2017 Trek Madone 9

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Wildh

by Wildh

Sorry to highjack but wondering if anyone else can chime in on using the older style ears for a 7x9mm rail or of anyone has modified the existing 7x7 ones. Have the same dilemma with my madone 9.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

PM sent with the information you requested.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

billendk

by billendk

Is it possible to share the information on 7x9 rails on madone 9? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I cleaned the bike up, and took out the good camera to snap some photos of the bike, today. It’s currently weighing in at 7.59kg with the Bontrager Affinity RXL saddle in place of the Fizik Antares R3 saddle, I bought last year.

Wildh

by Wildh

Sexy.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Thanks! I realized I hadn’t taken any photos of my bike, recently. I had to resolve that.

Mep

by Mep

FIJIGabe wrote:Thanks! I realized I hadn’t taken any photos of my bike, recently. I had to resolve that.

Beautiful bike! It looks like Trek have redesigned the front so the vector wings are no more. How do you feel about the vector wings for the front brake?

Also I'd second the request for posting more information on using 7x9 saddles here so more people can benefit, unless the information is of a sensitive nature then I'd understand the need for PMs.

Wildh

by Wildh

I like the route they are going with the new frame between disc brakes and different brake positioning. I have vision metron 55 wheels and even with black prince pads, braking power is not that great. I'd much prefer disc if using carbon rims.

The vector wings are a novel idea and look neat. I'm sure there is a fair amount aero benefit, but they are not friendliest to work with. I'd have preferred them just to use shimano (or other) direct mount brakes on back side of the fork ease of work and better braking performance.

That's really my only gripe with the 9 series. Otherwise it's an incredible bike!

On the note about saddle rails I did get the larger ears for carbon rails. Although my saddle had 7x9mm, the was no problem with them holding.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Mep wrote:
FIJIGabe wrote:Thanks! I realized I hadn’t taken any photos of my bike, recently. I had to resolve that.

Beautiful bike! It looks like Trek have redesigned the front so the vector wings are no more. How do you feel about the vector wings for the front brake?

Also I'd second the request for posting more information on using 7x9 saddles here so more people can benefit, unless the information is of a sensitive nature then I'd understand the need for PMs.
Well, I see the point to the Vector Wings, and I do prefer having the brakes on the leading edge, rather than trailing edge, of the fork. I guess they are a necessary evil to incorporate the aerodynamics they were looking for. I’m still not convinced disc brakes were necessary, and I don’t plan on selling my Madone 9 for a long time.

Regarding the 7x9 clamps, it’s not hard. Any 7x9 saddle clamp should work. Trek doesn’t make one that matches the Madone 9’s aesthetics, but it’s a standard size opening, so it shouldn’t be hard to find something that works (I happened to use the Emonda SLR clamp, which was red).

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Wildh wrote:The vector wings are a novel idea and look neat. I'm sure there is a fair amount aero benefit, but they are not friendliest to work with. I'd have preferred them just to use shimano (or other) direct mount brakes on back side of the fork ease of work and better braking performance.
You’re absolutely right, they are in the way. That said, it’s just a 3mm Allen bolt. If I need to work on the brakes, off it comes. I have the prior generation Madone with Shimano direct mount brakes, and they work wonderfully, but I’m sure the aero benefits of the new system, not to mention the looks, are worth the hassle.

Mep

by Mep

I read that the vector wings are primarily due to regulations requiring a certain amount of rotation in the handlebars, which the Madone headtube doesn't allow for, and so there isn't really much aerodynamic advantage to them. That makes sense to me if they're missing altogether in the latest version of the Madone. That said, they undeniably do look cool.

Wildh

by Wildh

That would make sense since they open on the extreme angles of the turn. They also keep that part of the brake tucked away from air turbulence.

Don't get me wrong, they are cool and not that bad. It's an amazing bike. 9.7/10 in my books. I've not ridden a better machine.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I definitely agree with that rating. I love my bike, and really didn’t see much of a need for the IsoSpeed adjuster, but I guess others did.

Mep

by Mep

FIJIGabe do you know how heavy is the 7x10 clamp vs the Emonda 7x9 one?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Not off the top of my head. I can try to weigh the Emonda 7x9 clamp, this week, and compare it to the Madone 7x7 clamp, to give you a rough estimate. I've got a race tonight, so it will have to wait until tomorrow, at earliest.