My first road bike and my first build - UPDATE

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Ritsuke

by Ritsuke

Love the CX but i'd love it even more with cleaner cable routing.
Road // 2023 S-Works Tarmac SL8 | Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 | Roval Rapide CLX
Gravel // 2023 Specialized Crux Pro | SRAM Force AXS | Roval Terra CL
Retired // 2022 S-Works Shiv TT // 2021 S-Works Tarmac SL7 // 2019 Specialized Allez Sprint Red Hook

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mtek

by Mtek

jever98 wrote:Great build, whether first or not. Chapeau!

For me the Enves would be a bit high for this kind of build. I'll be going more road disc and am going with Venn TCD35 rims.

What size are the rotors? Look like they could be 140s.

Enves are high agree, but I wanted the internal width of 25mm they offer. The only really wide internal I found was these or Stan’s Avion. Ironically though, I’ve been watching the Venn thread. I want a set of the those, maybe tubular model.

Rotors are 140, good eye. I have 160 not installed but need to order adapter for the fork to mount.

Mtek

by Mtek

Ritsuke wrote:Love the CX but i'd love it even more with cleaner cable routing.

Thank you. Any advice to what looks better?

SampsC50

by SampsC50

That gearing! U live on top of a mountain?
Trek Madone 9 Project One
Colnago C50 PR11

Ex: Eddie Merckx EMX-7, Colnago Master, Rose Pro SL Carbon

Mtek

by Mtek

SampsC50 wrote:That gearing! U live on top of a mountain?

I need for the steep gravel trails around here, its 1x system with 42t up front.

I took outdoor pic, I am happy. The tires ride extremely nice, I read they are not durable but hope I have no issues.

stormur

by stormur

Finally :)

MO : Cables are to long. Rear brake way to long. I still hate hydro road levers look. -10 degree stem would look better. TT is almost horizontal and 6 degrees looks like "riser". gumwall doesn't fit. Wear black or nothing ;) . High profile wheels will look very fine with black tires, maybe with narrower width ( if visual is the point ). Saddle is pointed to much "nose down" , you're sliding forward... Gearing ( someone's comment ) ; if you take off of the front, you have to add at the back, and still it won't be same performance. No free lunch. Reason why 1x ( except racing, in which ....I do not participate ) is not gonna happened to me ;) .

If I could skip erected levers ( but I can't ) then tires make visually bike "overloaded" , "heavy".
I build mine quiet similar ( Sram Red22 ) but on low profile wheels. Have 38mm , but they're just visually less appealing ( to me ).
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

Mtek

by Mtek

@stormur Lol, I know it took long. Every time I get started, I have to order special tool for something, XD driver for wheels, etc etc. I learned as I went. I am happy though and I chose this from some of your advice.

I purchased this model as “frame set” as CX01 only comes with front derailleur mount that way. Maybe one day I will go 2x, but I think I’ll build a dictated bike and leave this 1x.

The too long cables are bothering me now that it’s been pointed out, I’ll have to fix. Seat, and controls were set for me during professional “fitting”. I know your advice would look better, but this bike is for function and my comfort. I want next a beautiful De Rosa, looks for that important.

Thank you brother

stormur

by stormur

Look at bar/levers position vs saddle ; both points that way it made v shape : ( not native speaker so excuse me.. ) ; it looks like bar+ levers are compensating your sliding forward caused by saddle . I know this may work for some ( Yes Matt, it's about you ;) ) , but it's not "right" .

I use simliar ( if not same ) shaped saddle... I know how it feels ;)

Biggest value of the bike is how it rides. This can't be judged by looking at pics. That is for owners only :)Image
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

Mtek

by Mtek

@stormur I spent a few hours on it today. I rotated bars down bit, saddle feels good though. Your bike looks great btw. I will clean up cables, but tan wall stays lol.

I want to buy a high end road frame to build but I love this honeymoon with my BMC, I don’t want anything to over shadow it. People I rode with like it too and I have a lot of pride I built myself.

MarkTwain

by MarkTwain

I love tan side walls, but agree they make this setup look a little too busy.

Otherwise a hell of a first road bike.

Mtek

by Mtek

Ok I weighed BMC as it is pictured and could use some help, it is 7.89kg. I have procured a THM SE crankset from fairwheel and Selle SP-01 saddle from Germany (lightest model), will go with extralight stem too. I know I will need to reduce and clean up the cabling, so I got a packet of sram brake olives to cut down excess hoses, I can also cut stem properly to save weight too (professional must do this part). Any other ideas helpful. I would like to get under 7kg, but wheels must stay and I need all road tires of at least 30 wide. Please advise and thanks.

MarkTwain wrote:I love tan side walls, but agree they make this setup look a little too busy.

Otherwise a hell of a first road bike.

Thank you, I know others have said no to tan walls too. I am used to it and like it though lol...a pic of my XC bike below. I love tan walls and will always choose if I can, I especially like when they start to develop a worn patina and look well used.

piatpif

by piatpif

Hi, I am looking into buying a 2nd hand 2017 CX01 size 57. Could you help me with two questions:

1. How tall you are vs your frame size and how happy you are with it?
2. Are you overall still happy with your bikes? Any unexpected problems?

I am 180cm/72kg with 83-84cm legs (stand over) and have now BMC GF02 size 56, and am concerned that size 57 might be a bit too big. However the stem is 130mm so going down to 100mm should solve the problem. The CX01 will come in 2x11 setup with Di2 Ultegra and I am not going to race so it suits me fine. I just want safety of disc brakes and option to be able to put a wide tires for offroad.

Any help greatly appreciated. :thumbup:

piatpif

by piatpif

..anyone?

one more thing..

How well the disc brakes behave considering there is just quickrelease front/rear and not the thru axle?

Thx

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

piatpif wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:24 pm
How well the disc brakes behave considering there is just quickrelease front/rear and not the thru axle?
Quick releases with disc brakes worked just fine for me across several bikes.

peterlee

by peterlee

It's wondeful, how was Enve 4.5 ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com