4ibanez's Supersix Evo - 4.29kg (build list in 1st post)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

I've had some clicking around the cranks for a few hundred miles and it's driving me insane. It's worse in the small chainring, which made me think it was chainring bolts. Only clicks under pedalling/load.

I removed the THM chainring bolts, cleaned, greased and put them back in at 6nm. I removed the cranks, cleaned and re-installed as per the instructions. Also did the same with the skewers as I know that's a classic area for clicks and creaks.

Anyone got any bright ideas? Would you crank 8g chainring bolts down any bolts harder?

NiFTY

by NiFTY

I have cranked 8g chainring bolts to 10nm without issue - kcnc sl. I would definately check the cassette lockring i have been convinced i had a chainring/bb creak only to find a loose lockring after muxh frustration.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KCookie

by KCookie

I see that you are using the THM BB, as I was on my Urgestalt albeit different. I just swapped over to AITA ceramic BB and saved 20g. My THM BB weighed 89g, yours is a lot heavier. Have you thought of changing to ceramic, could be a great weight saving for you.
Awesome bike by the way, great read.

Kumppa

by Kumppa

4ibanez wrote:I've had some clicking around the cranks for a few hundred miles and it's driving me insane. It's worse in the small chainring, which made me think it was chainring bolts. Only clicks under pedalling/load.

I removed the THM chainring bolts, cleaned, greased and put them back in at 6nm. I removed the cranks, cleaned and re-installed as per the instructions. Also did the same with the skewers as I know that's a classic area for clicks and creaks.

Anyone got any bright ideas? Would you crank 8g chainring bolts down any bolts harder?

I have same problem and I have been thinking 100% sure its from chainring bolts. Need to start find where its coming becouse can't enjoy riding with that noise...

That cassette tip was good becouse with dtswiss 11sp hub and XG-1080 10sp Red cassette 1,85mm spacer is too wide (cassette was too close at frame and didn't change up to smallest cog) and with 1mm spacer there might be some moment which is making that noise.

by 573

I absolutely love what you've done with this, great work. I think you've inspired me to find a HM frame to strip and swap onto my Supersix.

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Thanks for the suggestions and compliments. I cranked the chainring bolts to just under 10nm and lockring to about 28nm. Clicking has gone :beerchug:

I've actually added weight in the form of my old BTP cages in place of the Fabric cageless ones a couple of months ago. They weigh 16.3g for the 2 including bolts, instead of 5g. The 11g is so so worth it! Also being a big frame, it looks a bit less lanky with the cages to break up the appearance IMO.

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Also just for the hell of it, thought I'd see how much lighter I could make some free Deda plugs than the €30 Schmolke ones I have. Proportionately impressive! I shortened them, cut bigger gaps in the plug and drilled out the middle. They're a bit messy, so not sure I'll use em.

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

God I love this bike!! Just looks so good.

craciunptr

by craciunptr

SOOO Jealous on that weight !! Great Job so far :D off topic: Have you by chance ever visited Mike Burrows ? I know he has his workshop somewhere around Norwich ;)

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Can't remember and not got the time to go through the thread, but did you try colouring the cable outers black? I'm thinking of doing mine before they go on the bike but reckon it might be a real PITA to do with a marker pen

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Craciunptr: I've not met Mike Burrows, but yes he does live nearby - only about a mile away. I occasionally go past him on a ride. In fact, in the car I saw a recumbent out earlier this week, which was most likely him (no I wasn't driving)!
My dad is a keen cyclist too, and has met him a couple of times. Mike still apparently rides about 75 miles almost every day. We also have HQ fibre nearby which is helpful - he's a good guy! My dad made a load of FD hangers for HQ, and is going to make a mould for HQ to do an Ax brake spring too. (My old man kindly snapped one of mine - thankfully I had a spare one). We'll see if a few new ones can be made though.

Derek Smalls: I experimented with a couple of markers and sharpies. The results weren't acceptable for me. They all went a bit bluey and the finish was patchy. Maybe there's a certain technique if you have a good pen. Personally I think spraying black would work, but not sure how much mass you'd add.

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

I'm ill and got nothing to do today, so spent some time in the garage doing something I'd been contemplating for a while: tuning my shifter paddles. I like the aesthetics, and I'm sure it saved a couple of grams.

Tools

End result

I started with a small drill bit to just get a hole through the paddle, just milling out a steady stream a little at a time. Once through, I just went up 1 drill bit at a time until I reached my biggest (size Q if that means anything).

It was then big enough for the big round file, which I used to slightly largen the hole til I could fit the sanding attachments in. They were miracle workers compared to the speed of filing!

Finally I did the finishing touches/re-shaped any uneven edges with the file and then sanded it down. Not sure exactly how much weight I saved on the shifters - I had no desire to take them off to weigh, and then reposition and torque them.

I also wrapped the bars in Tesa 51608 fabric tape. That gave an amazing weight of 10.3g. It's not as nice as the Deda stuff, but still looks ok, seems tough, and is almost 1/3 of the weight. Not bad to get 25m for £4!

New tape, tuned shifters and bar ends

Edit: I also cut off the excess axle on the Tune Skyline skewers, which saved 0.4g. Revised total weight is now 4655.2g excluding savings on the shifters, so maybe even another couple of grams lighter! :beerchug:

Just need some suggestions for light hoods - help me out!
Last edited by 4ibanez on Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

godzuki26

by godzuki26

Great job! I think your bike looks amazing. Brake hoods look great the way they are. I think once you move away from stock rubber hoods you lose quite a bit of comfort. BTP hoods are aweful in terms of comfort so I would not go that route.
:arrow: BH Ultralight
:arrow: Litespeed Ghisallo
:arrow: Scott Addict Singlespeed

ImageCannondale Evo HiMod
ImageFelt AR FRD

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Thanks! I did experiment wrapping one of the shifter bodies with the Tesa tape. It was only 2.6g, so would save 40g doing both that way, but they looked really ghetto and you could feel the nooks and crannys in the shifter. I might do it if it was the last thing to get sub 4kg - but I agree the tradeoff wouldn't be worth it. There's loads of other things I can still do to save 40g.

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

I'm feeling the WW bug at the moment!

I trimmed 2cm from each end of my bars as I don't use the very ends of the drops. I am in the drops a fair bit though, and think too short bars look baaaad. I only saved 4.9g - down to 162.5g.

This also means less Tesa tape by 0.9g - so my tape is only 9.4g total. I ended the tape flush with the end of the bar. I'd already tuned my Deda bar ends from 4.2g down to 2.2g (you can see em in the background on my 1st picture). I decided to file them right down to the point where they're a thin plastic ring. I just kept going til they were 1g! I stuck them to the bars using a dab of tub glue smeared round. Here's the bar ends now - minimalist!

Total saving - 7g :lol: down to 4,648g. I'm kinda at the point where I need to do something totally different to save weight. I'm 50/50 at the moment on whether to get a Darimo T1 post 25cm at 64g in place of my 93g post, or have the talented Berk make a combo using my AX phoenix saddle. Also need a 2016 Hi mod fork.

Anyone know how much a bar stem combo would save (if anything)?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com