Pan's Pinarello F8 Race Build 7.6kg (How do I get it lighter...?!)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderator: Moderator Team

Madone69
Posts: 60
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:33 pm
Location: Cape Town - South Africa

by Madone69

Pan wrote:
Madone69 wrote:very surprised at your F8 weight ... i also hope to slash some grams on my XR4- full gloss 53 with post & headset


1.8kg ... Goodness. That's a lot of paint. Yeah. Italian Aero bikes are beautiful but heavy. The Countervail technology in the XR4 CV makes the Oltre heavier than the older XR2 model, I believe. My older generation Bianchi Infinito C2C is a bit lighter than the newer Infinito CV.
I'm trying to get used to the low position so I don't want to completely cut the fork tube either... Guess the weight will have to come off from the components.


I was also a bit put off by the weight compared to XR matt black I had, came in at 6.6kg. Strangely on finishing the XR4 build by just transferring all the same components it came in at 6.9kg. So the 300g ,I put down to the paint and CV.....I hope :shock:
That's Super Record EPS,Zipp404 tubular,ITM Pathom bar and stem,Speedplay Ti,cages and SLR saddle. (Not a WW build by any stretch).
If I can get to 6.6kg again -I will be super happy.

Pan
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:18 pm
Location: New England

by Pan

zzmkdw wrote:Your number seems off to me, but i guess the pictures don't lie. :noidea:

If your goal is to just get lighter i would move away from the zipp components. They are heavy. Also the most stem will force you to run the proprietary pinarello spacers, which are heavy. They look cool though.

I'll have to double check the weight. It's bothering me.

I have the Pinarello spacers that came with the frameset. Yeah, it may be a heavier option but they look cool. Haha. Isn't that what bikes are about?
2017 Pinarello F8 Dura Ace 9100 @ 7.5kg
2013 Bianchi Infinito 105 @ 8.2kg
1982 Colnago Super Single Speed @ 8.6kg

beanbiken
Posts: 530
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:13 pm
Location: Great Southern Land

by beanbiken

Pan wrote:
beanbiken wrote:Geez, my F8 with the AX wheels is just over 6kg with cages. My suggestions are tubulars, lightweight stem and bars. Of course a set of EE's, Fibulars and a THM crank is another way...... it's only $'s :shock:

What size is your F8? I thought mine was quite heavy too. Blah....



Size 50 in gloss white...........
Ahhh, coffee & carbon

Pan
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:18 pm
Location: New England

by Pan

beanbiken wrote:
Pan wrote:
beanbiken wrote:Geez, my F8 with the AX wheels is just over 6kg with cages. My suggestions are tubulars, lightweight stem and bars. Of course a set of EE's, Fibulars and a THM crank is another way...... it's only $'s :shock:

What size is your F8? I thought mine was quite heavy too. Blah....

Size 50 in gloss white...........

Lol. to be fair it's a bit smaller. The black on black still has paint on it, but it's a mix of clear matte and gloss black. I'm looking into wheels though, I think my wheelset comes in around 2420g. with tires, and tubes.
2017 Pinarello F8 Dura Ace 9100 @ 7.5kg
2013 Bianchi Infinito 105 @ 8.2kg
1982 Colnago Super Single Speed @ 8.6kg

beanbiken
Posts: 530
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:13 pm
Location: Great Southern Land

by beanbiken

Pan wrote:Lol. to be fair it's a bit smaller. The black on black still has paint on it, but it's a mix of clear matte and gloss black. I'm looking into wheels though, I think my wheelset comes in around 2420g. with tires, and tubes.


I have Dogma 65.1 frame in gloss [size 515] black/red hanging in my shed and I recall when I first got my F8 frame I weighed them both and there was stuff all between the 2,was pretty disappointed :( .......... AX Ultra 25's wheel set with tubs circa 1300gms..........
Ahhh, coffee & carbon

Pan
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:18 pm
Location: New England

by Pan

beanbiken wrote:
Pan wrote:Lol. to be fair it's a bit smaller. The black on black still has paint on it, but it's a mix of clear matte and gloss black. I'm looking into wheels though, I think my wheelset comes in around 2420g. with tires, and tubes.


I have Dogma 65.1 frame in gloss [size 515] black/red hanging in my shed and I recall when I first got my F8 frame I weighed them both and there was stuff all between the 2,was pretty disappointed :( .......... AX Ultra 25's wheel set with tubs circa 1300gms..........


At least we know Team Sky wasn't hiding 800 gram motors in their wheels. They just had heavy framesets.
I weighed the cut piece of carbon fork from my steerer tube and it came out to 22 grams. We'll say I lost 21grams from that 414 gram fork ... Still leaves a hefty 391 gram fork.

