Moderator: Moderator Team
I'm impressed with your plan - I don't have the patience to take on all that sanding / paint removal.
Please keep posting pics of your progress. I'm eager to see what it becomes.
I went riding on saturday in storm Doris so I was a bit too exhuasted after that to get pictures. However I got some today before I masked off the frame and painted it. I have pictures of before and some of the result after.
There are still scratches on the frame from the sanding and various little bits of paint left but I have wet sanded it to a good enough level to accept clear coat. So my sins should be covered.
As per usual I have ran out of daylight again and I still need to do some finishing touches to the paint. But here are some pictures of the finish.
The cable bosses will be painted gloss black which should hopefully create some nice little accents through the frame.
Here is the start of the masking for the logo I plan to put on the headtube. Not the best stencil I have ever made but it should do the trick.
Thanks for looking.
I had read about people having issues with the front derailleur tab cracking and coming off on these Scotts however I didn't expect it to be so flimsy. I can set up the front derailleur perfectly however as soon as I shift under the slightest load the tab flexes so much that the chain wont shift. I have tried both my SRAM Force derailleur and my Shimano 105 one which was the setup I had previously. I wonder if this is because I am using 11 speed chainrings? I know that everyone says chainrings are all cross compatible between 10 and 11 speed however these SRAM ones are plastered in warnings saying "only use with 11 speed"
Any help would be appreciated as I feel like I am missing a trick here.
euph wrote:However I am having issues with the front derailleur. I had read about people having issues with the front derailleur tab cracking and coming off on these Scotts however I didn't expect it to be so flimsy. I can set up the front derailleur perfectly however as soon as I shift under the slightest load the tab flexes so much that the chain wont shift. I have tried both my SRAM Force derailleur and my Shimano 105 one which was the setup I had previously. I wonder if this is because I am using 11 speed chainrings? I know that everyone says chainrings are all cross compatible between 10 and 11 speed however these SRAM ones are plastered in warnings saying "only use with 11 speed"
Yup, sadly that's a potential issue with that gen of Addict. Sorry to read you've been bitten by it.
I suspect Scott is aware. I've read numerous instances where Scott allegedly replaced frames with cracked carbon FD tabs. Furthermore, the FD tab on the current-gen Addict is significantly more robust and appears to have a metal insert behind it. My impression is that Scott is very progressive with their warranty support for original owners.
I struggled with the carbon FD tab on my '10 Addict (same gen as yours) that didn't ever appear cracked, but got floppier and more tempermental over the years. "My" trusty mechanic - who's a bike Jedi - mastered it, but other mechanics filling in would invariably be driven to tears trying to adjust my FD.
Not sure what's under the FD tab on the seat tube of this gen of Addict, but I frequently toyed with cutting off the FD tab and replacing it with a clamp-on unit (see Parlee and others). Instead of getting primeval on it, I demoted (promoted?) it to basement Zwift duty. My new bike will have a very robust FD tab with some sort of metal insert behind it.
https://store.parleecycles.com/products ... leur-clamp
I am using SRAM Red 10s shifters from my aluminium build that I have posted on here previously. Don't have the weight on me now.
I fear you are correct. I thought I was prepared for this issue and I went in very aware of it and made sure it was solid before I begun this project. Every visual sign was okay. I should have gone further and tested with a quick build up perhaps. Oh well. You live and you learn. I am going to experiment with epoxy and some pressure to see if I can give some "solidness" back to the mount.
Thanks for chiming in with your experience. I will update on my experimenting soon. Coincidentally while I had it built up it weighed ~6.9kg which is inline with my spreadsheet. Very happy.
Thanks for the tip. I have managed to make a little brace for my front derailleur. Combined with some epoxy around the developing cracks I have been able to build the bike up and get the front shifting to work nicely.
My fix is only temporary and in time to come I will either remove the tab and look into a lightweight "band on" replacement or maybe experiment with some carbon fibre as I will have some spare from a university project after summer.
I managed to take the bike out on the first ride today and it handles beautifully. I am pleased with the outcome. Thanks for all the help.
In this picture the shifters look at a funny angle. I have set them this way because the strange eBay bars I am using don't want to cooperate with my shifters. More experimentation is needed. Or a real set of handlebars that won't kill me.
I also made a spreadsheet with the cost and weights in. I have weighed the bike with my hanging scales but they wont give me a reliable weight. Sometimes it is 6.9Kg sometimes it is 7.0Kg. So I will call it 7Kg for £1000
- Similar Topics
- Last post
- 3 Replies
- 663 Views
Last post by LouisN
Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:21 pm
- 5 Replies
- 1047 Views
Last post by daniel8128
Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:06 pm
- 9 Replies
- 970 Views
Last post by stormur
Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:05 am
- 5 Replies
- 507 Views
Last post by ms6073
Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:24 pm
- 0 Replies
- 605 Views
Last post by basenji29
Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:45 am