My 2nd Colnago in 12 months - EP ST02

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Look565w

by Look565w

Hi All,

Just like to share some details & images of my new 2nd hand Colnago Extreme Power in ST02 colour, which I found on eBay just before Xmas.
It was an un-planned purchase, I already have a C60 that I purchased new from Maestro, UK, last year, but any lug Colnago (steel or carbon) always gets my pulse racing & this EP was no exception.

My second Colnago in 12 months, after 12 years of lusting, I now have 2, it's a bit like a dream to be honest!

I came across this on eBay, the seller from Italy - had a number of old Colnagos & Italian bikes & parts on sale at the time, all very nice stuff, but this EP caught my eye & upon lots of enquery emails & additional images with the seller, I was happy with it so pressed the button to buy :-)
However, it took a looooooooong time to arrive at my door step, mainly due to the busy festive period & tighten security protocol. Eventually it took more than 3 weeks to get from Verona, Italy to Scotland, UK!

The frame is a size 54cm in Traditional geo, my C60 is a T53cm, with a bit of adjustments, I’m pretty sure this will work for me ………….. fingers crossed :-0
I’ve always lust over the ST01, but since I have a “black” one already, so a “white” bike would be very nice indeed :-)

My EP is 8 years old & upon chatting to the seller, this frame belong to his 65 years old uncle, who was retiring from cycling I guess. He must have been a fit guy as the fork steerer was cut low & stem slammed. That was one of the issue I was considering before buying, the fact that it didn’t have much steerer tube left which limited me on stem & headset choice.
He either didn’t ride it much or he took great care in maintaining the bike because for a frames of this age, it was certainly in great condition apart from a few paint chips, the under side of the fork & rear brake bridge were really clean with not much marking what so ever. I suppose Italian roads are much better than our Scottish ones :-)

I’m posting a few images up now just to introduce & I’m gathering parts to slowly getting her ready as soon as I can.
It’ll be dressed in Campagnolo Chorus 2016 but with Record brakes as I prefer the Dual pivot front but single pivot rear & old style 5-arm Record cranks (which I’m still waiting on from StarBikes)
Parts - Deda Superleggero stem & seat post, Deda shallow drop bars, old Fizik Arione saddle (from my C60 with a white central strip to match)
Wheels - not sure yet as funds are limited, I want Hyperons but only 2nd hand but hard to find, most likely Neutron Ultras if I buy new wheels. I can always just pop my Bora 35 (from my C60) and share it between bikes :-)

There is no way this is going to be a Weight Weenie, but it'll be a solid bike with great pedigree, much better than the rider will be :-0

Anyway, hope you guys dig it & I’ll follow up with more images as I go along, please be patience :-)

Thanks for looking.

Cheers

upside

by upside

Now you have me looking. I have never owned a Colnago, but everyone that has one is pulled into the cult.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TomColnago

by TomColnago

Looks good can't wait to see the full bike :thumbup: one of my favourite colourways from colnago :D

PSM

by PSM

:)

rjaync

by rjaync

Bravo. Now I have my Colnago I understand the cult following. Looks amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LorneMalvo

by LorneMalvo

I bet that one's gonna turn out really nice! So glad you're going down the 5-arm crank route, really lookin forward to this [emoji1360]

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

MJB

by MJB

Truly beautiful paint scheme - classier than my STSL EP!

I look forward to watching how this one builds up.

Look565w

by Look565w

MJB wrote:Truly beautiful paint scheme - classier than my STSL EP!

I look forward to watching how this one builds up.

Thanks for all the kind words chaps, I better get my finger out & start the build ..........

MJB, I would love to see your STSL EP, care to direct me to a link please!

Cheers

MJB

by MJB

Look565w wrote:MJB, I would love to see your STSL EP, care to direct me to a link please!

Cheers

Alas just a small fraction too large for me despite a size52 sloping suiting me fine so she's for sale..........

For some reason my flickr link does not want to work....... I'll try an attachment.........
Attachments
Romin-Saddle-Addition-brighter-with-detail-160kB.jpg

Look565w

by Look565w

MJB wrote:
Look565w wrote:MJB, I would love to see your STSL EP, care to direct me to a link please!

