4ibanez's Supersix Evo - 4.29kg (build list in 1st post)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

dastott

by dastott

Amazing! Where did you get the frame from? That's a very good price.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

dastott wrote:Amazing! Where did you get the frame from? That's a very good price.

Paul's Cycles in Dereham (UK)

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Done the seat tube. It took forever, as I finished off the top and down tube junctions there which I'd left. Bottle cage bosses and rivetted on FD mount were all a massive PITA. I used a stanley knife blade round the FD mount which worked quite well (still needs a tidy up with some 1200 grit).

I had a go with the blade on the chainstays and only wish I'd "razored" from the start. Seems like it would've been much quicker. I did nick and expose some fibre once though, so swings and roundabouts!

DWatkinsBSB

by DWatkinsBSB

This is epic, congrats!

Wouldn't have carbolift been your best friend for this task?

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Sanding almost finished. I'll just do a quick once over with some 1200 grit at the weekend. 100g saved on the frame, 20g on the forks.

As you can see, the frame weight includes bb and fork includes the crown race. Net should be frame: 735g (with hangars) and fork: 294g. Now for a beer! :beerchug:

This is on track for sub 5kg with my current clincher setup. I might need to make 1 more fancy purchase to hit the mark. I'll start detailing the build soon.

Edit: Thanks DWatkinsBSB! Carbolift might have been nice, but it's no longer available; they're unresponsive to emails, and besides I've read some mixed reviews about its effectiveness.

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

Looking forward to seeing this built up! Miss my SuperSix so much

garjo

by garjo

If I were you I would remove that alloy chainstay protector, with this naked look you don't really need it and you could save 8 grams
My 4,93 kg Supersix Evo HM: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137647&start=30

My 6,22 kg Cannondale R500 1996: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=134364

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

garjo wrote:If I were you I would remove that alloy chainstay protector, with this naked look you don't really need it and you could save 8 grams

I had this idea before, but assumed it was bonded on pretty solidly and could damage the chainstay. Have you removed one before? What did you use to get it off? Thinking stanley knife blade could work. Isn't the aluminium plate to prevent actual damage rather than a bit of scratching?

garjo

by garjo

4ibanez wrote:
garjo wrote:If I were you I would remove that alloy chainstay protector, with this naked look you don't really need it and you could save 8 grams

I had this idea before, but assumed it was bonded on pretty solidly and could damage the chainstay. Have you removed one before? What did you use to get it off? Thinking stanley knife blade could work. Isn't the aluminium plate to prevent actual damage rather than a bit of scratching?

I haven't removed mine because my frameset still has got its original glossy paint (that, by the by, is same team color scheme as your previous one), in my opinion removing it with a sharp blade shouldn't be a problem, i think this protection is necessary just to protect the original glossy (or matt) paint which can be scratched easily.
My 4,93 kg Supersix Evo HM: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137647&start=30

My 6,22 kg Cannondale R500 1996: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=134364

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Ok so only 3g saved by ripping off the alu chainstay protector, but I realised a dust cover off my THM BB was still on the crank's spindle. I weighed that and...3g! So it's as you were weight wise :oops:
There might be 1 or 2g of paint and glue now accessible to take off though!

KB

by KB

Great work there. I've stripped a few frames incl Dales. Razors are definitely the way to go in my experience. Have tried Carbolift in the past but wasn't much good and it's very messy. Well done and it saves plenty of weight for a small outlay. I saved over 100g on my old SuperSix with a razor ans sanding.

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Exactly. I probably spent about £12 all in for sand paper, razors and a needle file. Best £/g saving there is! It's been a bit of a labour of love tbh, lots of hours spent and a pretty filthy garage, but well worth it! Pics to follow...

Bullet

by Bullet

Really enjoying following your build, great work!

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Quick final once over, finally finished something I'd been wanting to do for over a year... Cable guides will get some black paint soon.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

AX3000 with THM brake shoes and black prince pads. I pussied out on the aluminium bolt, and used the original ti one for the front brake.
AX Rigid stem, 17° 12cm, AX4200, 42cm (taped to mark shifter position - actual weights 82g and 167g).
AX Europa premium 29cm 93g, AX Phoenix 64g
Cannondale lower, FSA SL upper
KCNC ti cable. Man that "nano teflon" coating comes off easily though!

I used Tune plastic MTB liner for my outters. I neglected to weigh the actual amount, as I was pressing on fast, but about 5g per segment x5 (you split a segment to do the RD and rear brake). So about 25g for the outters. Should be about 55g for the whole cable setup!
Last edited by 4ibanez on Fri May 12, 2017 5:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.