Scott RC 900 SL Scale 6,22kg/Spark 7,33kg - "New" Spark page19

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Gullholm

by Gullholm

bikemaniack wrote:Really amazing!!

Thanks a lot!

Also, forgot to post this preview/version of the Scale. Carbon looks so good in sunshine haha.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

scant

by scant

both bikes are killer. really looking forward to the finished pics. congrats

michel2

by michel2

jeezloiuze ! (-: I cant believe I only saw this thread for the first time today, after seeing someone carving paint of two brand new Scott frames I figured this could be interesting and read the whole thing in one sitting ( Saturday night and I'm old lol).
That hardtail is one good looking unit !! congratulations !

mythical

by mythical

Likewise! Growing up with monutainbikes, my inner teenagers is getting all giddy from all this sexy off-road bling! Especially the silver shine with the matte carbon is a welcome change from the black-on-black-on-black-on-black trend. :thumbup: I hope you get to your weight goals because that isn't easy to reach.
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

Gullholm

by Gullholm

Thanks for the kind comments!

michel2: Yeah that really was the point of no return I think haha, as in to go all out with the builds. I clearly remember it too, my good friend and colleague had gotten his Spark SL frame set at the same time so we stayed late after work, he building up his bike and me starting on the Scale frame. Prior to these frames the only work on carbon I'd done was things like a bit of derailleur tuning and sanding some small parts, I had never used a blade. So I flipped the frame over and gave it a go on the chainstay, and while not being difficult work it sure felt strange to do. :lol:
As for reading good threads in one sitting - been there done that. :beerchug: And while it's annoying reading through browser translation, I really recommend reading Kai Greenes thread linked a couple of pages back. So much crazy tuning going on in there!

mythical: The "black-on-black-on.." gave a good laugh. :lol:
But it's very true, and while I've had a couple of bikes like that myself over the years and still think it can be a good look I'm just a bit tired of it. So it was fun doing this! A personal favorite is the wheels, it's super nerdy but I actually enjoy seeing the sun catch the polished spokes while out riding. :lol:
I haven't mentioned it in this thread but my next build is already planned and started, which will be a Scott Genius all mountain build, and I'm gonna go with the same look on those wheels too.

doingitright

by doingitright

Gullholm wrote:
KaiGreene wrote:Hello Guys

The carbon levers are for my custom piccola, which will also weigh around ~ 142g. See it: https://www.mtb-news.de/forum/t/scott-s ... 40/page-36
I also find Gustav should stay with aluminum lever. Continue so Gustav :thumbup: :beerchug:

In case you missed it, you guys better read that thread. So much amazing and unique tuning going on in there! I think I read the whole thing twice using google translation when I first found it haha.. :lol:
I mean, just look at this beauty.

doingitright wrote:Can you share any more specific on the "matchmaker"? I cannot get my twinloc controls to have more overlap with the grips for easier thumb access.

The process actually is quite straight forward, but there are three things needed to make it work.
- As you can see on the picture and on your stock Twinloc, the lever spring goes into a hole in the silver lever and into another hole close to the bar clamp. When you cut the clamp off, you have to move the spring, so a new hole is needed in the lever at a good place straight across from the matchmaker where another new hole will be. Tricky part here is not to drill too deep so you don't go through the lever, and then the spring needs to be cut a little bit.
- Securing it with one bolt, you have to stop the Twinloc from spinning when you push the levers. So you need to trim it down a bit, and also make sure there is a slot with edges in the matchmaker that it will fit into. Then you have to drill it and thread it so you can screw it onto the matchmaker. Another thing to keep in mind, depending on how the matchmaker attaches to the brake - here is where you have a little bit of room to adjust the angle of the whole thing.
- Clearance for the black lever. Depending on the brake, and how you angle the twinlo, there is a risk that when you lock the suspension the lever will hit the brake. This is why I took a little bit of material off from the lever as you can see, so that it doesn't hit the banjo on the brake. But this might not be a problem at all if you have another setup.

