4ibanez's Supersix Evo - 4.29kg (build list in 1st post)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Forgot to put up the crankset.

THM Clavicula SE, 172.5
Extralite Octaramp MC (52/36)
THM chainring bolts

godzuki26

by godzuki26

Nice job stripping the frame. It is hard work but is well worth the effort. Try to use some liner inside your brake levers when using the Ti cables. My wife's cables frayed inside and had to be replaced after a couple rides. Also, feeding the cables through the shifters was challenging too as the cables will fray if not gentle.
:arrow: BH Ultralight
:arrow: Litespeed Ghisallo
:arrow: Scott Addict Singlespeed

ImageCannondale Evo HiMod
ImageFelt AR FRD

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

godzuki26 wrote:Nice job stripping the frame. It is hard work but is well worth the effort. Try to use some liner inside your brake levers when using the Ti cables. My wife's cables frayed inside and had to be replaced after a couple rides. Also, feeding the cables through the shifters was challenging too as the cables will fray if not gentle.

Thanks man - that build you put together for your wife is epic and finally pushed me to strip my frame. Unfortunately I've already cabled up the shifters through the bars. I'm not sure I would've been able to get a liner through the shifter tbh but if I have the same problem as you, then I'll definitely try it down the line.

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

I keep remembering stuff I chucked on the bike earlier! I made pretty good progress for a semi experienced amateur...

Red 22 with carbon cage and jockeys from Tuning Pedals.

Tiso Altore tuned by Matthias Hellöre.
Since taking the pic I changed the silver plate that sits between the bolt and hangar for a black one off my Red 22 FD which was much smaller. Surprisingly this saved another 2g, so final weight is actually 46g!!

godzuki26

by godzuki26

Can you tell us more about that front derailleur? Did you send the derailleur to Mattias Hellore to have tuned or did he sell it to you? That is so nice I want one too :mrgreen:
:arrow: BH Ultralight
:arrow: Litespeed Ghisallo
:arrow: Scott Addict Singlespeed

ImageCannondale Evo HiMod
ImageFelt AR FRD

NiFTY

by NiFTY

This build looks amazing. Can't wait for the final result.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

godzuki26 wrote:Can you tell us more about that front derailleur? Did you send the derailleur to Mattias Hellore to have tuned or did he sell it to you? That is so nice I want one too :mrgreen:

I was hunting them down online...you can still find them on some pretty 2nd rate websites (think there was an Italian and a German site that stock it) for about €200 if you search. Anyway I came across one of the tuning threads here and saw Matthais' post about the FD he'd tuned as an experiment. He wasn't that enamored with the Tiso's performance in general, so I wondered if he still had it laying about. I somehow tracked down his email address, we exchanged a few messages and it was with me a few days later.

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Only a few updates today as I'm tired and been out riding. I got some carbon bolts from Schmolke, cut them to length for their various uses.

New bottle cage bolts - 0.5g each to be used with the Fabric cageless system. I love my BTPs, but the weight of these with light bolts can't be argued with - 5g for 2 bottle holders!! The original steel bolts were 3g each and are going nowhere near this bike! For reference I used tapered head bolts as the standard heads were too tall.

AX3000s - about 1g saved per bolt on the pad holders. Again 0.5g each compared to the 1.5g ti bolts that came with the THM pad holders. THM holders are nice looking and very low profile, so might be worth trying for anyone with little clearance - not to mention their great weight! The bolt upgrade takes the weight down to 101g without the pads, 129g with pads. Unfortunately Corima pads were horrendous on my current rims or I could've saved another 20g...

I bought a carbon bolt for my top cap too. It's actually heavier than the nylon one I used before, but the old one looked a bit crap and had a phillips head slot so off it comes. Expander is Extralite Ultrastar 3 and the cap is from Veloflyte.

Btw I ordered some extras if any has an idea where I could use some more carbon M5 bolts.
Last edited by 4ibanez on Mon May 08, 2017 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

NiFTY wrote:This build looks amazing. Can't wait for the final result.

Thanks, coming from you that's really great to hear. Your build is so clean, and the touches of gold are just sick!

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Thought I'd put up a couple of quick pictures of the build progress. Now on hold til next weekend at least as I'm away on holiday. Pretty shitty photos, but I whipped it out of the bat cave in a rush.

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Based on my current parts list I'm estimating I'll hit around 5,030g. If that's the case I might buy some Fibre Lyte chainrings just to get sub 5 (I think that will just get me there). I'd love some lighter carbon clinchers but want something properly light and stiff enough. I haven't seen any sub 5 bikes with wheels as heavy as my 1400g+ clinchers. Lightweights or 77 composites clinchers are the dream, but that's gonna cost around £2,000 or more. I calculated my spend on current parts to be about £5,050 excluding shipping costs. Pretty acceptable for the weight IMO. Will have to put my parts list onto a spreadsheet sometime soon.

Mep

by Mep

4ibanez wrote:Based on my current parts list I'm estimating I'll hit around 5,030g. If that's the case I might buy some Fibre Lyte chainrings just to get sub 5 (I think that will just get me there). I'd love some lighter carbon clinchers but want something properly light and stiff enough. I haven't seen any sub 5 bikes with wheels as heavy as my 1400g+ clinchers. Lightweights or 77 composites clinchers are the dream, but that's gonna cost around £2,000 or more. I calculated my spend on current parts to be about £5,050 excluding shipping costs. Pretty acceptable for the weight IMO. Will have to put my parts list onto a spreadsheet sometime soon.

That's good bang for buck. I've spent about the same for 5.5kg.

How have you found the Extralite chainrings vs Praxis so far?

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

I didn't actually use the Praxis rings. They came with the THM cranks, but I sold them to recoup some of the cost. They're great performance-wise by all accounts, but I didn't really like the aesthetics (the clover rings do look nice). I've used others, such as Red 22, which were pretty much faultless performers. I think the Praxis occupy the sweetspot of weight and performance. By comparison the extralite looks good, and is definitely one of, if not the lightest all aluminum chainring options. I've heard people talk about problems setting them up and shifting. Other than 1 time I can remember, I've never dropped a chain (I was basically dead in the saddle and changed down late, going up an incline probably without easing off the pedalling). Anyway based on usage, I would recommend the Extralite rings if weight matters - there seems only to be a minimal performance trade off.

Mep

by Mep

Great response, thanks. Nothing beats real world experience. I might give the Extralites a go in my next (bike) weight loss project. Let us know how the Fibrelytes go, if you do get them!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KCookie

by KCookie

I have experience of all three. The Praxis are without doubt the best for shifting, absolutely flawless, but they are heavy in comparison to the other rings. I'm riding with Extralite atm and they do shift well, haven't had any problems apart from dropping a chain once. They weigh a lots less and look great to. The Fibrelite were just diabolical for shifting up, one of the shift pins fell out within a few rides, which didn't help. Would have liked to have kept them as they do look awesome and weigh bugger all. Some on here do use them without to many worries, but just not for me.
I would personally go for the Extralite, great in all resects.