2017 Giant TCR Advanced SL Disc

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderator: Moderator Team

Delorre

by Delorre

jkarbel wrote:I haven't figured out how to post bigger pics. I'd love to share the beautiful pics I took but the site says the max file size is 160 KB.
Depending on the wheel you choose you may have difficulty getting a 28 in this frame. I have 25s on these Specialized wheels and they measure out to 28 mm. There is a good amount of clearance as shown but a 28 would end up over 30 and would be a tight squeeze if it fit at all.
The Defy SL would totally take a 28 on wide rims.

Thx!! What make you think a Defy will clear 28 tyre? The fork seems to be the same as The tcr. Could you do one last favor? With your 25mm conti's on the same wide Rovals I have, how much mm do you have between the top (and the side) of tyre and the fork. Very easy to check with an allen key :wink: Clearance at the back seems more generous as at the front, so don't mind to measure that. Thx again!!

Delorre

by Delorre

jlok wrote:
Didn't count all the grams but still...

Frame: 955g size S, ISP uncut
Fork: 329g uncut
Seat mast: 131g with all spacers
Headset cap: 27g with all spacers and bolt
Expander: 48g (tempted to try the AirCap glue on expander...)
Front/Rear wheel axles: 64/75g

Thanks for reading and have a nice day!

Is the headset included in the frame weight? Every bit of the frameset is there, exept the headset baerings :wink: I ask because I saw a real weight (for a painted production frame incl all alu bits) of 915gr for a (supposedly heavier) Defy SL in size M and 370 for it's uncut fork, not clear if that is incl expander or not... Seat mast was 140, so not far off.

jlok

by jlok

I think the bearings were not counted given the way I weighed the frame. Sorry I forgot and not sure but I think not included.

Heard that the Defy Adv SL Disc frame has been designed lighter than TCR. Maybe I read that from BikeRadar.

Anyway, the current gen of TCR Adv SL Disc is an me-too stop gap solution IMO. Look forward to seeing next gen TCR Adv SL Disc.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

Delorre

by Delorre

jlok wrote:I think the bearings were not counted given the way I weighed the frame. Sorry I forgot and not sure but I think not included.

Heard that the Defy Adv SL Disc frame has been designed lighter than TCR. Maybe I read that from BikeRadar.

Anyway, the current gen of TCR Adv SL Disc is an me-too stop gap solution IMO. Look forward to seeing next gen TCR Adv SL Disc.

OK, thx! I see you use a160mm rotor at the front. I suppose you simply reversed the Shimano adaptor to do so?

jlok

by jlok

@Delorre yea just reverse it.

I do like the newer designs that forgo the adaptor, like BMC and Open UPPER.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

alpinestar

by alpinestar

That is such a nice bike! Reaaaaaly dig the blue/orange! :D

What topcap are you running? Looking for a lighter one then the original Giant OD one.

jlok

by jlok

alpinestar wrote:That is such a nice bike! Reaaaaaly dig the blue/orange! :D

What topcap are you running? Looking for a lighter one then the original Giant OD one.

Thanks~ I'm using the original cap. Light cap for that steerer tube size is difficult to find...

damond

by damond

Cheaper Giant models have a nicer and much lighter cap. I am using one on my TCR adv SL. Fits perfect and very important for me, it has 0 stack!

The same as this one:

addict

by addict

jlok

by jlok

Yeah I think it’s time to put that Aircap on to lose weight.

JS300

by JS300

jlok wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:32 am
alpinestar wrote:That is such a nice bike! Reaaaaaly dig the blue/orange! :D

Thanks~ I'm using the original cap. Light cap for that steerer tube size is difficult to find...
I see you're already using a Ritchey stem, but FWIW, I just swapped my stock Contact SL stem for a carbon Contact SLR. The SLR stem came with a flat top cap that was a good bit lighter than stock.

spartan

by spartan

great build. have you investigated replacing the heavy stock thru axles ?

cheers
Current Rides:

2017 Giant TCR Advanced SL 0 DI2 9150

jlok

by jlok

I wanted to change them but after a crash I realize that the axle lever actually saved the frame, it took the hit tgt with the saddle and sadly the shifters. I think I won't change it.......