Just another Addict

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderator: Moderator Team

reknop

by reknop

Johnny Rad wrote:
Sun May 21, 2017 11:56 pm
Replaced my Speedplay Zero cleats with new Zero walkable cleats this weekend. Turns out the walkables use shorter mounting bolts that are about 1/2 the length. The longer length J&L Ti bolts that I just bought are therefore too long. All in all, I saved 5g on my shoes by moving from OEM to J&L but have now added back a gram.
I installed a set of walkable cleats on my second pair of Sidi Wire SP shoes. I was surprised to find these new and shorter bolts. :)

Installation has roughly the same steps.... https://www.remo-knops.com/7310/how-to- ... le-cleats/
Unfortunately the fine-tuning the cleat position with the Ergon TP1 Cleat Tool for Speedplay doesn't work properly anymore.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://www.remo-knops.com/cycling/

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Johnny Rad wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:50 am
Changes coming! Hope to save 50-100g by changing out the Reynolds-branded hub and DT Aero Comp spokes for this and CX-Ray spokes
Ended up shaving 58g (~.13lbs) - 51g from the new hub and just 7g from new spokes. Seems I barely exceeded the low-end of my estimate, but 58g is 58g.

Went from 881g to 823g for the Attack (front) rim, hub, tire (Schwalbe One clincher 23c) and tube (Challenge latex). Only the hub and spokes changed.

** For my complete tuned Attack wheelset, figure it was 1385g/set for OEM. I added 73g moving from OEM Reynold rear hub (255g) to a Powertap GS (322g) excluding whatever happened with the spoke change, but lost 58g on the front. I'm using red Veloplugs (and have been for years). Call it 1400g/set tuned.

viewtopic.php?f=113&t=141582&p=1288288& ... s#p1288288

Last edited by Johnny Rad on Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:13 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Shaved another whopping 9g by updating my shifter bar clamps (Schmolke Ti) and mounting bolts (Carbon-Ti M6x16) from bike online.it. The OEM from SRAM my SRAM eTap weighted-in at 26g.

You can read more here, but I didn't FULLY tune these up like @4ibanez.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=143257&hilit=schmolke+M6+sram

Last edited by Johnny Rad on Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Now sitting at 5.69kg (12.55lbs) with two cages, out front mount and Garmin + PowerTap rear hub.

I'm unlikely to change out my Red22 crank w/Kogel because it shifts so well (plus a Clavicula surprisingly won't save me but ~50g for >$1K).

I've been there, done that with tubulars and they're not for me. However, I am toying with deeper wheels IF they're lighter. Ideally I'd keep my PowerTap GS rear hub, but could see moving to a crank-based system. The downside is buying both new wheels and crank at the same time would be $$$.

What's next for me? Ideas?

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Forgot to mention that I added a rubber/foam-like (?) sleeve for the internally routed brake cables in the top tube to quiet the rattling on rough tarmac. My mechanic installed it through the head tube with the fork off. Slick.

I picked-up the sleeve that my mechanic suggested and it was light, so I went for it. Guessing it's 10-15g. If it felt too heavy, I was going to tell him no!

It's a big improvement, but not perfectly.

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Three quick "sound" updates:

1) Turns out most of the rattling was from my bottle cap lids intermittently banging away on the downtube and seattube while riding on broken pavement. While I continue to like my carbonworks cages, the low profile bottle cage bosses on my Addict don't leave much breathing room for the bottle lids. A couple hundred miles ago, I successfully addressed the rattlng with a thin neoprene washer between the cage and frame. https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 8#p1402408

2) I'm enjoying my Lumaray blinky and finally landed on an optimal mounting system. My Lumaray now hides cleanly underneath my Garmin 520 and doesn't use any room on my bar. At first, I intended to mount my Garmin on top of the Lumaray but realized that it'd be (aesthetically) too tall. I ordered a two-sided mount from Raceware Direct (RWD) probably designed for mounting a camera or light underneath, but the Lumaray hung too low. Now my poridge is just right with an improved two-sided RWD mount. Kudos to Martyn at RWD for making me a custom mount. Maybe you'll want one, too?! https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 7#p1402407

3) Last year, my Kogel PF86 BB with road seals was quiet all year long. I replaced it with an identical one this season. I've since replaced it and another due to ugly creaking. After much tinkering and multiple re-installations, I've gone back to OEM SRAM GXP (non-ceramic) and it's now every bit as quiet as before. Sad, but true.