4ibanez's Supersix Evo - 4.29kg (build list in 1st post)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Denavelo

by Denavelo

4ibanez wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:31 pm
Meanwhile the WW machine is out of action and I get a KOM on the 3kg heavier Tarmac on a short hill climb with a sprint at the top that I regularly do :noidea:
hahaha. My best friend has all of his fastest times on his heavier IndyFab All road bike, versus his super light Tarmac SL5.. I attribute fast times to the bike you most feel comforatobale on. Light bikes deflect a bunch, where as something heavier just floats over things which equates to more effort from the rider.

I'm building up my SSEVO, and wondering how you assembled the headset. I see FSA-SL bearings (1-1/8 top and 1-1/4 bottom). Which Race do you use? The standard SSEVO hi-mod headset Race?
Rob English "Mudfoot" 29er | Focus Izalco Max | Firefly #194 Stainless XCR | Firefly #277 | Neilpryde Bura SL 11.9 | Crust Evasion Lite

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Klaster1 wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:19 pm
@4ibanez did you experience any issue fitting your CF shifter clamps to the bar? Were these very tight to pull up the drops?
They were very tight over the drops, yes. I stuck on some gloves and held a towel over the threaded part. With that protection in place I then pushed the bands by the thread upwards while rotating them. I had to use the flat of my palm, as I couldn't get enough force with my fingers. The temptation is to use something like washing up liquid to help, but unless you can clean it off, that's not going to help with keeping things locked down.

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Denavelo wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:43 pm
4ibanez wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:31 pm
Meanwhile the WW machine is out of action and I get a KOM on the 3kg heavier Tarmac on a short hill climb with a sprint at the top that I regularly do :noidea:
hahaha. My best friend has all of his fastest times on his heavier IndyFab All road bike, versus his super light Tarmac SL5.. I attribute fast times to the bike you most feel comforatobale on. Light bikes deflect a bunch, where as something heavier just floats over things which equates to more effort from the rider.

I'm building up my SSEVO, and wondering how you assembled the headset. I see FSA-SL bearings (1-1/8 top and 1-1/4 bottom). Which Race do you use? The standard SSEVO hi-mod headset Race?
I definitely brace less with the Tarmac over crappy road (and there's plenty of that round here) cos there's nothing WW or delicate about it. In fact I quite enjoy bunny hopping it over potholes - saying that, I'd do better jumps with my SS Evo!

For the headset I also use FSA SL for upper and lower headset. The headtube is designed for cartridge bearings that you just pop in, and they sit in "cups" that are part of the headtube - super easy. Just take the old bearings out and throw the new ones in. IIRC there are a few options for the angle of the part of the cartridge that sits in the cup, and I needed 45°, but just check what your bearing says on it to be sure you buy the right one.

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

4ibanez wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:28 pm
What are you building up? Let's see some build pics! :D

Coming Soon.
Speedplay is the devil!

Denavelo

by Denavelo

Thanks for the Headset advice...

My SSEVO came without a Headset, so I'm just trying to figure out which parts I need to buy, outside of just getting the Cannondale replacement.
I'll need a Race for the fork, and the FSA-SL bearing, etc..

Rob English "Mudfoot" 29er | Focus Izalco Max | Firefly #194 Stainless XCR | Firefly #277 | Neilpryde Bura SL 11.9 | Crust Evasion Lite

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

With my 2015 fork I used the stock crown race. I'm sure you can get one somewhere - there's a few places online that sell Cannondale spares. You'll also need a little compression ring that fits between the steerer and the upper headset bearing. One wasn't supplied with the replacement bearing, but I bet someone like FSA sells them, or try ebay.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Whats a good year/model/color evo6 for a weenie build? Some say older is lighter but I just saw a 2016 sanded down to 642gr.

Another new model was 875gr with paint and bb, which sounds impossible to reach 642gr. It did have the glossy/gold paint though.

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

My sanded 2015 Hi Mod (58cm) is about 735g including FD and RD hangers and cable guide.
Obviously thats a XL frame, so a decent weight IMO considering the hangers. The only 58s I've seen verified lighter are the older AX Vial Evo and RCA. Both would've saved effort sanding, but cost far far more. The more aggressive Supersix geometry is better for me too.

That 642g frame is a 50cm, which is tiny - XS? Since the 2016 model (PF30A), the frame weight went up as confirmed by Cannondale, and the fork weight went down.

So a 2014 or 2015 (possibly the same frame) with a 2016> fork should be the lightest combo. I'd imagine all the frames underneath the paint are much the same, but if you're not stripping the paint, then I'd go for a black paint job, as in theory less paint would be needed. My frame had about 100g of paint, both sets of forks had about 20g.

garjo

by garjo

Yeah, pre2016HMframe + 2016>HMfork combo is still the lighter combo, mine in size 52, not striped & full built, is sub5kg, exactly 4,92
My 4,93 kg Supersix Evo HM: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137647&start=30

My 6,22 kg Cannondale R500 1996: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=134364

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

After a couple of great months on the Spesh I had a nightmare on the Dale today. I'd been having trouble with my Garmin, so just went out for a spin up some hills to just record something for half an hour...

Front shifting has gone back to shit again after getting it half acceptable. Rear shifting on the Recon was slow at best. Felt like the saddle was too high, so moved it down 1cm when I got home and bang!!

It was just getting tight, and hadn't reached 4nm. Let's hope Darimo's clamp is coming soon!
20180829_190914.jpg

NiFTY

by NiFTY

I have a smud seatpost clamp after my mcfk broke. 6g. Much nicer - in both appearance and function.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

campagowlo

by campagowlo

My 2 smud clamps are going strong one after 6 years, the other is a year old.

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

4ibanez wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:49 pm
Let's hope Darimo's clamp is coming soon!
I think you can already order it, Damià offered to make me one, but I opted to order both collar and drop bar when the later becomes available (soonish).

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

20180907_190400.jpg
27.7g saved with the Lightning PF30 as per Mdeth/RyanH/Godzuki with the Enduro ceramic upgrade. It gets me into the 4.39kg region with the Sprinters, or 4.29kg with the Records.

Even with a nice and light set of AX 25ts, I'd be 45g over 4kg 🤔

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

4ibanez wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:56 pm
Even with a nice and light set of AX 25ts, I'd be 45g over 4kg 🤔
The parts list in the first post lists KCNC Ti cables, did you choose those over Powercordz? Also, Extrabolt 3.5 is 3.6g and not 4g, like in your sheet.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com