Addict project: sub 5k?

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderator: Moderator Team

Post Reply
thePrince
Posts: 115
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:09 am

by thePrince

My current 2011 Addict R1 is one of the "stolen from factory after it didn't pass QA" out there with the messed up rear triangle (and a pretty porky frame weight for a 56). Rear wheel runs to the left and will rub the stays with anything larger than a 23 tire. For my 30th bday present, I decided to try another Addict build with a proper rear triangle with a short-term goal of sub 5k, on a "budget".

I found another 2011 R1 frame, same paint scheme and all, and took a flyer on it. No issues with the rear triangle, and pretty happy with the weight...880 including the shimano press fit BB. So guessing about 815.

This will be my 3rd Addict, and the builds are getting a little formulaic, so I wanted to mix things up this time, starting with the wheels. I've got a jump on them: Tune 70/170 hubs, LightBicycle rims, Pillar Mega SS spokes, Sapim nipples. Expected weight ~950g

Plenty of things to sort out, most urgent:

1. Strip and clear frame/fork? (the black/grey paint scheme is pretty solid, so more about weight and possibly adding a custom touch)
2. Stem/seatpost
3. Brakes

Image

kulivontot
Posts: 1170
Joined: Sun May 16, 2010 7:28 pm

by kulivontot

Please weigh the frameset, I've had two of these frames that have come in overweight

by Weenie


ukracer
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:41 am

by ukracer

Could you tell me about the rear triangle problem?
Is there a way i can check serials numbers or conatct Scott against a certain batch?

thePrince
Posts: 115
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:09 am

by thePrince

I heard through the grapevine (local Austin TX frame builder/Scott rep) that it was a known issue with some of the R1 models from that year. I have no idea how many, or how they know which ones. Maybe try contacting your local Scott rep?

BmanX
Posts: 3844
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:31 pm

by BmanX

Following
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

Cervelo SLC 5960g/13.13 lbs

Johnny Rad
Posts: 1855
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:22 am
Location: Zion

by Johnny Rad

Is stripping paint the new drillium?

I vote clear coat it along with your custom color touches - maybe thin glossy stripes?

How's the FD hanger? Does it need reinforcing or maybe replacement with a clamp-on FD hanger?

What's the build plan? Mechanical is lighter, right?

thePrince
Posts: 115
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:09 am

by thePrince

FD clamp seems fine.

I have a newish Red 10spd group...FD, RD, shifters, crank. Mechanical is lighter :)

I tend to agree, stripping and clearing seems to be the new thing. I have been inspired by a few on here for sure. When they are done the right way, I think they look great, especially with a custom touch. My concern is that I might not be satisfied with the finish quality.

thePrince
Posts: 115
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:09 am

by thePrince

Tune Mig 70: 75g
Tune Mag 170: 176g
Light Bicycle RR24T02 rims: 543g

Spokes and nipples should be arriving today.

Image

thePrince
Posts: 115
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:09 am

by thePrince

Weigh-in with only the headset cups and bottom cable guide on the frame. 800g even. Assuming 10g for the cups and 10g for the guide, that would put the frame around 780g. Not bad for a 56.

euph
Posts: 153
Joined: Wed May 13, 2015 10:35 pm

by euph

780g is amazing for a 56cm. I assume that paintjob is one of the lighter ones though. It will be interesting to see when you strip it.

Sent from my UMI_SUPER using Tapatalk

thePrince
Posts: 115
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:09 am

by thePrince

Wheels are almost done, a little more time needed in the truing stand.

Hubs: 250
Rims: 540
Spokes: 164
Nipples: 16
---------
Total: 970

Not bad, I paid a total of 935USD for an under 1000g set of wheels.

If I could have got my hands on a 20h rear Mag 170, could have shaved about 17g for a total weight of 953g. Perhaps those 4 spokes will extend the life a bit though.

Image

Image

by Weenie


thePrince
Posts: 115
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:09 am

by thePrince

After staring at a pile of new parts and a frame that isn't crooked, I couldn't wait any longer. Completed phase 1 of the build, and made a few concessions on weight where I'm not exactly sure what I want to do. Filled in with extra parts I had. After 1 ride in crappy weather on my everyday wheels, the frame is a lot smoother than the crooked one, and the new drivetrain sure feels nice :)

Image

5495g was the weigh in for this phase. Attached is the build list. This included using the fork from other Addict which is 40g heavier since I haven't decided what stem I'll be running. Thomson's have a lower stack height than most, so I didn't want to cut the fork, then replace the stem with a larger stack height.

Obvious areas for improvement are the entire cockpit...stem, seat post, handlebars. I'm really particular about stem and seat post matching, so that will be a challenge. (Alternatively, I might be able to save about 40g by cutting 4" off the Masterpiece post). Chain is heavy, but looks nice. Brakes maybe too.

Strip and clear is still in the picture as an option late this summer.

My original goal was to keep the crooked Addict intact and use it to race crits (we have a weekly series here in Austin), but I'm having second thoughts now that I realize how poor the other frame feels.

Image

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post