A true weight weenie would have purchased a Bianchi Specialissima. I really do I like the lines of the F8/F10 though ...
2017 Pinarello F8 Dura Ace 9100 @ 7.5kg
2013 Bianchi Infinito 105 @ 8.2kg
1982 Colnago Super Single Speed @ 8.6kg

Imaking20
Posts: 1538
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:19 am

by Imaking20

I'd argue that a real weight weenie would buy a Hi-Mod, Addict, or Emonda... but I don't expect any of those bikes to be quite as interesting :)
Current:
T2

Retired:
Blue | Project C6.0 | Felt AR FRD | Colnago C59 NERO | 2014 S-Works Tarmac | S-Works Venge | Wilier Cento Uno SL | Tarmac SL2

beanbiken
Posts: 530
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:13 pm
Location: Great Southern Land

by beanbiken

Yes I ok with some extra weight for the sake of durability. Reading posts about guys resting on their top tube and cracking it.......... to me is scary. I do that often with my Pina's and have never had an issue [thankfully].

PS. I would love a Specialissima
Ahhh, coffee & carbon

Pan
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:18 pm
Location: New England

by Pan

Imaking20 wrote:I'd argue that a real weight weenie would buy a Hi-Mod, Addict, or Emonda... but I don't expect any of those bikes to be quite as interesting :)


beanbiken wrote:Yes I ok with some extra weight for the sake of durability. Reading posts about guys resting on their top tube and cracking it.......... to me is scary. I do that often with my Pina's and have never had an issue [thankfully].

PS. I would love a Specialissima


The Willier Zero 6 is 680grams so they advertise. That's 100g lighter than the Specialissima. That's not a bad piece of Italian character either ... : )
2017 Pinarello F8 Dura Ace 9100 @ 7.5kg
2013 Bianchi Infinito 105 @ 8.2kg
1982 Colnago Super Single Speed @ 8.6kg

beanbiken
Posts: 530
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:13 pm
Location: Great Southern Land

by beanbiken

Pan wrote:
Imaking20 wrote:
The Willier Zero 6 is 680grams so they advertise. That's 100g lighter than the Specialissima. That's not a bad piece of Italian character either ... : )


But are they Italian grams or real grams :? :D
Ahhh, coffee & carbon

Pan
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:18 pm
Location: New England

by Pan

beanbiken wrote:
Pan wrote:
Imaking20 wrote:
The Willier Zero 6 is 680grams so they advertise. That's 100g lighter than the Specialissima. That's not a bad piece of Italian character either ... : )


But are they Italian grams or real grams :? :D

Someone on the WW forums weighed the Willier Zero 7 in a size Large and the scales read 796g (with the rear derailleur hanger). Apparently they take these things off when they weigh the frame for advertisement at 780g. So the Willier Zero 6 is probably 696g or so. I think their claims are more valid than Pinarello, Colnago, and Bianchi.
2017 Pinarello F8 Dura Ace 9100 @ 7.5kg
2013 Bianchi Infinito 105 @ 8.2kg
1982 Colnago Super Single Speed @ 8.6kg

fogman
Posts: 780
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:36 pm

by fogman

My 2016 F8 BoB size 51.5 cm was 6.66 kg built with Super Record and Bora One 50 tubulars. And 6.85 kg with the Bora One 35 clinchers. 3T ARX/Ergonova and fi'zi:k Antares 00 saddle.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

Pan
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:18 pm
Location: New England

by Pan

I think I'm just playing the "waiting for parts to come in the mail" game. ...

Image Image
Old DuraAce9100 chain, has about 30 miles on it here. New KMC SL11 : )!
-19g Honestly, I only did it for the looks.

Both chains are cut to proper length.
Last edited by Pan on Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2017 Pinarello F8 Dura Ace 9100 @ 7.5kg
2013 Bianchi Infinito 105 @ 8.2kg
1982 Colnago Super Single Speed @ 8.6kg

Pan
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:18 pm
Location: New England

by Pan

Waxed the chain today with a 60% parafin wax 40% parafin oil solution. She's running clean and that chain feels slippery! Hopefully the gold chain will stay golder longer without getting dull or picking up contaminants.

Image Image

-44g I'm on new Continental Race Tubes 80mm 20-28/700c.


Image Image
I had a Selle Italia Novus Flow L weight 225g on there but replaced it with the AX Lightness Leaf II Plus 85g .

-140g AX Lightness Leaf II Plus WOW. This saddle is so light it's scary -- it's so thin it feels unnatural but the shape is very familiar. I'll test it out on a hard group ride today.
It's a genuine thing of beauty!
Last edited by Pan on Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2017 Pinarello F8 Dura Ace 9100 @ 7.5kg
2013 Bianchi Infinito 105 @ 8.2kg
1982 Colnago Super Single Speed @ 8.6kg

Pan
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:18 pm
Location: New England

by Pan

Image Image

+82g for two Elite Custom Stealth Bottle Cages
The cages actually work so well compared to my carbon fiber bottle cages on my other bike ... I'll keep them for now because they're functional.

+84g
Vittoria Corsa +G 25mm Tires are on. Not the lightest at 267g... 534g for the pair. They're a bit heavier than Continental GP4000SII's and Michellin Pro4. They're rolling nice though. A pair of GP4000SII's in 25mm weigh 450g.

Image Image
DAMNIT 7.535kg

How am I gonna lose 500g?!
2017 Pinarello F8 Dura Ace 9100 @ 7.5kg
2013 Bianchi Infinito 105 @ 8.2kg
1982 Colnago Super Single Speed @ 8.6kg

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post