2016 Cervelo S5 - Project 'Sub-7'

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Wookski

by Wookski

ryanw wrote:
evan326 wrote:You could try a kalloy uno 7 110mm stem, mine came in at 113g. Instead of your 130g fsa.

I've been contemplating the Extralite HyperStem, but read some bad reviews on it and it's clamping...

The hyperstem is rad but care does need to be taken when installing to ensure there is no pinching of the steerer or bars.

Plenty of opportunities to save heaps of weight- e.g. Change hubs to Extralite cyber front/ rear, SRAM Red cassettes are around the 160g mark, those cranks/ rings are also quite heavy.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nvroadie

by nvroadie

Just as a word of warning, I have found that the Michelin tires don't have too much grip. Maybe it's my aggressive criterium cornering, but I have had rear wheels slide out quite easily. On the bright side, they seem to be bulletproof, riding through glass fields didn't cause any punctures! The traction issue is only relevant in crits though.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

nvroadie wrote:Just as a word of warning, I have found that the Michelin tires don't have too much grip. Maybe it's my aggressive criterium cornering, but I have had rear wheels slide out quite easily. On the bright side, they seem to be bulletproof, riding through glass fields didn't cause any punctures! The traction issue is only relevant in crits though.

I've found that too mate. Not the best grip in the wet, but roll faster than any tyres I've owned (race bike, race tyres).

Just put some GP4K2's on my commuter CAAD12. Never had any issues with them.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

nvroadie

by nvroadie

I definitely agree that they are some of the fastest tires I've ridden, and use them on my light wheels. For all around performance I use the S-Works Turbo. They are killer fast, and I only got one flat last season, including winter training! They aren't the lightest, but for crits you can't beat them.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

***UPDATE***

Just had an email from my Cervelo dealer... Cervelo Europe are sending me out a brand new frame to replace my faulty one. Absolutely amazing customer service!

Should be over from Germany in the next week or so.

anquetil

by anquetil

Super bike!

You need Berk saddle or seatpost combo.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

anquetil wrote:Super bike!

You need Berk saddle or seatpost combo.

Not gunna happen, it's a integrated aero seatpost.

anquetil

by anquetil

Why, just send your seatpost and he will integrate saddle on.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

A few changes (slammed stem, Ti bolts) has got me to 7,000g on the nose. This is with pedals, Garmin mount, chain catcher & bottle cage.

Keeping my eyes pealed for some Enve 4.5s to get me under 7kg...

The bike as it sits now in some very rare UK sunshine:

Last edited by ryanw on Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nvroadie

by nvroadie

That's s bike that is super functional, with reliable components and it even has aero finishing kit! Very impressive!

Arfer01

by Arfer01

nvroadie wrote:That's s bike that is super functional, with reliable components and it even has aero finishing kit! Very impressive!

what this guy said,

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Saved 8g last night changing from the Deda bar tape to Lizard Skins DSP 1.8mmm, so in theory bike now weighs 6,992g :D

BmanX

by BmanX

I like this build. Well done.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

That's as nice a setup for an S5 that I have seen, super clean, everything works together aesthetically. I wouldn't obsess over the weight, not with heavy wheels, heavy bar, etc. I bet it's fast though.

This is my first look at this thread and I can't believe the rear brake mount failure. :shock: That could be pretty serious in certain situations. Let's hope the front brake doesn't suffer a similar malady. I assume it is a tradition nut and bolt arrangement but still... As for the amazing customer service, I think you received basic acceptable customer service considering the brakes fell off!! Amazing customer service for this type of failure should also include a written apology, store credit for some Cervelo merchandise, and oral favours.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com