Trek Madone 5.5 SL Project - Lance on Campagnolo

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

campagowlo

by campagowlo

Ok - would like some advice. I'm about to pull the trigger on new bars and stem. The intersection of the top tube, down tube and headtube is fairly chunky so I'm leaning towards an MCFK stem. A Thm Fibia would look wierd I think and an AX Lightness a bit skinny. Bars I'm pretty set on Schmolke Evo TLO in stealth black as I like the drop, reach and shape. Any advice and thoughts appreciated.

campagowlo

by campagowlo

I'm also considering Bontrager XXX integrated bars and stem. Due to their long reach I would need a 10cm stem which would be 232 grams in total and cheaper than schmolke/mcfk by £300

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

campagowlo

by campagowlo

Minor update - Deda Nastro bar tape in pink. 41 grams for the full roll, will only use half of it so 20.5 grams. Not as light as Traforato but not shabby and will add a dose of colour.

I'm still undecided on bar/stem. I was put off by the reach of the Bontrager XXX integrated bars meaning I would have to use the 10cm stem option which might look weird.

I'm leaning towards Mcfk stem and THM Ulna bars now.
Attachments
deda nastro pink.jpg

campagowlo

by campagowlo

Minor update - KCNC pink brake cable on the rear.

Planned upgrades over the winter:

1) New bars - schmolke evo tlo or thm ulna. Been thinking about bontrager xxx integrated but I dont think it will look right.

2) Possibly AX Lightness Wheels?
Attachments
Sept 18 Trek update.jpg
Sept 18 Trek Update 2.jpg

Bely

by Bely

For what it’s worth don’t go the integrated route, I tried on the black inc integrated and it didn’t look right. What’s the weight like these days?

Great work mate!! Inspiration!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current
Festka Scala | Pego Respo | English V3 | Colnago EPS Erik Zabel | Colnago V4rs

Incoming

campagowlo

by campagowlo

Thanks Bely!

It weighs 6.05kg at the moment. Need to get it under 6kg! The WR compositi bars are anchors at 253 grams. Schmolke or THM and a MCFK stem is what I will probs end up going with. Thanks for the views on the integrated bars that was my gut instinct and you have confirmed it.

The mixed 10sp/11sp groupset with seqlite cassette is probably as light as I can get, could probs shave off 10 grams off the rd with some mods.

campagowlo

by campagowlo

Update to improve the cosmetics. Campagnolo Record 10 speed ergo which has been gutted and filled to make it a brake lever. Schmolke clamp. Great work done by Rohan Dubash (Doctor D) who did the gutting of the ergo. He also refurbed a right hand record 10 speed ergo and 10 speed record rd (which will go on my Once TT build). I will be 10 speed into the 2030s!
Attachments
Schmolke clamp record lever.jpg

campagowlo

by campagowlo

I'm considering making this my all round bike and swapping the bontrager tubulars to Campagnolo WTO 45 tubeless in dark label finish. Would add around 200g but would make it a more useable every day ride. Thoughts everyone?

themidge

by themidge

campagowlo wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:33 pm
Thoughts everyone?
Get new brake pad holders :P. Unless you already have the low-pro Ciamillo ones or similar, then like me you'll struggle to fit a rim wider than 20mm between the pads using the usual ones.

Bora TLO would look cool, but I'd build myself some aero chinese carbon rims (tubs for weight, but it sounds like you want clinchers) with silver hubs and spokes to look good with the shiny nude carbon and be aero.

If you end up selling those bontragers my cannondale might be interested.

campagowlo

by campagowlo

Update

After months of working too hard I am now on a summer break. I’ve just fitted some FSA Extralight 42cm width, compact bars 176 grams! These are the same bars Roglic uses. I like the shape a lot and the transition to the hoods is good. The only annoying thing is that there is no way the schmolke shifter clamps would fit.

I’ve got some minor fettling with the ilinks to get the brake housing length spot on.

Last updates later this summer with be a rose pink Tune bobo headset, rose pink 10mm Parts of Passion spacer and finally a Kalloy uno stem in stealth black. This build will then be done. I am still thinking over new wheels but these bontrager xxx lites spin up nicely.

With a Tune Wassertrager bottle cage fitted this is under 6kg now at 5986grams

campagowlo

by campagowlo

Will be sorting out the i link housing for the rear brake and will post updated pics at the weekend. I forgot just how much I love this bike!

themidge

by themidge

I rather like this bike too :thumbup: looking forward to seeing the new set-up.

campagowlo

by campagowlo

Took the bike out today to my local short climb. When putting in a big effort the seqlite cassette is slipping. Will need to get it off and put a trusted Campagnolo cassette on. It’s fine climbing at tempo but can’t handle any more than that. Also will put a veloflex criterium on the front. I think the only chance of any racing this year is the hill climb season in sept and October and the seqlite cassette wont be suitable due to this slipping. I’m using my Roubaix every day at the moment with 28 mm tubeless tyres, the difference bet the bikes is big! The Roubaix with a regal saddle and wider tyres is like a very comfy sofa!

Took off the seqlite cassette and gave it a close inspection - quite a few teeth are chipped. Got around 1000km out of it. Stuck on a 13-26 Campagnolo cassette - I’ve got quite a few spare sprockets and decided to put on a 21-23-25-26. I’m fitter and lighter so can dispense with the 29. Also put first coat of tub glue on the Veloflex Criterium. Will update with a picture when the new tub is on.

campagowlo

by campagowlo

Glued on the Veloflex Criterium tub that I had spare, looks a bit mismatched but rolls so smoothly. Incoming Kalloy uno stem to lose 25g and will look better than this selcof stem.
Attachments
525AF139-7F2E-4512-9E4D-D8BDB848FD99.jpeg
06950804-839A-4890-B6D8-C7C42510BA82.jpeg
E1ADF0EE-7C29-432A-A083-6684CAAABE7D.jpeg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

themidge

by themidge

Looks like you ran out of bar tape mate :wink:

Seriously one of my favourite forum bikes though, the mid-2000s live on!