KWalker's Stinner Hyperspace "Forever Bike"

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderator: Moderator Team

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

KWalker wrote:I might add that once the stem length is finalized I will send this set to Predator to get them made into a bar/stem with holes for internal di2/hydro line routing to clean things up on the front a bit.

Oh my! You definitely subscribe to the concept that "details matter."

From one semi-OCD member to another, "chapeau!"

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

KWalker wrote:27.2x300 UD:

I've got the same post and it weighs in at 126g. Nice to see Martin @ MCFK keeping the tolerances tight.

KWalker wrote:175, 50x34 bearing shields and spacers are on the crank:

Now you're just rubbing it in. Come on, man. My Red22 GXP w/Kogel BB comes in at ~660g. My new ride has the wide BB86 PF and I found very few WW choices aside from THM.

KWalker

by KWalker

The cat's out of the bag. No studio photos yet, but these are the best ones so far. It's very hard to capture the metal flake background and the incredible amount of hand-masked lines.

Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

Gullholm

by Gullholm

Amazing, that paintjob looks even better than I imagined it. Looking forward to see it built up with your parts and better pics!

euan

by euan

Looks sweet for sure, love a Stinner. But these two statements made me chuckle.

KWalker wrote:To my surprise many of the builders were fairly unfriendly, unwilling to accept input, and really offputting.

KWalker wrote:I can say that after 150 emails and multiple phone calls on everything from the bottom bracket to the offset of the seatpost they have been extremely tolerant of and responsive to my analytic neurosis.

They aren't unconnected.
"Step forward the climber and all those who worship at the altar of lightness" - R. Millar

KWalker

by KWalker

Well, if you wanna be a smart ass about it ask yourself this logic- if the first emails didn't get past a few questions, then how could there be so many that it was my fault. One builder asked if I was shopping around, I answered "Yes" honestly, then they shot back raising their initial price quote and never responded again...

Copy/pasted a few questions they were annoyed to answer:

Why did you set the head tube angle and top tube angle as you did?

How onerous is it to run the rear brake line internally?

Are you going to switch dropout/fork standards in the near future soon enough to where we should wait on the build?
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

Sam

by Sam

Looking forward to see the entire bike, studio pictures or not. Truely a wonderful "Forever bike"... well until some new standard make it obsolete, that is.

You must be really proud!

boots2000

by boots2000

Is that the new Enve fork?
I hate to say it but I like their build better than yours other than the wheels- Need something cooler than Mavic wheels for sure.
Though I do get that they are showing off Mavic product.

KWalker

by KWalker

It's the new Speed Release fork. What about it is better? 90% of the bikes at that show or custom in general are the same generic Enve cockpit, sometimes paint matched. The MCFK stem is a bit unorthodox and weird, but might work on this bike. If not it is pretty easy to swap out for something else, but I did not want something generic. I also don't use a lot of setback, which limits choices as well. Prob go Deda if it ends up not looking too good.

Plus, I run my shit slammed- GTFO with those spacers and compact bars.

A brooks saddle on this build is almost tragic. And the spindle interface of the 9000 cranks, IMO, looks too fat for the tubes. The Hollowgram profile should fit in a bit nicer with the dimensions. I'd even argue that the wheels are almost too deep aesthetically.

My daily drivers will be Carbon-ti hubs to the new Enve 3.4s built by Ergott and should be close to 1300. Probably Formula 2 piece rotors on there as the total weight of both rotors is 150 vs ~105 for a single Shimano rotor plus the hubs are 6 bolt. Will run those with 25s. Have some Pacenti SL25 lying around I'll build to a cheaper hub and leave 30s on since the fork will clear 30s on a wide rim. Ice Tech Rotors on those.

And then I will ride the f*** out of the bike for the foreseeable future.
Last edited by KWalker on Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

euan

by euan

I wasn't being a smart ass btw. But any frame builder you've approached is likely because of their experience and reputation. Part of that experience in building bikes are the customers who take as much time (and I'm sure every builder has experienced those who take much more than that) answering questions as building the bike itself. All that time could be spent building bikes instead.

They get quite good at recognising it. They will ask themselves if it is worth it to charge pretty much the same price as a customer who just wants what they do. And you'll see it in the responses you got, especially with the guy who upped his price.

