Scott RC 900 SL Scale 6,22kg/Spark 7,33kg - "New" Spark page19

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

HOPPcarbonparts

by HOPPcarbonparts

KaiGreene wrote:I would be for the carbon derailleur. Light is just lighter ... :)

:up:

Gullholm

by Gullholm

KaiGreene wrote:Currently I am driving the Rocket Ron 2.1 with 432 / 445g. So it weighs now just 7145g. For the first 2 tours I had equal 2 tire punctures with the Thunder Burt's. That was too much for me and have switched to the Ron's.

Ultimately, my Scale is a competition MTB and it must work just there .

The next step will be to finish the XTR 9000 rear derailleur made of carbon and my another buddy will make me a carbon stem in Flatforce geometry.

Beautiful bike, and the weight is great.
Several of my friends run Thunder Burt's as rear tires, I've never tried them but thought I'd give them a go and try them once at least. This bike need to be race ready too so depending on situation I might switch tires. Or use the wheelset for the Spark that will have Dugast FastBird Ori's.

But those Rocket Rons are super light too! Like I said, I really need to find a source that can weigh tires for me and find the lightest ones.

Curious about the stem, will it look like a Flatforce too? Same shape etc?

marecej wrote:what is a shift up carbon axle?

Just like wingguy said it's made by a company named Shift-Up. Claimed weight for the carbon Fox Boost version is 24g. Thought I'd try one, but the other axles will be Extralite since I know from experience they work well and are reliable.

HOPPcarbonparts wrote: :up:

Hard to resist... :lol:

In other news, I finally got some time to start with the forks today. Put the crown remote parts on the black one and took the orange one apart. Hopefully I'll get started on the stripping tomorrow. So far - the decals was 4,9g. :lol:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

This is becoming one of the most exciting topics on here!!! Every time I see an update I can't wait to read it.

Gullholm

by Gullholm

burglarboycie wrote:This is becoming one of the most exciting topics on here!!! Every time I see an update I can't wait to read it.

Thanks man, really appreciate it!

Finally had a day off so finished building both set of wheels including a service of the old Extralite hub in the tubular rear wheel, looked perfect.

Will get pics up of the wheels but in the meantime here's some paint stripping action, curious to see how much weight it'll drop!

wingguy

by wingguy

Are you going to use any sort of coating on the lowers or just keep polishing / WD40ing to keep the corrosion away?

KaiGreene

by KaiGreene

Meanwhile I had with the Ron's already 2 defective.
The carbon stem will have a different look.

Gullholm

by Gullholm

wingguy wrote:Are you going to use any sort of coating on the lowers or just keep polishing / WD40ing to keep the corrosion away?

Will just keep polishing. Honestly I'm not sure what kind of coating would be possible, except clear coat of course but I'm afraid it'd chip way too easily. And since this is ww, it weighs too much. :wink:

Good progress today though, should've let it sit for another couple of hours but will give it another round tomorrow to get the last spots off a bit easier.

jdc5r

by jdc5r

Gullholm wrote:Image

Impressive dedication! :thumbup:

deek

by deek

I'm no materials expert, but isn't the fork lower magnesium? Usually you want some sort of coating on magnesium if it's going to see the elements.

Gullholm

by Gullholm

jdc5r wrote:Impressive dedication! :thumbup:

Thanks! I'd say it's a hobby bordering on passion/obsession. :roll: :lol:

deek wrote:I'm no materials expert, but isn't the fork lower magnesium? Usually you want some sort of coating on magnesium if it's going to see the elements.

It is indeed a magnesium alloy in the lowers. It does stay structurally sound without any coating, for example there is a patch without paint from factory on the inside of the left dropout (to make sure there's clearance for the rotor bolts I think). However it does oxidize a lot faster than a regular aluminium alloy and gets a rough almost grey/yellowish surface over time,
It can be polished but that means you have to keep doing it quite often if you care about the looks. :beerchug:

Anyway, as promised, here are the wheels!
So happy with how the clinchers turned out, a lot of hours put into sanding the spokes and rims. Can't wait to see how they look on the bike later on.

