Godzuki26's Wife goes aero - Felt AR FRD 48cm

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

godzuki26

by godzuki26

If my wife hates the bike I am riding it. I will use the 3T Aeronova handlebar with a 120mm Ax Lightness Rigid stem. My other lever is almost done.

:arrow: BH Ultralight
:arrow: Litespeed Ghisallo
:arrow: Scott Addict Singlespeed

ImageCannondale Evo HiMod
ImageFelt AR FRD

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

godzuki26

by godzuki26

With the flash on my iPhone. I am not liking the "F" decal. Should I take it off and reclear coat it? All I know for certain is I am using black bar tape for this. I entertained the idea of purple Lizard Skins DSP 2.5mm tape but that will be too much.

ImageFelt AR FRD

yinya

by yinya

What about the two silver bolts on front brake - make them purple and take off the decal from the brake?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

themidge

by themidge

+1, would be a good compromise, the 'f' decal is a little too much. And thank goodness you're going for black bar tape, purple would have been a bit naff.

jever98

by jever98

Personally am not too enamoured by the F and the SRAM decals: they look like a different type of purple and look more matte than the painted ones on the carbon. Would also vote for the F to go
----
No longer in the industry

JLS

by JLS

This bar tape could possibly look good.

KarlC

by KarlC

godzuki26 wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:10 am
My wife is a tiny 105 lbs. Yes these 85mm wheels will road sail her into hazards if the wind picks up. I know she will hate these wheels. I personally don't like them as well because they are heavy as hell and do not meet weight weenie standards......but they look cool = my wife is a FRED :up: 55 tooth chainring and oversized pulleys. You guys get me yet ?:D
Maybe these ......

https://www.carbonbikewheels.com.au/pro ... -wheelset/
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

godzuki26

by godzuki26

@JLS - thanks for the bartape suggestion. I like it. I already got some black bartape I want to use first.

The SRAM logos look matte because I took the photo in a dark garage with the flash from my iPhone. Under daylight, the gloss clear coat makes the logo look shiny. Looks like the F logo needs to go for now. I will post some under the sunlight photos soon.

I will not be using the Hutchinson Atom Xlight tires. I need aero tires. With the Michelin Power Competiton in 25C, the wife can save 10 watts. With the 23C, she can save 7.5 Watts. Lol

I will stagger the tires and run the 23 up front and the 25 in the back. The weights on these tires are not bad at all. I did read that the sidewalks are prone to cuts easily.

ImageFelt AR FRD

gurk700

by gurk700

I haven't read the whole thread but a lot of people seem to think AR1 and AR FRD are the same thing. They are not. Hence the extra weight.

godzuki26

by godzuki26

Differences are UHC Ultimate vs UHC Advanced Carbon, both use Textreme but the FRD uses a a higher grade Textreme vs the AR1, the FRD has a full carbon shell for the bottom bracket vs the aluminum bottom bracket for the AR1.

Not sure what this all translates to with stiffness or ride comfort but all I know is this 48cm FRD weighs more than a 56cm AR1. :noidea:

ImageFelt AR FRD

gurk700

by gurk700

godzuki26 wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:08 pm
Differences are UHC Ultimate vs UHC Advanced Carbon, both use Textreme but the FRD uses a a higher grade Textreme vs the AR1, the FRD has a full carbon shell for the bottom bracket vs the aluminum bottom bracket for the AR1.

Not sure what this all translates to with stiffness or ride comfort but all I know is this 48cm FRD weighs more than a 56cm AR1. :noidea:
Sorry I assumed this frame is AR1. I don't recall the AR FRD ever having red logos. AR1 had red logos.. But I guess I'm wrong? (ok just checked again. I recalled wrong)

For reference, I've owned F1 and F FRD and there was definitely a good chunk of weight difference between the frames (~80g i think? it's been a while sorry) favoring the FRD.

So yeah either this frame is on the +% spectrum of weight or Felt AR frames aren't very accurate on claimed weights. My F1 and F FRD were spot on.

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

This is a very entertaining thread! Love the look of your "wife's" bike.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

godzuki26

by godzuki26

@gurk700 - I think I got the pig of the batch with this 48cm. I was expecting a sub 900 gram frame with the paint stripped off. This weight made me lose immediate interest in the F FRD.

ImageFelt AR FRD

gurk700

by gurk700

godzuki26 wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:48 am
@gurk700 - I think I got the pig of the batch with this 48cm. I was expecting a sub 900 gram frame with the paint stripped off. This weight made me lose immediate interest in the F FRD.
It is very surprising man. Sorry it didn't go as planned. FWIW Felt makes some nice bikes and in my experience they ride beautifully (and look badass) BUT if you're chasing a weight weenie project I can totally understand the frustration! :doh:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

godzuki26

by godzuki26

Been busy doing other stuff and have walked away from this project. I ended up getting the Recon Cassette. It is a combo between blue and purple. From different angles, the blue and purple alternate between being dominant. There is gold on this which I was afraid of.

ImageFelt AR FRD