4ibanez's Supersix Evo - 4.29kg (build list in 1st post)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

godzuki26

by godzuki26

Wow! That looks great!!!!! Isn’t Dremeling fun? Next project is rear derailleur? Try to get yours to look like the one that AFC Bike did. The force is with you.
:arrow: BH Ultralight
:arrow: Litespeed Ghisallo
:arrow: Scott Addict Singlespeed

ImageCannondale Evo HiMod
ImageFelt AR FRD

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Thank you! Yes I tried to copy the holes you made in your levers - aesthetically yours are the best looking ones that I've seen. I rounded the edges as best as I could now with a tiny deburrer attachment and then tidied up the tops and bottoms with a round file. Not too shabby IMO and I am quite pedantic...
20180219_213545.jpg
I missed a RD on ebay yesterday for a good price, but excited for another delivery today - new seatpost. Not sure the wife will approve of me spending too much time with the bike tonight though!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

I ordered some carbon shifter clamps bolts from Schmolke to save 4/5g over my tuned ti clamps just because! I ordered some carbon bolts too, which I already use in a few places.

I'm in the middle of dremelling out the Red 22 shifters to fit the Schmolke clamps. Couple of observations: for the Red 22 shifter bodies I'm having to remove shit loads of material to make them fit - bit nerve wracking! Also gotta say I'm umimpressed with the carbon clamps, they're as ghetto as my old BTP clamps. Not what I expect from Schmolke. Still hope for about 9g once I get some alu nuts through.
20180303_175653.jpg
For the carbon bolts the plan is to use M4s for RD limits and b-tension. There's very little to be saved over alu in such small sizes but it's bling! I'm going to try and drill out M6 carbon bolts for adjusters on my brakes and RD, but only when I re-cable the bike because nobody's got time for that! If it works, it should be about the same weight as plastic but less bendy and should stand up to the elements better. I got a couple of M5s - I might be able to use for FD hanger and cable clamp...

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Why don't Schmolkes clamps fit SRAM natively? Shape?
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

mrlobber wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:55 am
Why don't Schmolkes clamps fit SRAM natively? Shape?
The Sram clamp and slot in the shifter body are tear drop shaped, so it tapers in at the top where the bolt goes through. Shimano/Campy are just round. Also the slot for the Sram clamp is 50% too narrow.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

I had to drill out my shifters too 4ibanez. Was concerned but have held up well.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

themidge

by themidge

4ibanez wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:02 pm
For the carbon bolts the plan is...
How do carbon bolts even work? Are they super-accurately moulded? 3D printed? Would seem like maybe one of those situations where alloy might actually be lighter than carbon :noidea: Please enlighten me! (lol enlighten :D )

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

https://www.schmolke-carbon.com/product/1334/ not too sure other than what they say here.

I found M5 for bottle cage bolt to be slightly large (I didn't measure the thread) but was already pretty tight at the point the top of the (countersunk) bolt was snug. Also the allen key slot for those is more like 1/8" rather than M3 - think that's down to poor tolerance.

Other than those rogue countersunk M5s, no issues so far. I did get carried away with an M5 brake pad bolt, and snapped the head off when tightening (that helped me get a feel for it)!

They do seem to stay snug with pretty low torque hand tightening (allen key). I just tend to go til it's tightish then another 1/4 turn. Grease is good at low torques as you know. Carbon is lighter, but in the smallest size (M4) the difference is minimal over a light alu bolt. I think the heads tend to be larger than metal, probably because of the difficulties involved in manufacturing such a product.

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

NiFTY wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:01 am
I had to drill out my shifters too 4ibanez. Was concerned but have held up well.
That's good to hear, normally you just see some bling pics of the end product and you don't hear about the hours of breathing in plastic and wondering whether it's an endeavour too far!

godzuki26

by godzuki26

@4ibanez - thanks for the info on the Schmolke bolts. Can you post a pic of the brake shoe bolts on your bike? Those probably look cool as hell. Any updates on the Darimo seat post?

ImageFelt AR FRD

campagowlo

by campagowlo

@4ibanez I will order some Schmolke shifter clamps in the next few weeks. Did you use Carbon paste for the install?

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

godzuki26 wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:09 pm
@4ibanez - thanks for the info on the Schmolke bolts. Can you post a pic of the brake shoe bolts on your bike? Those probably look cool as hell. Any updates on the Darimo seat post?

Like I said, the heads are kinda big, but not too ugly I don't think. I use THM padholders and just under the bolts some little nylon washers - not needed really but they make me feel a bit more secure! The bolts are about 0.5g from memory. They get the brakes down to 98g before pads.
20180306_193949.jpg
20180306_192116.jpg
Bit of a story about the Darimo post... I challenged them to get under 60g, but they said it came in at 62g (they sent a photo of it), and they were willing to make another for me. That was 14 days ago so hopefully in the coming weeks I'll have a seatpost on this bike (cos I sold my AX already)! Just can't wait for it to arrive as the weather is slowly improving here.
Last edited by 4ibanez on Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

campagowlo wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:45 pm
@4ibanez I will order some Schmolke shifter clamps in the next few weeks. Did you use Carbon paste for the install?
Not installed them just yet, as I've been waiting for nuts to arrive from Toronto Cycles that were delivered today. Unfortunately they only sent the nuts (less than 1/4 of my order), but it was the bits I really needed.

I've emailed them so we'll have to see what happens... Here's them ready to install. I'll use carbon paste on the insides of the clamps and on the bar for sure.
20180306_200049.jpg

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

4ibanez wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:56 pm
Bit of a story about the Darimo post... I challenged them to get under 60g, but they said it came in at 62g (they sent a photo of it), and they were willing to make another for me. That was 14 days ago so hopefully in the coming weeks I'll have a seatpost on this bike (cos I sold my AX already)! Just can't wait for it to arrive as the weather is slowly improving here.
Looking at the price of a Darimo seatpost I shudder to think how much that will cost! Is that 60gm including all the hardware or just the post sans hardware? I'm guessing it was a special order since the 25,4m isn't on their wesbsite, is it?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

godzuki26

by godzuki26

The brakes look cool with the carbon bolts🤩. Sub 10 grams on the clamps. Great job! The very very very last batch of carbon shifter clamps that BTP made actually fit post 2013 Red levers. They were shaped like your Schmolke titanium clamps where the carbon band had a hole for a screw. I have them on my Litespeed. I wish they were still available because it is a lot of work to rework your shifter bodies.....but isn’t it fun?

ImageFelt AR FRD