Godzuki26's Wife goes aero - Felt AR FRD 48cm

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

jever98

by jever98

godzuki26 wrote:If I want to go absolute lightest and use the Clavicula SE, the crankset requires a heavier THM bottom bracket. The THM BB30 bottom bracket weighs 85 grams. The FSA BB30 bottom bracket that works with the SRAM RED crankset weighs only 42 grams.

Clavicula SE: 295grams + 85 grams = 380 grams
SRAM RED: 349grams + 42 grams = 391 grams

On the way to me is a full ceramic bottom bracket that weighs 34 grams claimed.

SRAM RED: 349grams + 34 grams = 383 grams

So from a dollar per gram perspective, there is much more value with the $150 (Ebay) I paid for the SRAM RED vs the $1500 I paid for the Clavicula SE.

Have you considered Specialized S-Works? Pretty light if I recall correctly
----
No longer in the industry

53x12

by 53x12

godzuki26 wrote:Here is the frame minus the rear derailleur hanger and the grommets. 1063 grams!!!! Ugh!!! Mediocre!!!!!! Very heavy and very disappointing for this size. I have seen AR1's in larger sizes which are lighter than this. Maybe I have an extra layer of clear coat? The only way to find out is to strip the frame down to bare Textreme. The Cervelo S5 is lighter than this. However, the Scott Foil is even lighter. As mentioned earlier, I wanted all cable entries through the top tube which the Cervelo and Scott do not have.

I've been trying to make sense of this as 1063 for a size 48 AR FRD doesn't make sense to me. I know it is true since you posted it, but still strange. The AR1 in a size 54 weighs around 1070g for the frame.

viewtopic.php?t=129091

Better bang for the buck to buy the AR1, then get the AR FRD seat post?

godzuki26 wrote:Hello everyone,
Rather than continue posting on Godzuki26 Wife's Cannondale Evo HiMod 48cm, I thought I would create a dedicated thread for this build process. I was able to pick up a 48cm Felt AR FRD frame. My thought was this would be the lightest aero road frame available. I recall seeing a video where a 56cm was weighed in at 895 grams.

You weren't wrong. Dave Koesel (SuperDave) did the weight on a YouTube video. But it was for the "raw" version of the frame in a 56cm.

"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

godzuki26 wrote:Thanks Ryan! Yes I need to consider width for a smaller person. I appreciate the input.

nb Aeronovas are flared and about 16mm narrower at the levers.

godzuki26

by godzuki26

@Jever98 - The S works crankset is a heavier version of the Lightning SL crankset. The arms and spyder are both heavier When individually weighed. They are pretty much the same cranks as Specialized uses Lightning's patent for their cranks.

@53x12 - I was hoping for a sub 850 gram frame after all stripped down. 983 grams bare is not what I expected. Yes I am confused too. I just need to make up the weight elsewhere :thumb up
Last edited by godzuki26 on Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
:arrow: BH Ultralight
:arrow: Litespeed Ghisallo
:arrow: Scott Addict Singlespeed

ImageCannondale Evo HiMod
ImageFelt AR FRD

jever98

by jever98

From my experience they aren't, only the coupling was the same up to 2016. The axle has always been shorter. Not sure about the relative weight to Lightning.
----

godzuki26

by godzuki26

The shorter spindle Sworks cranks are about 380 grams.

https://cerrol.wordpress.com/tag/specia ... z/page/13/

ImageFelt AR FRD

jever98

by jever98

You're right, mea culpa - just put some 175mm ones on the scales - 404 g with spider. I had kept them in mind as a light option for spider-PM use.
----

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Definitely better bang for the buck to buy the AR1 or AR2 but I would advise against swapping the post to anyone that actually wants to ride! The VM module in the AR1/AR2 post is the reason for the extra weight - it also makes the ride bearable. My AR1 was very close to the feeling of riding my SL4 Tarmac. My FRD was easily the stiffest ride I've experienced - moreso than 1st gen Foil, Venge, TMR01.

bikemaniack

by bikemaniack

How long does it takes you to remove the paint by sand papar???

53x12

by 53x12

Imaking20 wrote:Definitely better bang for the buck to buy the AR1 or AR2 but I would advise against swapping the post to anyone that actually wants to ride! The VM module in the AR1/AR2 post is the reason for the extra weight - it also makes the ride bearable. My AR1 was very close to the feeling of riding my SL4 Tarmac. My FRD was easily the stiffest ride I've experienced - moreso than 1st gen Foil, Venge, TMR01.

I agree. The AR1 is highly underrated. I know people complain about the under BB rear brake. Other than that, there isn't really much to complain about. Good price. Aero. Stiff. Comfortable. Ok weight considering the type of frame.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

godzuki26

by godzuki26

My wife loves her DASH P3 saddle on her Cannondale. Unfortunately, DASH has discontinued many of their saddles including the M4 saddle I will be using for this build. I don't like the white "D" logo so I removed it.

ImageFelt AR FRD

godzuki26

by godzuki26

I am all stripped down and ready. Will the Textreme carbon look cool with the Madfiber's 12K carbon pattern? But, are Madfiber wheels aero? These are the tubuar version so I will not have issues with delamination.

ImageFelt AR FRD

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

Imaking20 wrote:Definitely better bang for the buck to buy the AR1 or AR2 but I would advise against swapping the post to anyone that actually wants to ride! The VM module in the AR1/AR2 post is the reason for the extra weight - it also makes the ride bearable. My AR1 was very close to the feeling of riding my SL4 Tarmac. My FRD was easily the stiffest ride I've experienced - moreso than 1st gen Foil, Venge, TMR01.

So weird that we had such different experiences with our AR FRD's. Seems like weights are all over the board too. I'm pretty sure my 56cm was ~1050g with bottle cage bolts and hangers.

godzuki26

by godzuki26

@bikemaniack - removing paint from a frame using sand paper is a royal pain in the ass. It takes time and gets boring very quickly. I would sand for about an hour a day after work. On weekends maybe 2 to 3 hours. I think this took me about 6 to 8 hours to sand everything after adding up all the time.

ImageFelt AR FRD

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

godzuki26

by godzuki26

@SLCBrandon - I did read through all 1296 posts on the 2014 Felt AR1 thread before deciding on pursuing this frame. I was 99% certain that the frame would be in the mid to low 900 gram range. This frame was never intended to be a weight weenie bike when designed by Felt engineers so I am not bothered by it any more. I am going to try and make this build as aero as possible with the lightest parts possible. How did the saying go again?? Aero is Light and Right.

ImageFelt AR FRD