Cannondale Supersix EVO – fast track weight reduction project

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Asteroid

by Asteroid

Many WWers here like using variations of Cannondale frames as the basis for their light builds.
My choice to use a ’15 Supersix EVO (52cm non-hi mod) revolves around my preference for the conventional geometry, along with the relatively light components and overall inexpensive base costs. While the spec’d SRAM Red represents a departure from my Dura Ace habits, it tips the scales more favorably. And this still allows for parts sharing with the Shimano-equipped rides in my stable. Not accustomed to the double-tap feature just yet – how many times will torqueing on the brake levers teach me? - but the system shifts very well. Not impressed with the brakeset, so might swap later for the heavier DA9000 or take the plunge with EE brakes.

Starting with a stock ’15 with less than 200 miles weighing in at 7.36kg including pedals, my aim was to quickly bring it under 6kg by employing various weightweenies techniques. From start to finish, I accomplished this in less than three weeks. After snagging this pristine donor bike from craigslist, it took only a few hours of research to map out an approach. (Definitely not a no-expense-barred strategy here, as it became apparent that another $2k spending on top of the below parts would have resulted in a further 600g savings!)

Wheels: the stock Mavic WTS Pro’s with Mavic’s 25c tires and skewers tallied 2,460g. Always wanted Campagnolo Bora tubulars, so found a new pair from Planet Cyclery for around $1,400. These weigh in at 1,610g with Veloflex Record tires (80g’s each below their Criterium model, but I needed to use these wear-out-fast Records bought four years ago!) and ¬¬¬¬L&S skewers. Some good layers of glue will add another 50g or so. Let’s call the final weight 1,680g. Already 780g savings! It made my wallet much lighter, too.

Crankset, including spindle: the stock Cannondale Hollowgram SiS2 bb30 including spindle and FSA 52/36 rings contributed 680g, while the eBay SRAM Red 50/34 weighs a measly 525g. Nice savings grams-wise, but at a cost of $350.

Saddle: from Fizik Arione 230g to Berk carbon 95g. Lay out another $190. Berk took the most time to deliver, so they delayed completion beyond my father’s day goal.

Post: from stock C1 Cannondale 235g to a Gelu carbon at 130g. ChaChing for $180 to our friends at Fair Wheel.

Stem: swap stock 100mm Cannondale C2 at 130g to the popular Kalloy Uno 120mm at 105g with titanium bolts. Only $60 from Fair Wheel.

Bars: stock C2’s at 290g to a ControlTech carbon 42mm at 180g. Becoming best friends with Fair Wheel after spending the $268. Jason runs a nice outfit there. Fast shipping and good customer service.

Cassette: SRAM sneaks the heavier 280g Force level PG-1170 11-28 on the original Red build, prompting me to buy the Red level XG-1190 in 11-28 with its 170g heft. No brainer, but it cost me $180 at Ribble.

Besides foregoing the 120g Campy Record skewers for the 40g L&S pair included in my wheelset tally above, I found a few other light touches: Wilson tennis racket tape (only $5 on Amazon.) at approx. 60g. or 40g savings from stock brand, plastic cheapo bar end plugs save 60g from plugs on stock bike, same for stem top plug with titanium bolt and aluminum expander saves 80g ($15 eBay), and some $70 Aican brake housing (Fair Wheel again) for a 50g savings. Needed a couple water bottle cages and went with my preferred bendable Blackburn stainless steel at a total of 82g’s on Amazon for $35 shipped. The stem mounted iPhone Quadlock weighs 40g and cost $30 (already own the phone case). Finally made a last-minute switch with the DA 7800 pedals for some new 9000’s in my stash to save 30g (cost me only $130 a couple years ago).

Final tallies of $5,200 and 5.86kg (under 13lbs). I plan to sell the old components on eBay to recoup close to $500. Will keep those sweet Campagnolo skewers in my parts bin, however.

Certainly more reduction opportunities exist. Likely targets include the headset, bottom bracket, and assorted nut$ and bolt$.

Took me awhile to figure out how to add photos.

Still messing with the steerer length and stem positioning.

Took this photo before removing the taillight mount and the valve extenders. These knocked off about 40 grams.

Couple more pics below.
Last edited by Asteroid on Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
Oldbie

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

Parts list doesn't make it sound like it would be that weight... Just a little skeptical.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Asteroid

by Asteroid

dudemanppl wrote:Parts list doesn't make it sound like it would be that weight... Just a little skeptical.

I thought I described it carefully. Does it help if it's a 52cm and reiterate that the Veloflex Record tires are super light? I think these weigh 200g each. Forgot to mention that 70-80mm of the seatpost got sliced off. Did not manage to successfully upload pics last night, one of which displayed the 5.86. Will give it a try later. :?
Oldbie

kidrob

by kidrob

Looking forward for updates! Re stem check out also the new Ritchey WCS C260, I'd prefer it...

