Colnago C60 MHWH

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Sleepless

by Sleepless

Yes, it's finished. I've been sick for the past week so I couldn't find a chance to snap outside pics. Hopefully she'll meet tarmac next week and I'll take some proper photos.

Sleepless

by Sleepless

So I did a short first ride yesterday. It rides like a dream. I couldn't get shifting work properly though. It's fine on small chainring but too noisy on bigring, at unusable levels. I tried adjusting H screw, B screw, you name it. Everything's set up according to Campy specs. I never had issues adjusting Shimano components and Chorus on my other bike works fine and I can set it up from scratch. So I don't know what's wrong with SR on this bike. Back to reading forum posts. :)

Sorry for shit photos. :)

Last edited by Sleepless on Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@Sleepless: Setting up the front derailleur properly on the 2015+ stuff is not anything like the pre 2015 stuff. With the older stuff you just adjust the derailleur as close to the chain as possible when in the small ring and large cog, pull the cable taught, then tighten it down. 3 clicks and you're on the big ring, end of story.
The new stuff is very different, especially when it comes to setting the correct cable tension. It does not look as though you have the supplied inline cable adjuster installed. Without that it is going to be very difficult for you to get it right. I could write a complete class in how to do it without the inline adjuster but you really need to experience it. Or go get yourself a couple spare derailleur cables (you'll be loosening and tightening it so many times as you learn that in the end you'll be wanting a new cable on there), a fourth hand tool (yes, it's necessary unless you are blessed with an extraordinary amount of random luck), and prepare to sit down and play with all kinds of scenarios until you really understand the nuances of setting it up right. Once it is set up right, you will be able to ride in EVERY combo, even extreme crossed, with no derailleur rub. Nada. And when in the big ring, you should be able to hit and ride any and all of the rear cogs without so much as touching the front derailleur. There is no trim on the front since when it's properly set you can hit all cogs cleanly. Good luck, but you might save yourself some anguish by just installing the inline adjuster, at least for now.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Sleepless

by Sleepless

Calnago, thanks for tips but I think what I meant to say was lost in translation. Front shifting is perfectly fine. No rubbing in any combination. I stepped up my front mech adjusting game because of incompetent mechanics over here. Many bike shops here just can't do basic trim settings even on Shimano stuff, which is fairly easy with an inline adjuster. I spent hours on my DA9000 to get it right and front mech setup is no problem for me anymore. That SR rear mech on the other hand...

What I'm currently having is, the system is quiet and smooth while I'm riding in small chainring. At that time, both front and rear shifting are fine. When I shift into big chainring, everything starts to scream and rear shifting is kind of screwed up. I tried almost everything with the rear derailleur but it's quite loud and not behaving right when front is on bigring. I don't have this issue on my 2015+ Chorus group. I'm using the same wheelset and cassette on both bikes and rear derailleur setup is almost the same.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Hmmm... ok. So when on big ring there is no front derailleur chain rub in any combination. Well, that's good then. As for the rear, tough to say without being there. Assume derailleur hanger was properly checked and aligned. Assuming a Campy chain.
That "new" screw, call it the "b" screw, is completely backed off I assume?... as its effect is not needed on a C60. Chain is correct length, long enough? Limit screws properly set. No excessive cable friction anywhere? Derailleur housings fully seated in the levers? Cassette in good condition? New chain on a worn cassette can be awful. Standard stuff really, but short of a defective derailleur, I'd say start over from scratch. Also, can you give a little more detail as to what you mean by "not behaving right". Is it misbehaving in all the cogs or just a few, etc. What exactly is it not doing or doing that it shouldn't?
Last edited by Calnago on Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Sleepless

by Sleepless

I'll say yes to all your questions. New Chorus cassette that's around 1k km, new Record chain, everything set up correctly according to Campy tech manuals. I checked everything twice. Starting over is good idea and I'll definitely do that. Maybe third time's the charm. :)

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ok, sounds good. One last Hail Mary, and this is really a long shot but does the chain seem to want to derail off the inside of the lower pulley at all? I created a thread about an issue I experienced but I think that's a real outlier. To be honest, your situation sounds like an adjustment and/or cable friction issue to me. And do make sure the upper limit screw is not too far inboard, creating a bad starting point. Good luck. And beautiful bike. My size in a sloping C60.

Sleepless

by Sleepless

Thanks Calnago. I'm following your thread and I must say that it's a masterpiece. It's been a great guidance for me.

We can swap if you ever get sick of that PR99! :wink:

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Beautiful bike. Hope you sort out the shifting.

The whole setup has very nice proportions. Curious how tall are you? and what is your saddle height?

Tks.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Sleepless

by Sleepless

@Mr. Gib, Thank you. I'm 187 cm and my saddle height is 81 cm. Saddle to bar drop should be around 11 cm.

JKolmo

by JKolmo

Really really nice bike you've got there! Hope you'll be able to sort the shifting issues.

afalts

by afalts

Sounds like your cables may be crossed/twisted within your downtube, when you add tension to the front derailleur cable going into the big ring it could be stressing the rear der cable if that's the case.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

That's a very good point @afalts and one I forgot to mention. I did check to see how he had it cabled up front, and based on that the cables should not intentionally cross each other in the downtube, like would be the case if you used the routing which I prefer and intentionally have the cables cross within the downtube. However, regardless of that, there's no reason they couldn't get twisted (versus just cross each other) all the same regardless of the routing method used, which would absolutely be a possible cause for everything working fine while in the small ring then going all whack as soon as you're in the big ring.

Sleepless

by Sleepless

Thank you guys. I think I sorted it out. RD limits were not set correctly. It's a bit finickier to setup than Shimano which I'm used to. It's quieter now but not perfect yet. Oh and I need a workstand. My back hurts, a lot. :D

Sleepless

by Sleepless

So, finally everything's setup correctly and she rides like a dream. I also updated final weights list. She sits at 7050 gr as pictured.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com