Cheers

Alas just a small fraction too large for me despite a size52 sloping suiting me fine so she's for sale..........

For some reason my flickr link does not want to work....... I'll try an attachment.........

Thanks for the pic, MJB.

Your EP looks "mean" & ready for serious action :-) I like it very much!

What size is it? 55cm traditional?

Cheers

BVB

by BVB

Fantastic looking Extreme Power and nice choice on the groupset.

By the way, I'm a huge fan of your C60, reminds me of the early Mapei and Lampre C40's.

MattN

by MattN

Nice, I'd really like an EP.

Look565w

by Look565w

Despite the frame set was in great condition, there were still a few issues I would like to address first before starting the building process, here I have listed a few of the more major ones that I though should be taken care of.

I have taken a few before & after images just to show my thinking behind it & the result of what I did, it’s pretty basic issues, but for me very important nonetheless, so here goes:

Headset
It came with the original (no name - probably came with the frame new, basically it’s top & bottom alloy cups pressed into the HT, with loosed sealed bearings dropped in) headset but I wanted something a lot more dependable, fit & forget, Chris King was my choice - black Sotto Voce 1-1/8 inch.
I was in 2 minds about this as I was looking for a headset with a low stack height to accommodate the limited fork steerer, the CK was about 31-32mm, compare to the likes of the Campagnolo Record (26mm) or the Tune Bobo 24mm.
In the end, I still went with CK & paired that with the Deda Superleggero stem which luckily have a low stack height of 36mm compare to the majority, which are 40mm or more.
Old headset taken out & new CK pressed in by my LBS mechanic - Willy Baines of course :-)

Image Image
Image Image

Bottom Bracket
I wanted this faced as the paint around that area was noticeable & I wanted the thread chased/cleaned as well, which again my LBS did.
With the proliferation of press-fit BB on new bikes now, the good old fashion dependable threaded BB is one I much prefer, so big points score for this EP.
This one is Italian.

Image Image

Rear Mech Hanger
The original one looks a bit tatty, so ordered an after market one from Pilo (via gearmechhanger.com) to put on, but one the screw that holds the hanger was seized, so Willy had to carefully drill out that screw :-0 scary moment for me indeed. Actually saved 1g with the new one :-) looks much cleaner - win win

Image Image
Image Image

Paint Chips
Paint chips on white colour bike is always noticable when the carbon below is exposed, this is no exception. But nothing major, just a few small ones on the drive-side chain stay & head tube (top & bottom)
The other paint chips I cannot touch as it’s among the airbrush work, so it was’t an option on these areas.
Upon recommendation, I got some Humbrol enamel model paint to do the job, trying to match white was not easy, especially when the choice is limited. I tested it out on a piece of off-cut carbon steerer tube to see the results first before doing it for real. However, I think it’s not too bad, plus the fact that I’ll be putting clear protection tape on the chain stay anyway.

Image Image
Image Image

All the pre-build work are done & now just waiting on a few final parts to arrive (should be this week) before I can start the build sometime next week.

Thanks for looking & patience, hope it’s not too much of a bore for you guys, for me showing these issues rather than than the bike itself :-)

Cheers

MrMojo

by MrMojo

Looking good! I'm currently buying parts to build a C40 frame that I got last week. Going to get it resprayed in the PR82 Saronni design first. I bought a C60 just before Christmas and have an Extreme C so I understand the Colnago cult!
2021 Colnago Master
2020 Colnago C64
2017 Colnago C60
2017 Colnago V1-R
2014 Cipollini RB1K
2008 Colnago Extreme C
2005 Colnago C50
2001 Colnago C40
1996 Colnago Tecnos

Look565w

by Look565w

MrMojo wrote:Looking good! I'm currently buying parts to build a C40 frame that I got last week. Going to get it resprayed in the PR82 Saronni design first. I bought a C60 just before Christmas and have an Extreme C so I understand the Colnago cult!

MrMojo - Pictures please if you can! :beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com