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

If you could post a list with all the build parts and the weights that would be super helpful.

Asteroid

by Asteroid

dudemanppl wrote:If you could post a list with all the build parts and the weights that would be super helpful.

I can probably put together a quick listing. Just remember that my build did not start from scratch. I essentially just took Cannondale's stock configuration and tweaked it with a handful of items. Hence, the "fast track" description in my subject line. 8) Used a couple estimates in places where I failed to weigh the stock component.

Ultimately, my expectation is for the weight to climb slightly, in the event the calipers, shifters, and tires get changed out. It may be possible to negate the gain with a lighter chain, derailleur cable housings, and headset/bottom bracket bearings. Would like to keep it at or below 5.9kg. Crazy to see others getting well under 5kg.
Oldbie

Asteroid

by Asteroid

kidrob wrote:Looking forward for updates! Re stem check out also the new Ritchey WCS C260, I'd prefer it...

Rats. This stem looks nicer than the Uno. Didn't know about it going into my build.
Particularly like the use of three bolts that cinch to the steerer. Probably distributes clamping forces more evenly.
Oldbie

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Asteroid wrote:Bars: stock C2’s at 290g to a ControlTech carbon 42mm at 160g. Becoming best friends with Fair Wheel after spending the $268. Jason runs a nice outfit there. Fast shipping and good customer service.

Which Control Tech bar weighs 160gm?

Asteroid

by Asteroid

dereksmalls wrote:
Asteroid wrote:Bars: stock C2’s at 290g to a ControlTech carbon 42mm at 160g. Becoming best friends with Fair Wheel after spending the $268. Jason runs a nice outfit there. Fast shipping and good customer service.

Which Control Tech bar weighs 160gm?

Looks like a typo. On my scale, it came in at 180 grams.
Oldbie

Asteroid

by Asteroid

Updated my original post and corrected some of my typos. Added a bunch of photos.
Will try to generate a side-by-side listing of the before & after. Maybe tomorrow night.

Eventually, my build will change. I purchased DA 9001 shifters at Merlin Cycles for $261, as well as a DA 9000 front derailleur from them for $60. (They ran a 10% off today!). Bought BR-9000 brake calipers on Amazon for about $190 total (two different suppliers). And a rear derailleur from Jenson for about $108. All delivered prices.

Plan to buy Aican housings/cables from Fair Wheel for $70. Bought slightly lighter bottom bracket and headset bearings. All this to try to counteract the weight gains from the Dura Ace. My prediction sets the final weight around 6.1kg. The swaps will occur sometime in August, with work and vacation getting in the way!
Oldbie

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

The Liquigas (?) SRAM Red shifters and RD are perfect for this build!

I'm big on little bikes, but wonder if a 50cm would be a better fit?
Then again your longish 100mm stem for a 52cm frame might mean it's sized just right.
Then again bike fitting over the internet is awfully difficult (impossible?) so forget I even brought this up!

Asteroid

by Asteroid

Johnny Rad wrote:The Liquigas (?) SRAM Red shifters and RD are perfect for this build!

I'm big on little bikes, but wonder if a 50cm would be a better fit?
Then again your longish 100mm stem for a 52cm frame might mean it's sized just right.
Then again bike fitting over the internet is awfully difficult (impossible?) so forget I even brought this up!

My physique is short on legs and long on torso! Hence, the 120 stem and not a lot of seatpost showing.
I tried a 50 and could just tell it wouldn't work, even with a 140 stem. The handling and steering starts to get weird on me with that sort of configuration. Some day, I will get a cu$tom built frame$et! lol
This Cannondale will likely see action on one-third of all my rides. Using Dura Ace for the past twenty plus years makes it difficult for me to freely switch between the two systems.
Oldbie

kkibbler

by kkibbler

I'm very, very surprised it is sub-6 as photographed...

garjo

by garjo

kkibbler wrote:I'm very, very surprised it is sub-6 as photographed...

Me too, naked frameset should be over 1300 grams
My 4,93 kg Supersix Evo HM: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137647&start=30

My 6,22 kg Cannondale R500 1996: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=134364

Asteroid

by Asteroid

kkibbler wrote:I'm very, very surprised it is sub-6 as photographed...

If in stock form for a 52cm these typically weigh without pedals at approx. 7.1kg, then my 7.36 starting point with pedals seems reasonable enough.
If my individual parts swap results in 1.5kg savings, then I'm sure you can do the math.
Did you base your conjecture on the photos or did you bother to read any of my dialogue. :smartass:
By the way, I hooked up a 25 pound weight to my hanging scale and it displayed 11.35kg.
Oldbie

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com