4ibanez's Supersix Evo - 4.29kg (build list in 1st post)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

campagowlo

by campagowlo

@4ibanez thanks for confirming. I'm going to order some in the next few weeks. I use record 10 speed so should be no dremelling needed. Those Toronto nuts are bound to be lighter than my stock campagnolo ones. What size are they?

I live in East Anglia too and work in Norwich!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

dereksmalls wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:37 pm
Looking at the price of a Darimo seatpost I shudder to think how much that will cost! Is that 60gm including all the hardware or just the post sans hardware? I'm guessing it was a special order since the 25,4m isn't on their wesbsite, is it?
Normal full price... selling the AX softened the blow. Yep that's weight for everything including hardware. Pretty mad if they can do it, and I don't see why not! It's a 27.2° as I'm on a 2015 frame. But they can and have made 25.4° posts which I've seen elsewhere online. Lead time is long though, so if you're in a rush just order from somewhere like Dreambikes assuming they have some in stock.

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

campagowlo wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:19 pm
@4ibanez thanks for confirming. I'm going to order some in the next few weeks. I use record 10 speed so should be no dremelling needed. Those Toronto nuts are bound to be lighter than my stock campagnolo ones. What size are they?

I live in East Anglia too and work in Norwich!
M6 recessed nuts in the brakes section of the site. DM me if you fancy a spin sometime!

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

godzuki26 wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:43 pm
The brakes look cool with the carbon bolts🤩. Sub 10 grams on the clamps. Great job! The very very very last batch of carbon shifter clamps that BTP made actually fit post 2013 Red levers. They were shaped like your Schmolke titanium clamps where the carbon band had a hole for a screw. I have them on my Litespeed. I wish they were still available because it is a lot of work to rework your shifter bodies.....but isn’t it fun?
If you're a glutton for punishment, yeh! Spose it's saved a few more grams as I've really gutted them! Urgh didn't realise BTP had done those. I believe Berk has made a prototype too. But in the absence of those options, this is the way forward for sure!

campagowlo

by campagowlo

That's great I will PM you with some weekend dates over the next 2 months.

I'm trying to work out whether or not I can manage with 10mm less reach on my handlebars. I'm tempted by Elfuinha's mcfk ax berk combo! I don't think I could ever get my build under 5kg. The frame is too heavy! Your build is one of the builds of the forum since 2004.

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Heat shrink hoods - about 9.7g each vs 22.5g for my hole punched stock hoods.

Not too bad for a 1st attempt. A little bit lumpy, and I struggled to finish them well at the front, so I used some electric tape to try and smooth it. The 1st one I did (left shifter) went better than the right - I thought I had the technique down and rushed it a bit 2nd time round.

Still I used less than half of my £2.50 heat shrink, so I'll replace them when they show the 1st signs of wear and try and do better next time. Shout out to Prendy for his replies and advice about the hoods. I've got a template made, so it's pretty simple to try and replicate. I just used a craft-type knife, scissors and a hairdryer!
20180310_172522.jpg
20180310_172741.jpg
20180310_172652.jpg
20180310_175001.jpg
20180310_172615.jpg
Last edited by 4ibanez on Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:32 am, edited 4 times in total.

godzuki26

by godzuki26

Nice! Some weight weenie stuff going on there.
:arrow: BH Ultralight
:arrow: Litespeed Ghisallo
:arrow: Scott Addict Singlespeed

ImageCannondale Evo HiMod
ImageFelt AR FRD

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

The lumpy hoods look meh, to be honest. I should try that too :D

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Klaster1 wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:21 am
The lumpy hoods look meh, to be honest. I should try that too :D
They definitely look better than taped up hoods - another WW alternative that only came to about 4g. It was really thin and the hoods had no contrast from the bars which I didn't like. This is a fair bit thicker and has a similar (less plush) feel to normal silicone/rubber hoods. But yeh I'll definitely do better with some more practice - I just like to share what I'm doing - even if the results aren't perfect.

You should try it too. The left shifter (which I did a half decent job of), I honestly don't think anyone would notice a difference from a rubber hood unless they were really inspecting the bike up close.

Surely a company could make some light, good looking, proper fitting hoods at half the stock weight? Every weight conscious rider (most) would be all over it!

Fiery

by Fiery

It looks like the shrink wrap has a fair bit more shrinking left to do. Maybe you need a proper heat gun?

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Fiery wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:47 am
It looks like the shrink wrap has a fair bit more shrinking left to do. Maybe you need a proper heat gun?
Good shout, I can probably borrow one. But I think I'd need to start over, as the length I cut already seems a bit too short after shrinking. I may revise my template size for the next attempt. I'd try a smaller tube, but not sure I'd be able to get it in place.

I guess it's just trial and error... I'm also intrigued by some lighter options out there (fabrics like felt).

godzuki26

by godzuki26

You should try to duplicate the BTP hoods. It appears to be 3K carbon fiber, no resin, and a bunch of Plastidip. I have been meaning to get to attempt it but have too many unfinished projects at the moment.

ImageFelt AR FRD

themidge

by themidge

This guy makes some hoods very similar to BTP ones with plasti-dip and carbon which saves a ton of weight:
http://www.the-climb.net/2012/04/sram-f ... -pt-5.html
It's a shame he doesn't post any more as there's some serious WW-ing going on in his blog.

poynt

by poynt

4ibanez wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:33 pm
dereksmalls wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:37 pm
Looking at the price of a Darimo seatpost I shudder to think how much that will cost! Is that 60gm including all the hardware or just the post sans hardware? I'm guessing it was a special order since the 25,4m isn't on their wesbsite, is it?
Normal full price... selling the AX softened the blow. Yep that's weight for everything including hardware. Pretty mad if they can do it, and I don't see why not! It's a 27.2° as I'm on a 2015 frame. But they can and have made 25.4° posts which I've seen elsewhere online. Lead time is long though, so if you're in a rush just order from somewhere like Dreambikes assuming they have some in stock.
I am sure they could shave a gram or two off of somewhere, probably the cradle or make the alu rod out of something lighter or the bolts. I had a similar experience with Berk, asking if they could combo the Darimo with my existing saddle and they said not possible!

Image Image

godzuki26

by godzuki26

@Poynt - is the black decal seatpost the same one as the first pic? Is it the same weight? Also, to get to that insane weight did you ask Darimo to make you a custom clamping zone? Or is that 61 gram post stock?

ImageFelt AR FRD

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com