My Off-White Pegoretti Marcelo Ciavete [updated 2/11/18]

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

titaniumdan

by titaniumdan

Hello from Australia.

Long-time lurker, first time poster.

I happened to be in Italy for a month last year, May 2016. I decided to make a stop to Verona to see Dario.

I walked around his workshop, we chatted, and he measured me up for a MxxxxxO.

About a year later, and Dan Hale of Shifter Bikes in Melbourne has finished the build.

Build Kit:

Chorus 11 50/34 - 11-29
Hand Polished DT240 w/ 52T Ratchet Upgrade and Custom Matched Decals laced w/ Sapim CX Ray to H+SON Hard Ano Archetype
Tune Rechts/Linkstrager Cages
Tune AC Internal Cam Skewers
Fizik R1 Bar, Stem, Post, Arione 00 Saddle
Silca Impero Ultimate Paint Matched in Ciavete

While there's always the temptation to throw Super Record and Meilensteins on it, I wanted to keep the build quite conservative.

For me, the frame is the highlight, and the finishing kit and wheels are there to frame the frame.

Prior to this, I had an Allez Sprint Ltd as an in-betweener criterium/road-race bike, and before that, a Lynskey Titanium, CAAD9, carbon climbing / aero bikes, a lightweight Parlee loaner for two weeks, and a few track bikes too. This is my first foray into steel. I've only had two rides on it, so I can't give any in-depth feedback, but first impressions are fantastic.

Without falling into too many nebulous adjectives -

The oversized chain-stays really do give instant power transfer. It's stiffer than my Allez in that respect, but also more compliant, given I was running Roval CLX60s on that bike.

Turn in is neutral, yet responsive. Not twitchy like the Dogma F8 I had for a day (though I know some people prefer that), but not slack like the Lynskey either.

Most of all, it just feels solid and planted. I'm not sure whether that's the effect of materials, geometry or combination of both.

When descending, it just tracks so nicely. It also doesn't transmit the brittle, hollow chattery feeling that some lightweight carbon frames do.

I mentioned to Dario that this MxxxxxO might get road raced. As such, the geometry is long, low and aggressive. No toe overlap on a 49.5 ST bike! Happy boy!

I haven't weighed it yet, but I would estimate it's at about the 7.4kg mark without pedals. I'm considering a set of ultra lightweight climbing tubulars for racing and special weekends.

Will report back with measured weights, and any iterations that follow.

Last edited by titaniumdan on Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Road: Pegoretti MxxxxxO Ciavete
CX: Gellie Custom
Instagram: @titanium_dan

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ALAN Carbon+

by ALAN Carbon+

Saw the photos of your bike the other day on the Shifter Bikes IG feed.

It's absolutely stunning.

I do like the polished DT240 hubs with the matching custom stickers, a small but really nice feature that matches the asthestic.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

RyanH

by RyanH

That is hands down my favorite paint job I've seen from Dario.

Rush

by Rush

ALAN Carbon+ wrote:Saw the photos of your bike the other day on the Shifter Bikes IG feed.

It's absolutely stunning.

I do like the polished DT240 hubs with the matching custom stickers, a small but really nice feature that matches the asthestic.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Same. Nice to to hear a ride report from a bike I've watched getting built on Instagram.

corky

by corky

If I was in the market for a steel bike a Peg would be at the top of the list.

I like the way that The Ciavete paint is either fantastic(as this example is) or horrible.....

My favourite was the lavender based one on the Above Category cycles site.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

This is exceptional

jasonh

by jasonh

Stunning in everyway. Perhaps the traditional "fistfull of seatpost" is my favorite element.

themidge

by themidge

I don't usually like Pegorettis (i think it's something about the odd heatube-extended-above-the-top-tube-thing) but this one is beautiful :thumbup:

Delorre

by Delorre

themidge wrote:I don't usually like Pegorettis (i think it's something about the odd heatube-extended-above-the-top-tube-thing) but this one is beautiful :thumbup:

Agree, this bike may be a true work of art, but the extended headtube, small (and still too big) frame and almost 0 seatpost showing and bar to saddle drop ruines the complete build. I feel so very sorry for you, but a nice, custom, slooping steel frame would have been so much nicer and more important, adapted to your body proportions. Raise the seatpost with 5 or 10 cm, and the whole picture would be completely different. But here :cry:

titaniumdan

by titaniumdan

Delorre wrote:
themidge wrote:I don't usually like Pegorettis (i think it's something about the odd heatube-extended-above-the-top-tube-thing) but this one is beautiful :thumbup:

Agree, this bike may be a true work of art, but the extended headtube, small (and still too big) frame and almost 0 seatpost showing and bar to saddle drop ruines the complete build. I feel so very sorry for you, but a nice, custom, slooping steel frame would have been so much nicer and more important, adapted to your body proportions. Raise the seatpost with 5 or 10 cm, and the whole picture would be completely different. But here :cry:

The head-tube isn't extended, the TT is actually dropped. No need to feel sorry for me 8)

RyanH

by RyanH

On the Silca pump, you'll want to (very carefully) slide the rubber part down to meet the handle otherwise it will rattle like no tomorrow. I found it needs to be pretty snug against the handle to not rattle.

This is like the 8th time I've looked at this build today...damn.

titaniumdan

by titaniumdan

Maiden voyage with some friends --

LorneMalvo

by LorneMalvo

Well that's really a nice bunch of bikes [emoji1360]

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

ronderman

by ronderman

Love the bike, but the hubs . . . . the hubs. Sure do wish DT would just make those hubs polished. Well done.

As for your group ride - is there like a requirement to have a 'too cool' bike. Impressive.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

titaniumdan

by titaniumdan

ronderman wrote:Love the bike, but the hubs . . . . the hubs. Sure do wish DT would just make those hubs polished. Well done.

As for your group ride - is there like a requirement to have a 'too cool' bike. Impressive.

None of them are ultra-light, so not sure they qualify as 'cool' by WW standards :-D