Hope this helps a bit at least. :beerchug:

Thank-you. It does.

Another question, if you can share.

What was the process in which you stripped the frame? Chemical and sanding?

Gullholm

by Gullholm

doingitright wrote:Thank-you. It does.

Another question, if you can share.

What was the process in which you stripped the frame? Chemical and sanding?

The frames are scraped with knifes then sanded (240-400-800-1200) to remove the last bit of paint and get a nice finish, then finally waxed.

The Spark is FINALLY finished! I'm basically just waiting for some good weather so I can get nice pictures taken of it, but here's a video at least. I'll update the weight list in the first post as soon as I get some time, and you can expect all the details and lots of pics (of various versions with different tires/wheels etc) over the next few weeks.

https://youtu.be/I6yPr6W4AVg

7331,5g making it the lightest 29" full suspension bike out there. :beerchug: Quite the statement, but if not - please feel free to prove me wrong!

Weight with other (better) tires:
Thunder Burt 2,1" LiteSkin: 7473,3g
Rocket Ron 2,25" LiteSkin: 7701,7g
Rocket Ron 2,25" SnakeSkin: 7841,7g

Version with DT/Dugast etc is to come, which also will be sub8 (think it was 7,79kg or something). Super happy to get it below 8kg with SnakeSkin casing tires too, no xc/marathon rider can really complain that those are too weightweenie or not strong enough for racing/daily use.

godzuki26

by godzuki26

Wow!!! I really enjoyed the video. The red accents make the bike look fast. Looking forward to seeing the Scale too. Do you have names for your bikes yet?
:arrow: BH Ultralight
:arrow: Litespeed Ghisallo
:arrow: Scott Addict Singlespeed

ImageCannondale Evo HiMod
ImageFelt AR FRD

Gullholm

by Gullholm

godzuki26 wrote:Wow!!! I really enjoyed the video. The red accents make the bike look fast. Looking forward to seeing the Scale too. Do you have names for your bikes yet?

Thanks a lot! Yeah and the DT wheels is a perfect match too, which is good since the clinchers will mostly be used on the Scale. No names as of yet, my cars usually get names but not many of my bikes. So I'm open to suggestions. :lol:

alexdi

by alexdi

Absolutely epic thread, epic bikes, epic author. Inspiring, really.

While the carbon work is super impressive, I'm most covetous of the brakes and the hydraulic drivetrain. Beautiful stuff. Oh, and your fitness and bike handling skills. :)

On the wheels: I'm unsure of the release timing, but did you consider LB's "flyweight" rims? 280g for a clincher might actually top the 77 rims.

Gullholm

by Gullholm

alexdi wrote:Absolutely epic thread, epic bikes, epic author. Inspiring, really.

While the carbon work is super impressive, I'm most covetous of the brakes and the hydraulic drivetrain. Beautiful stuff. Oh, and your fitness and bike handling skills. :)

On the wheels: I'm unsure of the release timing, but did you consider LB's "flyweight" rims? 280g for a clincher might actually top the 77 rims.

It seriously has been a lot of fun sharing these builds. Gotten a lot of support along the way, made some good friends and so much interesting and fun discussion. So thanks!

I wish I had one more set of Acros shifting, it really is great and looks so cool. Me and Christoph Hopp has been talking about making a full carbon version of it too, which probably would be close to 200g for the complete system. But we'll see, maybe if I ever go for sub6 HT or sub7 FS haha.

The 77's was the lightest option almost a year ago when I started this. I really thought I'd be ready with the bikes at the end of spring, but obviously that didn't happen. So now you got several lighter and cheaper options that I probably would've gone for instead. Duke Lucky Jack SLS 299 looks great and solid, the LB you mention and also GrigioCarbonio I've seen as light as 275g. So that and going 24h up front could've saved almost 60-70g probably. If I replace the tubulars some day I'll probably either go light&cheap with the LB or stupid light with Grigio, but either way it's a lot of money. :roll:

goncallf

by goncallf

Really insane topic, that i want to follow :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Gullholm:

How wide are your "50mm" Dugasts? Are they actually 50mm at riding pressure?

