Carbon Clincher, 17mm inner, 35mm deep
HUBS: Cannondale HollowGram, sealed bearing, 18h (F), 24h (RR)
TIRES: Schwalbe ONE, folding, 700x25c
CRANK: Cannondale HollowGram Si, BB30a, w/ OPI SpideRing, 52/36
BOTTOM BRACKET: Cannondale Alloy PressFit30
CHAIN: Shimano HG701, 11-speed
SHIFTERS, COGS, DERAILIEURS, BRAKES: Shimano Ultegra
HANDLEBAR: Cannondale C1 Ultralight, 7050 Alloy, Compact
GRIPS: Fi'zi:k Microtex Superlight Classic
STEM: Cannondale C1 Ultralight, 2014 Alloy, 31.8, 6 deg. w/ integrated Garmin Mount
HEADSET: SuperSix EVO, 1-1/4" lower bearing, 25mm carbon top cap
SADDLE: Fi'zi:k Arione R5 w/ MG Rail
SIZE: 56

I would like to hear your tips and ideas for lowering the weight. What do you think would be a good place to start? Are there any non-expensive ways of lowering the weight to start with?

Furthermore, I have two questions that I would like to ask. I am a big fan of the looks of tan wall tires. Are there any downsides to these? I have not used them before, but I would like to try them out. Are they less durable than the wheels I have now? Also, would it be possible to get a thinner "spacer" (I am not sure that this is the right word for the last part closest to the frame) to get the handlebar and stem lower?
Last edited by davidv on Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.

evan326

by evan326

There you go.
Obvious firsts would be small stuff like skewers, saddle, cutting the fork. I'm pretty sure the evo's come with a 5mm alloy spacer under the cone spacer.
Congrats and nice bike!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

davidv

by davidv

Thank you evan326 for the tips and uploading the picture! I could not figure out how to add a picture to my post (edit: figured it out!).
I will cut the fork in a while and I suppose that might help me with the weight.

evan326

by evan326

Also with the bigger picture it looks like that may not be the carbon seatpost. The hylix is the best 25.4 option around under $200. I'm sure those bottle cages are pretty heavy too.

shuttlenote

by shuttlenote

^lol so it begins...

Asteroid

by Asteroid

You will see numerous Evo's on weightweenies. Fantastic ride with excellent handling. And weighs in at a rather low starting point.

Cheapest fixes for me (non hi mod):
* L&S skewers on eBay saved me 80g for under $40.
* steerer insert and top cap saved another 80g with pieces bought on eBay for under $20.
* a KMC or Dura Ace chain is probably lighter a few grams lighter. (Replace only if yours is worn.)
* not inexpensive at around $200, but a Berk List covered saddle weighs about 95g will drop 130g off that Fizik. Very comfy, too.

You can save the most weight going to a nice set of tubulars, but it might mean selling one of your children. :mrgreen:
Oldbie

evan326

by evan326

shuttlenote wrote:^lol so it begins...

What begins?

davidv

by davidv

Thank you, for your suggestions. I had no idea that the skewers would be important.
The seatpost is the carbon seat post that came with the bike.

KCookie

by KCookie

evan326 wrote:

What begins?

The never ending slippery slope to keep shaving weight off our bikes. WW has cost me a fortune. :)

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

KCookie wrote:
evan326 wrote:

What begins?

The never ending slippery slope to keep shaving weight off our bikes. WW has cost me a fortune. :)

Still costing me

I've even gone so far as to loose weight & get fitter :D
Building Spec Allez

Sold
Fuji SL 5.5kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157704

Sold -
Izalco Max Disc 6.7kg http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... o+Max+disc

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

Congrats on the new bike! She's a stunner. I'd echo mostly what's been said above, skewers are a great and very cheap way to shed some grams, maybe take a look at Planet X. Also try some lightweight inner tubes, I've had great success with Continental Supersonic tubes.
Although you've already got a carbon post on the bike, I'd recommend a hylix from eBay. I had one on my evo and it was great. Cut it down as much as possible and it'll be a very light post for less than £50!! Also the saddle is an easy place to shed serious weight, those Fiziks are pretty heavy (and I found mine terribly uncomfortable) i went to a carbon seat from eBay and saved about 180g if I remember correctly.
Obviously wheels will be the place to save the serious weight but some serious financial saving may need to happen first!! :lol:
In the meantime, enjoy the ride!!
Last edited by burglarboycie on Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

by 573

Nice looking bike.

Wheels will be the key to the largest weight loss. Do some research into actual weights rather than manufacturer's quotes and you should be able to make a good loss for a sensible outlay.