2017 Specialized Allez Sprint LTD II (Now Red Hook Crit)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

JDLBB

by JDLBB

I hate to hijack but I'm currently building up my allez sprint and am trying to figure out what to do with this small plastic ring in my headset. I bought the frame used so I don't have any tech docs and my tarmac doesn't have that plastic piece. It makes the gap between the fork and head tube very noticeable. Is this meant to be left in there or should it be taken out??

ImageIMG_1610 by JDLBB, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1612 by JDLBB, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1614 by JDLBB, on Flickr

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SpecializedColnago

by SpecializedColnago

That plastic piece actually clips onto the top of the headtube under the headset bearing cover.

JDLBB

by JDLBB

Glad I asked! I went to my local Specialized shop and one of the guys there told me it was supposed to be there. Now that you tell me it goes on top it makes complete sense. Covers up the silver ring on top that looked out of place and made the gap on top look smaller, too. Thanks!!

SpecializedColnago

by SpecializedColnago

No problem! I was scratching my head for a while with my first allez sprint trying to figure out where that piece went also. I don't know why Specialized doesn't just clip it on before they ship them out.

Helmetbox

by Helmetbox

Nice bike you have.

Recently managed to purchase an allez sprint. Was wondering did anyone cut their seatpost?

I am surprised that my short legs can't reach the pedal after inserting the seatpost all the way.

the marking on the uncut seat post read as 4.5. Probably need to bring down to 4.

Anyone has this issue?

sun

by sun

I'm 5'7 and bought a 52cm and had to cut the seatpost about 2 inches. I know 2 other guys who also needed to cut theirs. It seems fairly normal.

joelpace

by joelpace

@JDLBB - I had the same question on mine. I finally figured it out through trial and "hell no!"

SpecializedColnago

by SpecializedColnago

I finally got around to finishing this thing up. The only change from the original build is the frame, and the bar tape is now the Cinelli Caliedo tape. The only changes I plan on making in the future are a custom saddle from Berk, and a Zipp sprint stem to get a little lower. A buddy has my scale so I will get a total weight once I get that back from him.

The current situation in the garage is getting a little out of hand.

themidge

by themidge

Got to be one of my favourite builds ever! :thumbup: Instantly saved offline :D
Although the crank is kinda ugly

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

Hot. Whats your saddle height?

SpecializedColnago

by SpecializedColnago

themidge wrote:Got to be one of my favourite builds ever! :thumbup: Instantly saved offline :D
Although the crank is kinda ugly

Yeah I wanted to run the old S-works cranks but they discontinued them as I was in the process of building up my first Allez Sprint, so I had to settle for the new revised S-works Cranks. They look a little better in person but the crank arms are still a little chunky for my tastes. They are crazy stiff though.

dudemanppl wrote:Hot. Whats your saddle height?

I always forget when I don't have the tape measure in my hand but I will get back to you when I measure it at home. My saddle to bar drop is only around 8 cm, and my saddle setback is an illegal 47mm. I should probably be on the 49cm size to get the headtube length I actually need for my short legs but then the top tube is quite a bit shorter and I already have issues lifting the back wheel off the ground in sprints sometimes with the 120 mm stem and being so far over the center of the bike when sprinting.

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

Just FYI, lifting the rear wheel while sprinting is a technique issue, not too related to a long stem. You can lift the rear wheel with a 50mm stem, or be completely planted with a 150mm stem. Just practice. I had to work on my technique too.

SpecializedColnago

by SpecializedColnago

That is true that my technique is contributing to the rear wheel lift as I am still adapting to the geometry of the Allez Sprint. I never used to have any issues with my old Trek Madone but I had years of practice on that frame. I'm going to have to relearn on the new bike.

Saddle height is 690mm from center of bottom bracket to top of Saddle.
Last edited by SpecializedColnago on Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HaroldC

by HaroldC

That's an awesome build! I love that frame but missed out, they were long sold out of 56's when I heard about it. Good luck with the bike, it's a rare beauty!

SpecializedColnago

by SpecializedColnago

Thanks! I got really lucky to get one even though I was one of the first people to preorder. I plan on keeping the frame forever and just using it as art work when I move on to something new.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com