4ibanez's Supersix Evo - 4.29kg (build list in 1st post)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

4ibanez wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:08 pm
Not installed them just yet, as I've been waiting for nuts to arrive from Toronto Cycles that were delivered today.
What type of nuts exactly? The TC website layout doesn't help with product search at all.

poynt

by poynt

I asked for as light as they could, but so far as I know it was standard, maybe as I am lite 55kg it may have a lower max than normal, not sure? Yes it is the same post, de-glossed with 1200g and they sent me some replacement gloss decals which they didn't do when I first got my post. The saddle was a bit over weight even though it was made to order and I could loose 10-12g with a gelu.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

@poynt Nice - less than a lot of combos! I'm hoping to get somewhere close to that, but my saddle is a bit heavier. I asked for a reduced clamping area, but as their last attempt was 62g they've either not done that, or changed the layup or something I'd guess.

@Klaster1 they're on the brakes/v-brakes page, which makes sense as they're the nut that secures the caliper to the frame. It's the 13mm alu one.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

4ibanez wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:42 pm
Fiery wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:47 am
It looks like the shrink wrap has a fair bit more shrinking left to do. Maybe you need a proper heat gun?
Good shout, I can probably borrow one. But I think I'd need to start over, as the length I cut already seems a bit too short after shrinking. I may revise my template size for the next attempt. I'd try a smaller tube, but not sure I'd be able to get it in place.

I guess it's just trial and error... I'm also intrigued by some lighter options out there (fabrics like felt).
A proper heatgun would make the difference. See the thread where I wrote about these, you can see how smooth they turn out.
Fabric/felt is lighter, but the mechanisms for mounting & keeping it in place become a nuisance.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

I got my Darimo T1 seatpost today. Really happy with it overall.

They went to every effort with the manufacture to make me happy. I got a reduced clamp area as I have a fair bit of post out of the frame, so I measured up, and they made the clamp area 3.5cm instead of their standard of 7cm (from memory). This meant I don't have about 3.5cm extra reinforcement above the clamp where it's not needed. They even changed the colour of the top clamp limit to black instead of white!

Like with a lot of small companies, you have to be patient - and I'll admit to getting a bit impatient at times. They wanted to keep me happy by making assurances, but at times communication went unanswered for too long and things didn't happen as quick as it should've (e.g. it took 10 days from when I was told the seatpost was coming out of the mould, to being shipped). Anyway, that's full disclosure... But again they really went over and above in terms of the product, customising my post for no extra £. Their English is good, and they were always courteous and friendly. And when I say 'they', I'm pretty sure the company is the one guy, Damià. It was a bice touch that the post comes with a little bit of sandpaper and grip paste - the paste isn't an unusual inclusion, but I was impressed with it's grip, and it came in a tub, so it's much easier to reuse than a sachet.

Anyway why am I writing so much? Well they're predominantly known by MTBers who must be making mad weight savings using their 40cm posts! So I wanted to keep raising awareness about this small company, and give whatever info I have. For those who might doubt the integrity of such a light post, this exceeds all the ISO standards and is for a weight limit of up to 90kg as standard. I mentioned to Damià that we could reduce the weight limit to 80kg or 85kg as I'm 75kg, but he said there'd be little weight saving to be had. Although it probably would've got the post under 60g....

The post left sunny Valencia on Thursday, and arrived here less than 24 hours later - good work TNT!

I'll definitely be interested when their drop bars appear... Anyway, here's the good part:

Very light box, and well packaged
20180323_211331.jpg
As it comes out of the box. Presumably labelled up for IG pics... I like that it comes assembled, rather than have a bag of hardware rattling around.
20180323_211301.jpg
Details (ok the lower limit marker is white, but it's hidden in the frame)
20180323_211236.jpg
Glamour shot (well as glamourous as a seatpost in the kitchen can be)
20180323_211154.jpg
And the all important bit. Yep verified at 60.9g. Nice
20180323_211110.jpg

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

Same as you, I can't wait to see how the drop bar turns out in the end, I already have three items by Darimo and it might as well become the fourth. Still, I'm not sure if the value will be better than the Bontrager combo, given that the bar and a lightweight stem (Hyperstem, Rigid, *cough* Straight Shooter *cough*) are guaranteed to be heavier and more expensive or at least on par.