I know of one single man builder in the UK who adds on an hourly rate for those customers.

Anyways you got a nice bike out of the process so it all played out good. Would be interested to see the final weight.
"Step forward the climber and all those who worship at the altar of lightness" - R. Millar

KWalker

by KWalker

Yah I don't think most of the questions were that demanding. Like I said in the intro the custom geo was a big factor and the main reason I went custom. We went back and forth about this a bit, but it really helped that I had a sample geo to tweak. All the other details are usually covered on the builder's website. In reality this is a big reason why a lot of people go custom and some of these builders can take the 60-120s it takes to write a few lines in an email about why the angles are the way they are and what a customer can expect.

Most of the time it was clear they were just putting stack and reach into Bike Cad and printing out random shit. I would then ask something like "Won't that HTA slacken it out a lot though?", which I didn't want. I wanted a bike that rides like a race bike and quite a few builders handed me back shitty gravel bike geo that could clear slightly larger tires. They simply weren't paying attention. These are ridiculous expensive bespoke parts and there should be some modicum of service involved.

A lot of builders were unclear about how they would run the rear brake line. I wanted something clean, but that wouldn't be a PITA. This and the TA standard was really important.

This build was a bit unique because there was a different pricing structure involved for NAHBS. It wasn't clear what wheels Enve/Mavic would spec and then the 3.4 was announced so I had no clue if I was using the show wheels, buying my own, etc. We were not sure about paint matching the cockpit until 2 weeks before the show and then there was the back and forth for the paint. So a lot of emails were me asking about what was available and cost. A lot of times we had no clue what Shimano would even have.

The paint is a ton more complicated than it looks. Each line was created as a vector and then a custom mask was printed. They got the mask about 1.5w before the show, prob the day before it was painted.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

rekhyt

by rekhyt

Was disappointed when i first saw the bike until i remembered you'll change the built completely. Looking at your buildlist, this will turn out fantastic.

boots2000

by boots2000

Agreed- the Brooks saddle is like a super model with a wooden leg ;)
I like the sound of those wheels- But I am such a fan of DT hubs (for durability)- that I would stick with a stock set of the new 3.4 wheels.

KWalker wrote:It's the new Speed Release fork. What about it is better? 90% of the bikes at that show or custom in general are the same generic Enve cockpit, sometimes paint matched. The MCFK stem is a bit unorthodox and weird, but might work on this bike. If not it is pretty easy to swap out for something else, but I did not want something generic. I also don't use a lot of setback, which limits choices as well. Prob go Deda if it ends up not looking too good.

Plus, I run my shit slammed- GTFO with those spacers and compact bars.

A brooks saddle on this build is almost tragic. And the spindle interface of the 9000 cranks, IMO, looks too fat for the tubes. The Hollowgram profile should fit in a bit nicer with the dimensions. I'd even argue that the wheels are almost too deep aesthetically.

My daily drivers will be Carbon-ti hubs to the new Enve 3.4s built by Ergott and should be close to 1300. Probably Formula 2 piece rotors on there as the total weight of both rotors is 150 vs ~105 for a single Shimano rotor plus the hubs are 6 bolt. Will run those with 25s. Have some Pacenti SL25 lying around I'll build to a cheaper hub and leave 30s on since the fork will clear 30s on a wide rim. Ice Tech Rotors on those.

And then I will ride the f*** out of the bike for the foreseeable future.

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Johnny Rad wrote:I'll be at the bike show this weekend. Eyes wide open!

I saw it! First thought, I was surprised the paint wasn't louder. Second thought, damn that's a big bike! (says the guy riding an XS / 49cm)

No doubt about it, the custom paint is really cool. I think it'll be a secret surprise just for those lucky few who get close enough to see it. Kinda stealth and that's definitely cool.

Congrats on getting exactly what you wanted!
Last edited by Johnny Rad on Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

KWalker

by KWalker

It's a 58 TT, 55 HT. Long n low!

After a lot of debate I realized that I'm really not into the loud/fluoro paint trend. More of a low key, details dude. I'm pretty glad it's not super flashy, but from what I've seen when it's in the sun the metal flake pops a lot more.

Ordered the Bitex hubs for the Pacenti, currently scoping some decent 6 bolt options for the Enves.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike