Holdsworth competition

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Geoff

by Geoff

Ok, that's nice. Great colour.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Are you going to change the rings, or the complete crank? The build is gorgeous, BTW.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Delorre

by Delorre

Marin wrote:noooo the old one is much nicer

But the 'old' is 130BCD

PinaRene

by PinaRene

Complete crank will be new and 2017 model - old one is up for sale.

ntb1001

by ntb1001

The newer campy crank is starting to grow on me [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

em3

by em3

Really nice build! Curious if u could share more about the ride quality of the Spirit HSS tubes after u put more Ks on it? I am especially curious about those squared seatstays, which from what I have read r supposed to yield a bit of spring, yet it seems the square tube would b stiffer? Also how much do u weigh...some builders indicate the HSS tubes r for heavier riders (+170lb/77Kg) due to the stiffness, while some reviews indicate the thin wall HSS yields a smooth. Look forward to hearing more....EM3

PinaRene

by PinaRene

New crank - new Campagnolo original cables - Campagnolo sticker. The only things I need are :

Vittoria Corsa Grapheen + Tubular tires 25mm ( Will tan sidewalls match the frame ?! )
Flat topcap so I can remove one 5mm and one 3mm spacer.

PinaRene

by PinaRene

I glued some nice unbranded Vittoria Corsa Grapheen 25mm last week. First when I stretched them, I used Aquasure to keep the tan sidewalls clean and after that was dry, I used my own water method to glue them, and they are perfect.

Clean39T

by Clean39T

Aquasure? Water method? Do tell...

User Name

by User Name

I bought an orange, mostly because it was so cheap. I still can't believe how cheap they are for Spirit

I'd never even heard of Holdsworth until I saw a guy riding one of these, and after he told me how cheap it was, I ordered one from Planet X a few days later. Not including postage, mine was 416 GBP. For some reason -- I assume because I'm in Australia -- I wasn't charged VAT. Is that normal? By the time it landed, it cost me about $820 Aussie. However, it didn't come with a headset or seat collar.

They're on special again.
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRHOCO/ho ... n-frameset

It's heavier than I expected for Spirit -- my size large is 1842g, totally bare -- but it's more of a stiff "smasher", with large-ish tubes (and a big head tube), rather than a comfy cruiser 'Sunday' bike. Also, I was accidentally sent an XL first, so weighed it, and it was 1893g

I can't fault the ride at all. It's very stable, stiff enough for me, but still comfortable. I've had a dodgy knee all year, so I haven't been able to totally thrash the crap out of it off the saddle. Sometimes I think I feel the weight when I'm doing a group smash-fest, but that might be in my head.

My only minor complaints are that the lower bearing was VERY tight to fit, and the post could be more snug; i had to shim it to stop it slipping, but that might be because my very old and often adjusted alu Thompson post is worn

Once again, it's a total bargain. Try to find a Columbus Spirit frame for less than 2 or 3 times the price.
Last edited by User Name on Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rajMAN

by rajMAN

Going by the frame price, thats one hell of a bang for buck. :D

PinaRene

by PinaRene

@ Clean 39T - Aquasure is a product used mostly by cyclocross riders. You can put it on your tan sidewalls of your tubular tires with a thin brush. It will keep them clean and the sidewalls are more puncture resistant ( more for cyclocross riders that is ). The water method is my method to glue tubular tires ->> Als see my video in my signature. !

@Username - My bottom bearing was spot on. just 0.1mm of play - so kept it in the freezer for a few hours before mounting it. Just a bit of mountain bike bearing grease - and it was perfect. ( Cane Creek ) And I paid the same price ( € 750,- ) without headset /seat post collar - complete bike is 7,5 Kg incl. the Campagnolo Bora Tubular wheels. Seatpost ( Deda Superzero ) is tightened with Shimano Carbon paste & a very lightweight seat collar on 3.8Nm for my 70Kg. And it is perfect and bombproof. I did a 245 Km ride last Sunday incl. some cobblestone stretches and the Kemmelberg up- and downhill on cobbles.

zebra

by zebra

User Name wrote:I bought one (orange), mostly because it was so cheap. I still can't believe how cheap they are for Spirit

I'd never even heard of Holdsworth until I saw a guy riding one of these, and after he told me how cheap it was, I ordered one from Planet X a few days later. Not including postage, mine was 416 GBP. For some reason -- I assume because I'm in Australia -- I was charged VAT. Is that normal? By the time it landed, it cost me about $820 Aussie. However, it didn't come with a headset or seat collar.

It's heavier than I expected for Spirit -- my size large is 1842g, totally bare -- but it's more of a stiff "smasher", with large-ish tubes (and a big head tube), rather than a comfy cruiser 'Sunday' bike. Also, I was accidentally sent an XL first, so weighed it, and it was 1893g

I can't fault the ride at all. It's very stable, stiff enough for me, but still comfortable. I've had a dodgy knee all year, so I haven't been able to totally thrash the crap out of it off the saddle. Sometimes I think I feel the weight when I'm doing a group smash-fest, but that might be in my head.

My only minor complaints are that the lower bearing was VERY tight to fit, and the post could be more snug; i had to shim it to stop it slipping, but that might be because my very old and often adjusted alu Thompson post is worn

Once again, it's a total bargain. Try to find a Columbus Spirit frame for less than 2 or 3 times the price.

I'm in total agreement with the above. I ride one as a commuter in the uk and for the money, I can't find anything better for less than 3 times the price. I just wish they made other colours, although for the money, I may even get it painted a nicer colour. I paid £429 in the uk for the framese and its bullet proof, stiff and fast. Pity it's orange but it's growing on me.

KCookie

by KCookie

User Name wrote:I bought one (orange), mostly because it was so cheap. I still can't believe how cheap they are for Spirit

I'd never even heard of Holdsworth until I saw a guy riding one of these, and after he told me how cheap it was, I ordered one from Planet X a few days later. Not including postage, mine was 416 GBP. For some reason -- I assume because I'm in Australia -- I was charged VAT. Is that normal? By the time it landed, it cost me about $820 Aussie. However, it didn't come with a headset or seat collar.

It's heavier than I expected for Spirit -- my size large is 1842g, totally bare -- but it's more of a stiff "smasher", with large-ish tubes (and a big head tube), rather than a comfy cruiser 'Sunday' bike. Also, I was accidentally sent an XL first, so weighed it, and it was

No you shouldn't pay VAT, and if the goods are under $1000 then GST will not be applied either.

User Name

by User Name

^ Thanks. Ah shit, I meant to write that I wasn't charged VAT, which is why the frame was dropped to 416 pounds from the advertised 500, then postage was on top of that. Bugger, sorry

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com