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

I got these carbon bolts back from my dad. He thinks the thread size is fine, so that throws out my theory. Anyway he put holes through them and cut to length. If I can't use 1 for the sram rd adjuster as per @godzuki26, I may end up using it as a pinch bolt for the rd or just keep it as a spare.

Hopefully the other 2 will be ok to use as AX brake adjusters. Due to snug fit I won't use a locknut, and we decided to leave it longer to give me more adjustment so I don't keep wrecking my ti cables getting installation just right. Despite being longer, they're gonna be lighter than alu at just 1g each.
20180324_111735.jpg
20180324_113203.jpg

C36

by C36

Edit: duplicate
Last edited by C36 on Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

C36

by C36

4ibanez wrote:I got my Darimo T1 seatpost today. Really happy with it overall.
[...]

Like with a lot of small companies, you have to be patient - and I'll admit to getting a bit impatient at times. They wanted to keep me happy by making assurances, but at times communication went unanswered for too long and things didn't happen as quick as it should've (e.g. it took 10 days from when I was told the seatpost was coming out of the mould, to being shipped)
Just completed my order this afternoon, messages got answered within 24 hrs. Did communicate in Spanish and request may have been a bit easier (just custom length and color), may have helped... will see how long delivery will now take but like you, overall very impressed by the post specs.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

I'm thinking about trying to get my saddle to have a matte finish to match the post and frame. I've ordered some 0000 steel wool as I remembered reading that was how Parlee do their matte. If it's good enough for them...
Any thoughts/advice/considerations on this process? Or do you think it's fine as it is? Here's the shiny saddle vs the post in the light conditions my kitchen offers!
20180326_174311.jpg
20180326_174207.jpg

poynt

by poynt

I used 1200g wet & dry on my post so depending on the amount of clear coat that's on the saddle you may need to start rougher and work up to it. I got new black decals from Darimo when I matted it, so if needed you could resand the post to match the saddle when it's done and re badge it. As I may make some new stencils for the frame I may spray all the decals for frmae , bars and post and forks.

garjo

by garjo

Nice seatpost and weight, does it let to hidden bolt heads inside the small cylinder to have a cleaner look (and, if necessary, more thread length)?
My 4,93 kg Supersix Evo HM: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137647&start=30

My 6,22 kg Cannondale R500 1996: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=134364

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

@poynt thanks for the advice. I'll keep reading up and see what I find. I want to keep the clear if possible, just change the look.

@garjo yeh they're really nice. A different bolt might be possible, but it's probably advisable to stay with stock. I wouldn't think you'd need more length in the threaded part (not that the screws are overly long). I think it's pretty much optimised in every way apart from maybe hollow bolts. At max 4nm I reckon this would be doable without problem. But no plans to do so myself at the moment.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

SO what was the length of the seatpost and how much is actually sticking out of the frame?

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Mrs Ibáñez was on the phone to her mum this evening for an hour so I re-cut some fresh hoods from heatshrink tube using the rough template I took from one of Prendy's posts about WW hoods. This time I was equipped with more experience, and crucially, a Black and Decker heatgun I borrowed from a colleague.

It was soooo much easier this time round with the correct tools, and because my shifter bodies were already taped over the nooks and crannies from last time. The pre-cut hoods were 10.5g and 10.6g, and I had 3.9g of off-cuts this time probably owing to the extra shrinkage. So only 17.2g for replacement hoods instead of 48g for stock. A 50cm tube cost me £2.50 and I got enough to make 5 hoods. Result!

I've still got some refinement to do, but now much happier with the appearance. Just need to tidy up some slightly messy cuts where I had to accomodate for the full swing of the shifter paddles.
20180326_220425.jpg
20180326_220407.jpg
20180326_221042.jpg
20180326_221014.jpg
Last edited by 4ibanez on Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com