2017 Trek Madone 9

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Mep

by Mep

Not a problem. That'd be super, thanks!
FIJIGabe wrote:Not off the top of my head. I can try to weigh the Emonda 7x9 clamp, this week, and compare it to the Madone 7x7 clamp, to give you a rough estimate. I've got a race tonight, so it will have to wait until tomorrow, at earliest.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Mep wrote:FIJIGabe do you know how heavy is the 7x10 clamp vs the Emonda 7x9 one?
As you requested... 4g difference from the 7mm round to the Emonda 7x9. Sorry, but I can’t remove the 7x10, as it’s in use.
IMG_8717.JPG
IMG_8718.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mep

by Mep

This is perfect, thanks! Couldn't decide whether to source the Emonda one seeing as you were able to get it working, but doesn't seem like a huge weight penalty. I'll probably just go with the 7x10 Madone one and hope it works with Berk oval rails.

gabrielchira

by gabrielchira

Fijigabe, i wanted to ask you about your height , because i want to buy the same model only 2019 . I have 190 cm with 86 inseam and i am considering to buy 60 cm frame size .
Is it possible to raise the saddle up to 82 cm from BB, you said that your current saddle height is 78.5 cm from BB
Thanks a lot
Gabriel

Mep

by Mep

gabrielchira wrote:Fijigabe, i wanted to ask you about your height , because i want to buy the same model only 2019 . I have 190 cm with 86 inseam and i am considering to buy 60 cm frame size .
Is it possible to raise the saddle up to 82 cm from BB, you said that your current saddle height is 78.5 cm from BB
Thanks a lot
Gabriel
You can see the saddle height range on Trek's website: https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bike ... 9/p/25357/

It looks like 60cm will only go up to 80cm saddle rail height.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

That’s the saddle “rail height”. Your saddle top is likely greater than 4mm above the rails, as 4mm difference is less than the lowest profile saddles I can think of. So you should be good with a size 60. I have a saddle height of 804mm on mine, not a Madone but a size 60 Trek and the geo is the same.
I have no idea how you, with an 860mm inseam can fit on a saddle height of 82cm however. Unless that is just your pant size measurement, which doesn’t mean much in bike fit. My inseam is 905mm and my saddle height is 804mm.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Dammit, I was in bed, just catching up on the forum, but I couldn’t leave this question unanswered, so I went and dig up my tape measure to get you an answer. I’m currently riding on the “short” seat post, at the top of the opening. Previously, I was riding on the longer one at the bottom of the opening. As it sits right now, if I were to put a long seat post back on the bike, I have approximately 31mm I can raise the saddle, which would put the saddle height at 815mm. Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@Fijigabe... that doesn’t really jibe with what Trek is stating... 80cm to the rail. Your measurement would imply that from your rails to the top of your saddle is only 1.5cm? I don’t know any saddles with that low a profile. Trek actually revised the number downwards because of the difference in saddle profiles. They use to say the max was 85cm, making an assumption of 5cm for a saddle profile, which is not unreasonable. Without a Madone in front of me I can’t say for sure but I’m still going to say that getting a saddle height of 82cm should be easy, but if there is any doubt then if I was the one asking I’d verify with an actual bike at a store or through Trek directly.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I will check it out, tomorrow, and get you an answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

It took me an extra day, but here is my answer:

Center of BB to bottom of saddle: 73.8mm (Bontrager carbon rails)
Center of BB to top of saddle: 78.5mm

Also, I looked at my seatmast again. I can raise my saddle another 13mm above where it is now (to approximately 80mm from center of BB to the top of the saddle). The longer mast (205mm vs 160mm) gives another 45mm of saddle height.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gabrielchira

by gabrielchira

Thank you guys for all the answers. I took again some mesurements and it’s 83 cm from the centre of BB to the top of fhe saddle on my current Bianchi.so i assume that 80 cm will be at maximum without the saddle.Also in size chart it is written that the bike has 80.4 cm standover witch is kind of low.it should be around 83 cm.Anyway thanks for the clarifications.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Updates to the Madone: I moved from DA9000 (mechanical) to Ultegra 8000 Di2 (w/ a DA9100 crank). Recently, I upgraded from the old Zipp 404's to Aeolus XXX 6's and put some Continental 5000TL's (700x28). Unfortunately, weight has crept up (currently 7.85kg), but this bike is a blast to ride on the wide-open roads, west of Houston, and the crosswind issues I had with the 404's are gone with the XXX's.

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

FIJIGabe wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:12 pm
Updates to the Madone: I moved from DA9000 (mechanical) to Ultegra 8000 Di2 (w/ a DA9100 crank). Recently, I upgraded from the old Zipp 404's to Aeolus XXX 6's and put some Continental 5000TL's (700x28). Unfortunately, weight has crept up (currently 7.85kg), but this bike is a blast to ride on the wide-open roads, west of Houston, and the crosswind issues I had with the 404's are gone with the XXX's.

Great looking bike!
How would you rate the matte finish after all this time, having used and polished glossy frames before? Thanks :)

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Thanks for the compliment. The matte finish does polish up a little, where it rubs. I purposely avoid using any car wash soap, since most of them have some wax in it. In all, the finish has held up great, and I wouldn't hesitate to get another bike in this finish (in fact, I did - check out my Emonda).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

FIJIGabe wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:54 pm
Thanks for the compliment. The matte finish does polish up a little, where it rubs. I purposely avoid using any car wash soap, since most of them have some wax in it. In all, the finish has held up great, and I wouldn't hesitate to get another bike in this finish (in fact, I did - check out my Emonda).
I actually did check the other bike before, but because it was second hand I thought you may not have had a choice about the finish.
Alright thank you very much.
As I currently decide between a carbon raw bike with either matte or glossy finish I'm trying to gather some information and durability seemed to be an advantage of glossy bikes and that's how I got to you and your past polishing bikes in the past :)