We took a tough decision, locked gallery threads.

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderator: Moderator Team

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Calnago wrote:I agree that a quality build thread is great, but I think the people that produce or want to produce those threads will do so regardless. I don't think it will encourage the people who just want to flash a pic and get out to go to even more effort to produce a build thread. More likely they will just not flash a pic at all, even though they may have a totally pic worthy bike to see.

This is right on the money.

I don't understand, lets look to generate more activity by force migration and a solution looking for a problem? Next we'll all be posting our own power profile threads. Or personal weight losses (being Weight Weenies and all).

by Weenie

dj97223

by dj97223

Another advantage of the gallery threads is that, if you don't like, e.g., Specialized bikes :welcome: , then you can easily skip over just one thread!

I will miss the Colnago thread for sure; that was an almost daily click for me, and I don't even have a Colnago.
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

kytyree

by kytyree

I was subscribed to several of those.

Threads like Calnago's on his C60 are interesting too but I liked the colnago thread, steel bikes, etc

DOUG

by DOUG

Massive own goal guys. I'm only a relative newcomer to this forum but being a Cannondale owner (and a general fan of their bikes) I went right through the "Show us Your 'Dales" thread for inspiration before posting my own. Its what got me interested in this site in the first place and the sentiment appears to be similar with other posters in this thread.

You're of course free to administer the forum however you like just as long as you realise it will likely reduce overall traffic and probably the number of new members. Perhaps that's the aim?

PSM

by PSM

I have always felt a certain transcendence from mod. I was right. This was a stupid decision. I am out of here...

Feel sad.
Last edited by PSM on Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J00P

by J00P

I also regret the descicion of the moderators. :( I did daily checks on updates in the steel bikes, Titanium bikes and Caad & dales threads.
Of course, from those threads links to detailed build threads are a good idea.

tranzformer

by tranzformer

Very bad decision by the moderators. You locked some of the most popular and to me, the most useful and interesting threads. Poor form on your part. Everything was working just fine before you went out of your way to make this place less engaging. You deserve the backlash you are getting as none of the members asked for those popular threads to be locked. We enjoyed them. They didn't harm anyone or anything on this forum. Just another overhanded approach.

If you mods want this forum to be more engaging and more discussion, why don't the 5 of you lead by example and be more engaging and foster discussion?

Florian hasn't posted since 2011.

Powerful Pete hasn't posted in over a month and big gaps in time between he does post. Same with coloclimber.

Kumppa

by Kumppa

Calnago wrote:I agree that a quality build thread is great, but I think the people that produce or want to produce those threads will do so regardless. I don't think it will encourage the people who just want to flash a pic and get out to go to even more effort to produce a build thread. More likely they will just not flash a pic at all, even though they may have a totally pic worthy bike to see.

I was thinking same.

Haven't seen any forum where this kind of censor would work. That only kill forum slowly. If people don't have time or don't want start totally new topic those gallery threads are good one.

liam7020

by liam7020

Yes, have to agree that this is a strange decision. Is there a technical reason for it; will it in some way improve the performance of the site? If not, I really don't see the point of locking some of our most enjoyable threads. Personally, my daily fix was a little peek at the Colnago and Spesh Tarmac thread and must admit to being somewhat disappointed that these have been locked without consultation or apparent reason.
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

zulu695

by zulu695

I must agree with the majority here, this is a strange decision. I do not see how this will increase the quality of the individual bike posts. The number of people interested in doing a detailed build thread is relatively low and will continue to be low because it involves more work and is not always possible. I find the gallery threads very useful when you do not want to spend unnecessary time to go through tons of individuals thread to form yourself an idea on a bike, especially when you are shopping. You may want to look at how a piece look on a certain brand bike, and those thread were very convenient.

I understand the logic behind the decision, but I do not think it is a good one.

outnumbered

by outnumbered

A tough decision implies this was something you had to take action on. But it wasn't, you had no need to do anything, was there any problem, had anyone else complained about these threads ?

So really this is just one or two people's individual opinion against the whole readership and yet another example of high handed action by the moderators. Very poor...

PSM

by PSM

Trump/Putin style.

Calnago

by Calnago

outnumbered wrote:A tough decision implies this was something you had to take action on. But it wasn't, you had no need to do anything, was there any problem, had anyone else complained about these threads ?...

That's what makes this decision so perplexing. These threads probably generate the least controversy and most views of any of the other threads. Very strange. I already miss them. Why not delete the "On the Road Today" pictures thread too.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

PSM

by PSM

Who want's my Weenie jersey?

by Weenie