Danza

by Danza

56s?

Sleepless

by Sleepless

Danza, yes 56s.

Sleepless

by Sleepless

So, that was a short lived affair. 2 days ago, I noticed a crack (6-7 cm long, I can push in easy) on the right side of top tube along with some clear coat delamitation on top side of it. I only had 500 km on it and never crashed, dropped or anything like that. I cleaned and inspected after every ride. It was fine in the morning that day. I had commute to work, parked in the office which is a secure and private area, inspected before my ride back home which was fine and there it was when I was back home.

The damage is something that would happen if someone took a hammer on it but as I said it was fine before my last ride and I take great care of my equipment, be it bikes or guitars which are also I'm a fan of since a long time. And there's not any hit marks other than the crack itself and clear coat damage.

I raised the issue with the dealer and he'll consult the distributor and the factory. Let's see what's going to happen next.

evan326

by evan326

Sorry to hear, hopefully they make it quick and painless

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Vagabond

by Vagabond

Bella!

I don't usually offer any changes as we all like things our own way. But, I think this build would look even better with white bar tape. While I enjoy the Velominati we part ways when it comes to white and matching bar tape to saddles.
Colnago e Campagnolo

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

Sleepless wrote:So, that was a short lived affair. 2 days ago, I noticed a crack (6-7 cm long, I can push in easy) on the right side of top tube along with some clear coat delamitation on top side of it. I only had 500 km on it and never crashed, dropped or anything like that. I cleaned and inspected after every ride. It was fine in the morning that day. I had commute to work, parked in the office which is a secure and private area, inspected before my ride back home which was fine and there it was when I was back home.

The damage is something that would happen if someone took a hammer on it but as I said it was fine before my last ride and I take great care of my equipment, be it bikes or guitars which are also I'm a fan of since a long time. And there's not any hit marks other than the crack itself and clear coat damage.

I raised the issue with the dealer and he'll consult the distributor and the factory. Let's see what's going to happen next.

Hope you can get this sorted out asap.. Things like this always remain relatively heavy on the conscience and never gets any better with the passing of time. Would you have any pics of the crack?
THE PAST: 2005 C'dale R700, 2006 Spesh S-Works Tarmac Gerolsteiner, 2009 Pinarello Dogma FPX My Way, 2011 Time RXR VIP

THE PRESENT: 2016 Colnago C60 ST01, 2017 Wilier Cento 10 Ramato, Cinelli Gazetta

THE FUTURE: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Sleepless

by Sleepless

Thank you guys. Here's the damage:

It's really hard to believe something like that would happen on its own, especially considering how thick and tough Colnago tubes are. That line on second photo is not just a scratch, it's completely cracked.

I'm still waiting for factory's response but I'm willing to get it repaired even if they won't honor the warranty. I spent so much for the frame. It would be such a shame to bin it.

kgt

by kgt

That's really a rare incident. Have never seen anything like that on a hi-end Colnago.
I am curious what the response of the factory will be.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

That is very strange, and certainly looks like impact damage, although even in the pics it's a bit hard to see exactly what happened as well.. Just how "secure and private" is that area you park your bike in all day while at work? I have to think something caused that other than just riding around. But with only 500km on it I suppose it could have been something lurking beneath the finish, but I don't know how it wouldn't have been at least noticeable before this. Nothing unfortunate happened during the build did it, that may have seemed ok at the time but took a while to manifest itself in the form of a crack?
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

fogman

by fogman

I truly hope that Colnago will warranty your frame but it does look like some sort of impact damage to me. In the event of no warranty coverage, I have had good results with Calfee and have heard that Ruckus Composites does nice work as well. Isn't one of the advantages of the Colnago lugged construction that the broken tube can be replaced at the Colnago factory?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Regarding repair... if you go that route... use Calfee. I tried Ruckus Composites for my C59 repair. Never again. I will update my C59 thread with the results soon, but wanted to warn you in advance. There's another thread on Carbon Repair over on the Paceline forum. I was directed to it but long after I had sent my frame to Ruckus. Had I read that thread before hand, I would have probably made a different decision regarding Ruckus. But I gave them a chance and my experience pretty much mirrored some of the accounts in that thread.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Sleepless

by Sleepless

Yeah, it really looks like impact damage except there's no sign of the impact itself. I'd be surprised if someone could replicate the damage by "hitting". But it's hard to believe otherwise and I know this is internet, we don't believe everything we read.

@Calnago, secure area is inside the building where there are security people at all times and cameras. Yes, I checked the camera and no one even came close to the bike. It's in clear sight of security people too. I built the bike on my turbo trainer so no "clamping" at all. Hell, I didn't even tighten my turbo. :)

At this point I would be very happy if I'd have crashed the bike myself. At least I'd have inner peace, knowing it was my fault. I don't really think that the factory will think it's manufacturing error unless they've seen it before.

I checked Ruckus' and Calfee's work and they look good but I'd like to have Colnago to repair the frame if possible no matter what the cost is. The bike is literally brand new and original. I'd like to keep it that way. I already paid a few grand, only rode with lycra once and it wouldn't hurt to pay another grand to start really enjoying the bike.

@Calgano, thanks for heads up re-Ruckus. I'll try my chance with Colnago first.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I think I tried Colnago first as well, since I was injured and wouldn't be on the bike for some time. I seem to recall them saying they don't do those repairs anymore, but give them a shot. If they do, I would guess it would take a long time for turnaround. As for ultimate finish goes, yours is a gloss finish which is a lot easier to match than a matte finish like mine was. But, regardless, a proper repair would involve working with quite a bit larger section than just where the crack is. They will "delayer" it back and then, I would think, use a scarf joint to feather the whole tube back together. It may be difficult to match the shaped tube exactly and may end up a bit thicker in that area. So sorry that happened so early on. Do report back as to what Colnago says. Colnago America actually said they had good work done by Ruckus Composites and that's probably the biggest reason I felt ok giving them a shot versus Calfee, who I've used before and never heard a bad word about. But from my experience, and others I read about, I cannot recommend Ruckus Composites.

One final thought... do you have kids that perhaps might have inadvertently knocked it over at home, quickly set it back up and then swore to secrecy that they could "never tell Dad, since he loves that bike more than us".

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Sleepless

by Sleepless

Thanks Calnago, I'll report back.

No kids, only wife. She bought me that frame as birthday present and she's as devastated as I am. Bike sits in my "man cave" in our flat and noone else is allowed inside. :)