We took a tough decision, locked gallery threads.

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

dj97223

by dj97223

I went back and read the original post with the reason. I understand the logic -- to push more people to write build threads. But I doubt this move will achieve that goal.

Overall, I think the mods do a great job here, and it is a thankless job (but, thank you!). :thumbup: However, i respectfully disagree with the decision.
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

MiddMan

by MiddMan

I have to agree with kgt, Calnago, 53x12, and others. In my case, all three of these gentlemen have helped me along the way toward deciding on a new frame and build. I benefited from their posts and advice throughout the forum. I just bought a new Cipollini RB800 frame but alas cannot post it in the 'Cipollini Club'. Whilst I do intend to start my own build thread, it will likely be several months until the finished product, and I think it is a shame I can no longer peruse the 'Pictures of Colnagos' thread (or similar threads) for both inspiration and information, be it aesthetic or technical. Although I got a Cipollini, the C60 is still my first love and do hope that I can join that club too--whether or not there is a forum for it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Forums and social media work - in large part - because they help foster a sense of 'belonging'. A community.

That is precisely what those threads did so well - and what this decision undermines.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Would it really be that tough a thing to say "Due to popular demand we're reopening the threads you all have enjoyed so much over the years. Sorry for the inconvenience."
Click the "unlock" button and forget this thread ever happened.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

PSM

by PSM

Calnago wrote:Would it really be that tough a thing to say "Due to popular demand we're reopening the threads you all have enjoyed so much over the years. Sorry for the inconvenience."

+100.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

But it's a few less threads for people to quote the post above them...

mrgray

by mrgray

Calnago wrote:Would it really be that tough a thing to say "Due to popular demand we're reopening the threads you all have enjoyed so much over the years. Sorry for the inconvenience."

me too - i appreciate all the work the mods do but this decision (about a non-issue) is not great.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

DOUG

by DOUG

Good to see plenty of "interaction" here from the Mods. Really leading by example /s

I would love to see the metrics before and after the decision to lock certain threads. The "Introduce yourself" forum looks a bit bare at the moment, I wouldn't be surprised if it actually results in less build threads rather than more.

Ahillock

by Ahillock

Mods, why in the world would you even make a decision like this? Those threads were created by forum members and were favorites of many members. If you don't like them, don't open them up and look at them. They didn't break any forum rules. Rather, they were exceptional and provided lots of great information and resources. By wanting to create all these new build threads, it will just dilute the content (if anyone even wants to start a build thread now) as you have a push towards individual build threads. Than your build thread gets lost amongst all the other ones that are being posted. The bike specific threads were fantastic and perfect for this community. Bring them back.

Ekorre

by Ekorre

I agree that this is a poor decision.
Checking out the colnago and cipollini thread was my main reason for wasting time here. Between work, family and riding this was a perfect pastime when I had 10 mins to spare. I dont have time to write up threads on my bikes or browse through pages of for me less attractive bikes to find the ones Im interested in. Good luck with this....

maverick_1

by maverick_1

Agree that this is a poor decision, similarly checked the Cipo, Colnago threads almost daily.
Individual build threads may not go well for some people, and not everyone has time to create and list up individual weight for each and every components.
Not happy :(

PSM

by PSM

How come mod. does not reply to us?

Marin

by Marin

Not many voices in favor of the locks it seems?

Stoo

by Stoo

I have to echo the above comments here.

I'm not a WW regular, but I often frequent the 'show us your cannondale/giant/time trial bike' threads.

I have a few 'dales/giants/TT bikes and they are great for inspiration but I don't want individual build threads. I don't believe my bikes are worthy of them as they aren't exactly WW.

That aside, I understand this is WW, but there's a larger community here than just weight savers.

I'll take the TT bike thread as the biggest gripe of mine. I ride TT A LOT and that thread was a great source of chat and information around testing in general. A place to ask about certain pieces of equipment, or talk about performances. Additionally, TT isn't all about the bike, it's about position, pacing, equipment choice etc etc and that thread encouraged discussions around how to go faster. People from the USA, Australia and Europe all helping each other out.

Stifling discussion will severely reduce the traffic here. I, for one, don't really have much to come here for now. And I'm not narcissistic enough to begin a thread about my own performances, I'd rather throw them in the mix in a community discussion.
'18 Giant Trinity Pro TT - DA9070 - QuarQ DZero - HED Jet 9+/JET+ Disc3
'18 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 1 - R8000 - QuarQ DZero - SLR1
'16 Genesis Equilibrium - U6800 - FSA SRM - WH6800
'13 Giant Trinity Composite - U6870 - QuarQ DZero

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Brand specific threads I can kind of understand, the TT thread closure made me sad tho.
Using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com