Just another black Evo build: 6.0kg (8/24/17 - Update: ENVE 3.4)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

mcinco

by mcinco

Edit: My first build is complete. Here is an updated list of parts and weight. I have scale pictures of everything if anyone is interested.
Wanna thank this forum and its members for all the inspiration and help!

Frame - Supersix Black Inc with hanger size 54 (719)
Fork with expander (314)
Headset (95)
Seatpost Clamp (17)
Seatpost - Hylix (126) 158-32
Seat - S-Works Toupe 143 (153)
Stem - Kalloy Uno 120mm (116)
Bar - Easton e100 (183)
Bartape - Deda (41) 64-23
Shift Cables - Jagwire Elite (66) 209-143
Brake Cables - Jagwire Elite (62) 212-150
Brakes - EE (172)
Brake Pads - Zipp (30)
Shifters - Red 22 (285)
Front derailleur - Red 22 (75)
Rear derailleur - Red 22 (142)
Cranks - Red (350)
Bottom Bracket - Kogel PF30 (106)
Chainrings - Extralite RC2 (95)
Chainring bolts - Red (10)
Chain - KMC 11SL (218) 256-38
Cassette - Dura ace 12-25 (190)
Skewers - Enve ti (59)
Wheelset - Enve 3.4 (2093) with Vredestein tires
Pedals - DA9000 (248)

Hello all,
Been reading all the great builds here and thought I would post my first build. I'm sure I'll run into issues and questions along the way. I've collected most/all the parts required and will update post as I continue. Will reference the New Bike Assembly site from Park and google to guide with this build.

Here we go!

Bottom bracket was installed by my LBS over the weekend. The Kogel BB seem to get good reviews here.....although the premium for ceramic may not be justified at low RPMs.

Last edited by mcinco on Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:59 pm, edited 9 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Good luck with build. My evo was the first bike i built too. This site is a great resource for trouble shooting.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Looking forward to seeing the final build!

mcinco

by mcinco

Juanmoretime wrote:Nice project. May want to look at a Red cassette if you have not purchased yet. Greater life and lighter too.

Juan,
I did consider the Red cassette. However, I wanted an 18t cog that Sram does not have. The weight saving with Red would haven been great though!

Thanks for the suggestion.
Last edited by mcinco on Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mcinco

by mcinco

Had a few minutes before work this morning to test fit the brakes and cockpit. The Easton bar came in at 5g over advertised in 42cm. The stem is a generic 120mm I got from a bike fitting last year.

mcinco

by mcinco

So far so good with build. The bolt on parts go on pretty quickly. Sram has installation videos on youtube that have been very helpful. Saved 61g going with Extralite rings compared to Red rings. Hopefully the shifting is adequate.....although I've only ever used a small ring at COTA.

On to the pictures....

Video of Kogel PF30 spinning. Not sure if this is any indication of resistance/drag/quality especially with fresh grease.
https://youtu.be/GKUkOGqBE3Q

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

So thats where my chainrings went. You will definitely want to use the chain catcher with Red and RC2s. Or you will hate life.

mcinco

by mcinco

dudemanppl wrote:So thats where my chainrings went. You will definitely want to use the chain catcher with Red and RC2s. Or you will hate life.

Thanks for the tip!

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Sharp bike! Dig your WW build - EE brakes, Extralite rings, KMC X11SL chain, etc.

I see "Jagwire Elite ?" for cables. I really like Aican Bungarus for brake cables (been using them for years now) and had previously used Yokozuna Reaction for shift cables when I had shift cables (ha ha) - both were "set and forget" items. The Yokos are oldies, but goodies AND despite their weight were totally worth it IMHO.

https://fairwheelbikes.com/aican-bungar ... cable-kit/

Thanks for posting the SRAM Red chainring bolts @ 10g/set. Seems the WW options are ~8g/set... not much difference.

mcinco

by mcinco

Thanks for the comments Jonnny.

I have the Jagwire Elite sets but the question mark is a holding place for the weight. I'll update after installation.

I'm glad I measured the chainring bolts also. Perhaps not worth upgrading for 2-3g savings. Right now, looks like my best bang-for-buck is the stem and skewers.

Johnny Rad wrote:Sharp bike! Dig your WW build - EE brakes, Extralite rings, KMC X11SL chain, etc.

I see "Jagwire Elite ?" for cables. I really like Aican Bungarus for brake cables (been using them for years now) and had previously used Yokozuna Reaction for shift cables when I had shift cables (ha ha) - both were "set and forget" items. The Yokos are oldies, but goodies AND despite their weight were totally worth it IMHO.

https://fairwheelbikes.com/aican-bungar ... cable-kit/

Thanks for posting the SRAM Red chainring bolts @ 10g/set. Seems the WW options are ~8g/set... not much difference.

mcinco

by mcinco

Done! See first post for final number.

All that's left are pedals and adjusting the front derailleur. The chain was dropping all over the place during my first rookie adjustment....

mcinco

by mcinco

Build list updated with Enve wheelset!

evan326

by evan326

Very nice! :thumbup:

mcinco

by mcinco

evan326 wrote:Very nice! :thumbup:

Thanks Evan. I may have enjoyed the hunt and build more than riding.

What to build next?....Aero bike!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com