Trying to figure out if they run true to size or not.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Truly great thread. Well done.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Gullholm

by Gullholm

Thanks for the comments!

LeDuke: I'll check later, but I remember my old 52mm Dugasts really were 52mm.

So here's the full speclist for the Spark and the different versions of it. Sorry if it's a bit hard to read, the font on this forum when posting is messing with it a bit so might do an image version of it later on.
Shot proper pictures of it yesterday, so those will come soon.

SPARK Super Light Version:
Frame: Scott Spark 900 SL w/ Hopp Carbon parts- 1641,3g
Rear axle: Extralite BlackLock --------------------------- 29,7g
Fork: Fox 32 SC Factory ---------------------------------- 1326,4
Remote: Custom Scott Twinloc -------------------------- 42,0g
Headset: Extralite Ultratop/Scott bottom -------------- 54,9g
Topcap: Custom made carbon/cork--------------------- 1,2g
Handlebar combo: MCFK stem bonded to a
Schmolke TLO 720mm by Mattias Hellöre ----------- 174,0g
Grips: Extralite Hypergrips -------------------------------- 11,8g
Brakes: Trickstuff Piccola --------------------------------- 337,5g
Caliper bolts: Extralite Extrabolt ------------------------- 9,5g
Brake discs: Ashima Ai2 ----------------------------------- 130,7g
Screws for discs: Extralite Extrabolt -------------------- 10,4
Wheels: Extralite HyperBoost hubs, hand polished
Sapim CX Super, 77Composites rims ------------------ 1086,8g
Tires: Schwalbe Furious Fred LiteSkin ----------------- 710,6g
Sealant: --------------------------------------------------------- 83,5g
Rimtape: Orange Seal --------------------------------------- 6,7g
Vavles: Tune --------------------------------------------------- 7,0g
Derailleur: XX1 with Hopp Carbon Parts/Extralite --- 197,0g
Shifter: XX1 slightly tuned --------------------------------- 95,9g
Cables: PowerCordz (shifting and remote) ------------ 72,2g
Cassette: XX1 ------------------------------------------------- 263,3g
Chain: PYC SL ------------------------------------------------ 218,0g
Chainring: Garbaruk 36T ----------------------------------- 75,3g
Crankset: Tune BlackFoot ---------------------------------- 332,0g
Bottombracket: RaceFace (no sleeve) ------------------ 56,0g
Pedals: Crankbrothers Eggbeater 11 Ti ----------------- 179,2g
Seatpost clamp: Tune Würger Skyline ------------------- 5,4g
Seat: Berk Composites --------------------------------------- 60,7g
Seatpost: Schmolke TLO 31,6x400mm ------------------ 112,5g

TOTAL: 7331,5g
Total with the following tires:
Thunder Burt 2,1" LiteSkin (848,3g + 87,4g sealant): 7473,3g
Rocket Ron 2,25" LiteSkin (1063,3g +100,8g sealant): 7701,7g
Rocket Ron 2,25" SnakeSkin (1203,3g + not tested, calculated on 100,8g sealant): 7841,7g

SPARK "Heavy" Version:
Frame: Scott Spark 900 SL w/ Hopp Carbon parts- 1641,3g
Rear axle: Extralite BlackLock --------------------------- 29,7g
Fork: Fox 32 SC Factory ---------------------------------- 1326,4
Remote: Custom Scott Twinloc -------------------------- 42,0g
Headset: Extralite Ultratop/Scott bottom -------------- 54,9g
Topcap: Custom made carbon/cork--------------------- 1,2g
Handlebar combo: MCFK stem bonded to a
Schmolke TLO 720mm by Mattias Hellöre ----------- 174,0g
Grips: Extralite Hypergrips -------------------------------- 11,8g
Brakes: Trickstuff Piccola --------------------------------- 337,5g
Caliper bolts: XTR ------------------------------------------ 10,5g