Parlee Altum R eTap / R9150 Di2 / Record EPS / Super Record mechanical

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Now wearing R9150 Di2 that I have on review from Shimano Australia; and HED Stinger 3s have now replaced the Mavics (which went back due to rusting spokes):

Weight is still 6.7kg (6.68 to be precise).

guyc

by guyc

Looks good that. How does the DA compare to etap??

Wheels look very tidy. Shame about the spokes on the Mavics.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

guyc wrote:Looks good that. How does the DA compare to etap??

First ride tomorrow morning - will report back.

Visually, though, the DA suits the bike a lot better in my opinion - so much so that I'm already tempted to switch to the mechanical R9100 when the Di2 kit has to go back.

guyc wrote:Wheels look very tidy. Shame about the spokes on the Mavics.

To be honest, I wish I'd thought about the HEDs initially - they were cheaper than the Mavics and just a little bit deeper (which looks better), but at almost exactly the same weight. Visually, I much prefer them. I just hope they ride well.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

I have to agree on a whole the groupset and wheels do suit better...

lobular

by lobular

Also agree.... but needs black bar tape again..

Wingnut

by Wingnut

I'd like to see full black tyres too...

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

I did dry-fit a pair of the Vitt Corsa G with the Anthracite sidewalls: https://flic.kr/p/TxYcZC - I wasn't keen, though.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Updated pics and spec on Pg1 as it's now wearing Record EPS on review from Campagnolo:

corky

by corky

Hate saying it as a Campy boy but best iteration was with Da9100 in terms of aesthetics.....oh and best tape goes to purple.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

I don't disagree on both counts.

Once I'm done with this EPS review I need to decide what groupset I want to buy to use on the bike. I'm tempted by a return to mechanical as it's been a while since I last ran a cabled setup - at the moment it depends on lever comfort as to which way I go.

If I do go mechanical Campag I'll probably go with EEs and aftermarket cranks, but Dura-Ace mechanical would be a full group as the cranks suit the bike so well.

At the moment if I stick with electronic I'll probably go back to eTap, unless I love the EPS.

Bar tape will be an ever-moving feast I'm sure. I've paint-matched a stem to see how that looks on the bike - if I do run that it will need dark tape so I'll probably go back to black, purple or camo.

RyanH

by RyanH

Care to share your thoughts on why eTap over Di2? Any preliminary thoughts on eps?

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

How the did the Mavics end up with rusting spokes? I can't ever recall any wheel I have ever used, including on winter bikes, ending up with corrosion on the spokes. The spokes on the Mavics are CX Rays are they not. Strange.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Last edited by RichTheRoadie on Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

RyanH wrote:Care to share your thoughts on why eTap over Di2? Any preliminary thoughts on eps?

Just the simplicity, really - Di2 is great, but I found myself wishing for the single button simplicity of eTap, plus I prefer the lever shape.

No real time on EPS yes - will report back...

Mr.Gib wrote:How the did the Mavics end up with rusting spokes? I can't ever recall any wheel I have ever used, including on winter bikes, ending up with corrosion on the spokes. The spokes on the Mavics are CX Rays are they not. Strange.

No idea, but they're Mavic's own steel spokes.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Painted a stem to match. Well, nearly - we don't have the same paint codes in Aus to match the 'Nason 5774' that Parlee use on my frame; and the code I chose is just a touch too blue. Still, it's good enough to decide whether or not this is a route I want to stick with:

I'm currently undecided. If I keep it a change of bartape is needed for sure, but I might just go back to the Mcfk...

So far so good on the EPS too. Initially I wasn't keen on the thumb button, but it's growing on me - as are the 4-arm cranks, finally.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com