For the Scale: 77 Composites clincher rims 28h, Sapim CX Super and Extralite HyperBoost hubs.
1086,8g (front: 497,3g rear: 589,5g)

For the Spark: DT Swiss XRC950T rims 32h (will be my 4th season on these rims), Sapim CX Super and Extralite HyperBoost hubs:
1169,3g (front: 542,5g rear: 626,8g)

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

The wheels for the Scale look superb! Well worth the time and effort you've put into them I'd say.

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

Very inspiring thread! Are you going to strip the paint on the Spark as well? I'm so curious to see how low you could go on that frame. Huge props for the 2017 Spark, it is indeed lighter than the 26er models from 2011 and below. I have a 2011 26er Spark 10, size large, stripped paint, with DT Swiss SSD carbon shock (146g + bushing (13.9g)= 159.9g)... and the weight is well.... :oops: 1754.9g with all Hardware. Your 29er Spark, minus paint (about -80g), shock swap (about -60g) would get down to 1612g!...on a Medium...but I think on a Large it would still be lighter then mine. It makes me angry! lol

Here is a direct contender for your Scale build....for reference:
https://fotos.mtb-news.de/p/2099350

Gullholm

by Gullholm

burglarboycie wrote:The wheels for the Scale look superb! Well worth the time and effort you've put into them I'd say.

Thanks for the kind words!
They will match well with these custom anodized beauties I think!

andreszucs wrote:Very inspiring thread! Are you going to strip the paint on the Spark as well? I'm so curious to see how low you could go on that frame. Huge props for the 2017 Spark, it is indeed lighter than the 26er models from 2011 and below. I have a 2011 26er Spark 10, size large, stripped paint, with DT Swiss SSD carbon shock (146g + bushing (13.9g)= 159.9g)... and the weight is well.... :oops: 1754.9g with all Hardware. Your 29er Spark, minus paint (about -80g), shock swap (about -60g) would get down to 1612g!...on a Medium...but I think on a Large it would still be lighter then mine. It makes me angry! lol

Here is a direct contender for your Scale build....for reference:
https://fotos.mtb-news.de/p/2099350

Yes that's the plan! Will hopefully start that work next week, so I will of course keep you updated on the progress.
1754,9g is still quite crazy for a 2011, well done! Being angry isn't any good though... Hopefully one day you can upgrade you're current Spark to a new one, I'm sure that would make you happy again :lol: :beerchug:

damond

by damond

The attention to the detail is impressive! You just have to imagine the lightest part that is available for a certain component and BANG, here it it! The bonus is that it even comes with some fine tunning!

This is WW,i am certain that this will turn out to become the worldwide reference of a New Era of WW's history as it was Heinz Wittman's or Nino Fenaroli's bikes in the past!

Sir, please keep delightning us!

Gullholm

by Gullholm

damond wrote:The attention to the detail is impressive! You just have to imagine the lightest part that is available for a certain component and BANG, here it it! The bonus is that it even comes with some fine tunning!

This is WW,i am certain that this will turn out to become the worldwide reference of a New Era of WW's history as it was Heinz Wittman's or Nino Fenaroli's bikes in the past!

Sir, please keep delightning us!

Thank you so much for your kind words!
Yes I do indeed hope to set a new benchmark/standard with these two bikes. And not only build them super light, but also make them look very clean. WW bikes can look kind of special since some parts often puts function/weight before form/looks, but I almost want these bikes to look "normal" at first glance. We'll see how it all works out in the end!
I will keep it a bit of a secret yet, since there are problems to overcome and solve, but for the Scale I might be able to do something that would probably be a world's first for mountainbikes when it comes to the cable routing. Will be super clean if I can make it reality.

Here's a short video to give a better view of the clincher wheels. Quality wasn't as good as I hoped but oh well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vbyjHiJZKg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com