Godzuki26's Wife goes aero - Felt AR FRD 48cm

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Jenmoss

by Jenmoss

Looks great . You know what, that’s the first time I have seen black chain make some Impact . Very cool. This may work or not , but get some matching nail varnish and paint your chain link purple .
Subtle and stylish. Hang it on the art gallery wall . :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

godzuki26

by godzuki26

I did not snap in the quick link chain because I have not finished debadging the Etap front derailleur. Once the chain is snapped into place it will line up just fine. I wanted to take a pic of the rear derailleur in its open position so I put the chain on it temporarily. I do not like the quick connect link being silver. I may need to switch to a KMC black chain because their quick links are black.

My wife is patient because she doesn’t even know I am building this. I am always working on bike stuff and all my bike stuff is black so she cannot determine what is old and what is new.
:arrow: BH Ultralight
:arrow: Litespeed Ghisallo
:arrow: Scott Addict Singlespeed

ImageCannondale Evo HiMod
ImageFelt AR FRD

themidge

by themidge

Unless you can make the cassette black I'd stick with silver for the chain, or go all purple :twisted:

TimmS

by TimmS

Just go with the helmet! this is getting better and better!

godzuki26

by godzuki26

Ceradure made the lightest coolest black cassettes but aren’t around anymore. I am not sure where I can get a black 11 speed cassette. I actually have silver on the rear derailleur that I cannot paint or reanodize because of the electrical. Fortunately it is at the back of the bike next to the cassette and does not clash too much.

If I get a purple chain, I would need to not use the the purple brake cable housing. I think a purple chain would take too much focus off the frame. I made this mistake with too much pink when pink anodized parts used to be in. However a small purple accent on the chain via the quick link will be cool :thumbup:

ImageFelt AR FRD

Jenmoss

by Jenmoss

Cassettes highlights the chain . If you use a black cassette the chain would disappear and not be such a stylish feature . You could go gold or rainbow ( recon) but for me the colour sits well with the silver on your rear mech.
Such a clean lean build . Love it :thumbup:

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

godzuki26 wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:23 pm
I am already into "FRED" territory with this build. Why not go "Uber Fred" and make my wife wear a Giro Aerohead helmet? The Textreme will match the frame. I would need to sand all the matte clear off, re do the "Giro" decals in purple, and finish it off with gloss clear coat. I can have my optometrist buddy re do the shield in a purple iridium color. I can also commission Kevosinn to bond a rear view mirror extension on the helmet. Might as well go all out.

For those of you wondering what a FRED is, here is the definition:

"Fred" is a derisive term used by "serious" road cyclists to describe other cyclists who do not conform to serious road cyclists' norms with regard to dress and equipment, and appear amateurish to them. The term is generally reserved for men, while the rare female Fred is sometimes called a "Doris."

speaking of fred... this bottle of water actually fits nicely in a jersey pocket

2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

godzuki26

by godzuki26

@Nefarious86 - is that a purple cassette???!!!! Is it real? I thought the purple brake housing was the missing final piece for this build but now it is this casssette. I must find this on the internet :thumbup:
@Jenmoss - thanks! I am trying to make this bike not so hard on the eyes.
@spdntrxi - the FRED water would totally finish this build off. Lol. She is already a FRED because she wears Lululemon crap when she rides.
Last edited by godzuki26 on Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

ImageFelt AR FRD

godzuki26

by godzuki26

@Nefarious86 - ok I cannot find that purple cassette on the web. Appears to have beeen a limited edition. I wish I never saw this. Now it will take me another 4 months to find this purple cassette.

ImageFelt AR FRD

FilmAt11

by FilmAt11

Look @ Fairwheel - recon aluminum in blue color

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

godzuki26 wrote:@Nefarious86 - ok I cannot find that purple cassette on the web. Appears to have beeen a limited edition. I wish I never saw this. Now it will take me another 4 months to find this purple cassette.
https://fairwheelbikes.com/recon-alumin ... -cassette/

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

CXrider

by CXrider

-------

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

This is quite the build, though I think purple cable housing will be going too far.

What I am really waiting for is the post from Godzuki describing his attempt to explain to his furious wife who is on the ground (again) about how it is important to be careful in crosswinds.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

godzuki26

by godzuki26

Upon closer examination of the "purple" cassette, it has blue teeth and fades into a purple color which I think looks amazing. What I do not like is the core of the cassette is gold. It is also gold from the inside out. Any sign of gold on this build will throw off my entire black and purple theme. Recon's black cassettes also have a gold inner core which will not work. I think for now I will keep the silver cassette and black chain. If I go with a black cassette (wish I had stocked up on Ceradure cassettes when I had the chance) I would need to use a silver chain.

@Mr.Gib - the purple housing may be too much now that I have used purple SRAM decals and an F decal on the Tririg. However, I searched the internet for months to find this purple housing from an obscure overseas distributor. So, I must use them and I must be the first person ever to post purple aluminum segmented cable housing. Not as cool as Prendrefeu's custom anodized iLink housing in pink as seen on the famous "Stoked" bike. If I need to I will remove the SRAM and F logos and reclear coat them so that the purple housing will look better. I went with more of a plum/lavender purple for the lever and brake decals to try something a little different. If you compare the decals Kevosinn painted for me on the frame, top tube, head tube, saddle, and barstem it is a much darker purple with sparkles in it.

My wife is a tiny 105 lbs. Yes these 85mm wheels will road sail her into hazards if the wind picks up. I know she will hate these wheels. I personally don't like them as well because they are heavy as hell and do not meet weight weenie standards......but they look cool = my wife is a FRED :up: 55 tooth chainring and oversized pulleys. You guys get me yet ?:D

ImageFelt AR FRD