My Time Skylon

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

mortirolo

by mortirolo

The Xpro 15 is the top-level model, coming in at a claimed weight of 174.6g for the pair (compared with 142g for the Xpresso 15)

The Xpro 12 comes with a titanium axle but this time it isn’t hollow, and weighs 188g.

My xpresso 12: 154g and half price vs. Xpro 12.
Marco Pantani - Momenti Di Gloria
AX Vial (SR11) <- FELT FC (Record 10) <- LOOK KX (Dura-Ace) <- Specialized EPIC (Superbe Pro)

kgt

by kgt

I have not heard great things about xpresso, that's why I am waiting for the xpro... How's your experience with xpresso btw?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mortirolo

by mortirolo

kgt wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:05 pm
I have not heard great things about xpresso, that's why I am waiting for the xpro... How's your experience with xpresso btw?
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=147696&p=1368579#p1368579
Marco Pantani - Momenti Di Gloria
AX Vial (SR11) <- FELT FC (Record 10) <- LOOK KX (Dura-Ace) <- Specialized EPIC (Superbe Pro)

BikeKingV1r

by BikeKingV1r

Beautiful bike KGT!!! The Xpresso pedals are nice, deff had some issues early on when they switched from the iclic name to Xpresso. Super solid for sure and huge comfy platform. My wife has the 12 to and I have a set of the 15’s still going strong. We found them for her since it was so darn easy to get into them vs her Speedplay that she hated lol. Either way I’m sure you can pick up a set of 6’s to try for really cheap before you jump into the 15’s ;)

kgt

by kgt

I had an offer for a pair of NOS xpresso 10 TDF edition I could not resist :)

Wormiez

by Wormiez

With your Time Stem, have you looked at any other Garmin/Wahoo front mounts that connect to the stem directly?

kgt

by kgt

No, I have not checked. Are there any? Not that I care too much to be honest. K-edge is fine IME.

kgt

by kgt

Just tried the xpresso. Wow! Pedal technology has advanced a lot.

kgt

by kgt

It's not only the big platform, the low weight etc. The way iclic works is just awesome. Nice engineering.

KCookie

by KCookie

Have to agree that the xpressos are great pedals, got the 12s and 15s, lightweight and so easy to engage. You won't be disappointed kgt.

pkaro

by pkaro

I'm looking at buying a second-hand 2015 Skylon with Campy Super Record. Any tips on what to look for when test riding the bike? What do you think is a reasonable price for such a bike? And what kind of tire width are you running? Any idea about what the widest tire is you can fit? I would love to run 28 mm tires if possible, though I would settle for 25 mm conti GP's

I would also love some deep section carbon wheels, but am a bit put off because I hear bad things about braking on carbon wheels. Do you suggest a hybrid wheel such as the HED Jets, or is there another viable solution? Some of the passes in my backyard are very steep and I definitely need reliable braking, and a brake track that won't wear too quickly.

kgt

by kgt

I got my Skylon frameset, slightly used, for 1500 euros and I was more than happy.
I am using 23mm front and 25mm rear. There is still space for a bigger rear tire but maybe 28mm is too big. IMO such an aggresive, aero frame as the Skylon is not designed for huge tires, it's a different philosophy.
I am not a fan of deep section wheels but braking on carbon wheels is not a problem. Pros use them all the time. If you don't feel confident then maybe a high quality alu wheelset like Fulcrum zero or similar is a wiser choice. Deep section carbon wheels with alu brake tracks are very heavy usually.

pkaro

by pkaro

Thanks for the response. I'll look at some modern carbon wheels with fancy brake tracks. As I would like to ride on the same wheels all the time, I'm afraid of having bad braking performance, especially in the wet, and also wearing out the wheels by using them too much. I wonder what kind of a lifetime they have in hilly conditions (lots of ups and downs where I live)

steezymark

by steezymark

Hello, I'm a new user to the weight weenies community. The Time Skylon on this post is absolutely gorgeous. My LBS has the same exact Skylon color and frame model like kgt's for sale. Definitely interested in purchasing and building it with either chorus or record 12 speed. However, I was curious how well this Skylon rides during climbs and longer rides. I live in Southern California and I started riding back in 2014 and was consistently riding for two years. I been on and off since then but I'm ready to get back into it again. I definitely enjoy doing more climbs and would like to complete a century ride again. I would assume the Time Alpe d' Huez would be much more suitable but the deal on the skylon is such a good one. I would appreciate any input and advice from anyone regarding the 2015/2016 Skylon (not sure of the model year but it's definitely the same color and frame model as KGT's pics).I'm hoping that I can build this as a climber's bike regardless it being more on the aero side. Also, I'm open to any critiques and/or recommendations you guys may have. It would be great to get to know more of you guys and the community as I continue my cycling journey. Thanks in advance. Cheers!

kgt

by kgt

:welcome:
You can search in the 'Time club' thread, or read general posts about the Skylon, the Alpe d'Huez etc. Your inquiries have been discussed in past threads.

A quick comment: IME AdH is a more suitable frame for the mountains; very stiff and explosive but lighter, considerably more comfortable, more 'springy' etc. But the Skylon is a great climber too as it is super stiff, very responsive, has the same proven geometry and is a great descender.
If the size is correct and the price is good then just go for it. A comfortable saddle and 25mm tires will transform it into a great all rounder.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com