Colnago C60 MHWH

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

bura

by bura

Hope you find a happy ending to your frame dilemma.
Much to my relief glad to hear that your wife have bought you that frame ,otherwise was going to ask the same question as Calnago,inserting wife :-)
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Is your mancave under lock and key? :lol:
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nestornnk

by nestornnk

Hi
Colnago would repair this by changing the tube.It would take around2-3 months but cost will be higher than the independent shops.
Off course after the repair the frame will be like new.

Your dealer will ship the frame to the distributor and they will ship it to Italy.

Sleepless

by Sleepless

Nice detective work here. :D The thing is, it was fine before I started my final ride which is only 9 kilometers.

@nestornnk, I'll gladly except that if it's not a manufacturing flaw. In fact, I'll be flying to Bergamo next week and I can deliver it in person. It would be both cheaper and safer (more cracks in the hands of shipping company? :) ).

dj97223

by dj97223

Is it possible that you sat on the top tube and cracked it?
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

I'm just coming from past observances but that looks awfully close to what my friend encountered on his C60. In this case, he went over the top and sustained some clear damage on his hoods and bars but the remainder of the frame remained largely intact until I saw this... From what I could tell, the crack is similar to that of yours..No signs of impact damage but rather wondering if its more aligned with stress related cracking? In either case, the damage was done and the rider in this case took it on himself to accept that his crash caused it... but now that I see yours, I'm inclined to offer him a second opinion..

THE PAST: 2005 C'dale R700, 2006 Spesh S-Works Tarmac Gerolsteiner, 2009 Pinarello Dogma FPX My Way, 2011 Time RXR VIP

THE PRESENT: 2016 Colnago C60 ST01, 2017 Wilier Cento 10 Ramato, Cinelli Gazetta

THE FUTURE: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Sleepless

by Sleepless

dj97223, no I didn't.

jimaizumi, yes that looks very similar and almost the same section of top tube? That section is almost impossible to touch the ground because saddle, cranks and handlebar would come in contact first unless it hits a large stone or curb on side of road. How did his story end?

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

@Sleepless, I actually took the liberty of showing him your picture and apparently the Colnago deemed it to be user error on his part and could not get it replaced/repaired under warranty. I wish you better luck as I think Colnago Japan is pretty snobbish to begin with and I hear its rather difficult to get them to warranty anything. Keep us posted.. I almost want to conduct a full check on my bike...
THE PAST: 2005 C'dale R700, 2006 Spesh S-Works Tarmac Gerolsteiner, 2009 Pinarello Dogma FPX My Way, 2011 Time RXR VIP

THE PRESENT: 2016 Colnago C60 ST01, 2017 Wilier Cento 10 Ramato, Cinelli Gazetta

THE FUTURE: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

dj97223

by dj97223

I hope it works out for you. It is a bummer finding a problem with a new bike.
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Did you build it, or was it built by a shop? Looks like it might have been clamped by the top tube in a bike stand and that this might have weakened the tube - after that it would only be a matter of time before the weakness appears.

I would suggest the weakness was created somehow, then over the short time you've had it sweat / washing / rain has eventually got through the clear coat to highlight the crack.

Or it could be a genuine fault. That certainly shouldn't be ruled out.

Sleepless

by Sleepless

@RichTheRoadie, I built it myself on my turbo trainer, never clamped. I only did a few commutes, cafe rides and only one lycra ride. Never in wet and no sweat was involved. I cleaned it after every ride with baby wipes. I only built it this February and used my steel steed primarily for real rides, so this is a real "garage bike".

I was expecting a reply today as my dealer told me but didn't get any. Italians, eh? :)

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

nestornnk wrote:Hi
Colnago would repair this by changing the tube.It would take around2-3 months but cost will be higher than the independent shops.
Off course after the repair the frame will be like new.

Your dealer will ship the frame to the distributor and they will ship it to Italy.

@nestornnk: Just wondering how they could change the top tube without taking out all the other tubes as well. Those tubes are inserted well into the lugs, and I don't think there's any practical way they could just replace that one tube without debonding all the tubes in the lugs and then rebonding them back in while in a jig, then curing the whole thing in the oven, etc. etc., then a complete repaint. Have you actually seen a frame from Colnago that has had just one of the main tubes replaced, fully and completely? I haven't. I think the advantage to tube and lug construction is that they can do custom geometries to a certain extent with them, versus a molded frame. But replacing just a single tube from a crash... I'm not so sure if that's something they can do, at least not for a practical cost. If they can replace just a single main tube, then I'd really like to know the process they use to do it.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

nestornnk

by nestornnk

Hi Calnago,i am not sure about the process but i know they do it.
Unfortunately they do not share this information(the procedure) with the distributors.

We had a client that damaged the whole front triangle of his C59 in a crash a couple of years ago and they repaired it by changing the top and down tube along with the head tube lug.
The repair cost was almost the same of a new frame.

When i visit them next time i will try to find out..

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Well that repair that you describe is essentially what I'm saying they would have to do. In that case, they had to replace the downtube, top tube, and the headtube lug. But they can't possibly replace "just" the top tube, or "just" the downtube easily since there is no way they could fit either tube in the lugs unless the whole thing was pulled apart. In the case you describe, they pulled the entire front end apart, used new tubes, and a new headtube lug, and thus were able to put Humpty back together again. So, I'd think replacing just one of the tubes would still entail pulling the complete frame apart from its lugs as was the case in the repair you describe... probably not very cost effective versus just getting a new frame.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Sleepless

by Sleepless

Alright, they are asking the frame back. No certain word for a repair or exchange yet but they did not refused honoring the warranty straight away, so I think that's something. :)