completed Trek 5900 project

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

digitalintrigue

by digitalintrigue

This is my old Trek 5900 that I got in 2007, it's a 2003 model. Formerly US Postal livery...

I had a bad crash on this frame in 2012 when the front fork broke (that's for another story.)

Sent the frame to Trek for them to inspect, they updated it to accept a standard headset and fork

Paint: Porsche Arena Red (to match my 911) by Austin Paintworks.

New parts:

DA 9000 gruppo (compact crank, 11-32 Ultegra cassette), Acer carbon jockey wheels (ceramic bearings)

DA C24 clinchers with Continental GP4000s II, KCNC Ti skewers

Easton EC90 carbon bars, Deda Elementi Traforato Bar Tape, EC90 carbon seatpost, Kalloy Uno stem, generic ebay carbon saddle [ http://ebay.to/2eKgYhg ]

Chris King NoThreadset Sotto Voce headset, Ritchey carbon fork

Speedplays with Ti spindles, Arundel carbon bottle cage, Wahoo speed/cadence sensor

6.84kg

http://restoration35.com/trek5900.jpg
http://restoration35.com/trek_logo.JPG

Previously:

Last edited by digitalintrigue on Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:26 am, edited 4 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

greentimgreen

by greentimgreen

Congrats! I think you've done a great job. The paint reminds me a little of Parlee's Candy Apple red - would look fantastic with 45mm carbon wheels and gum wall tyres! 8)

I think this post should be in Introduce yourself FYI... :wink:
2014 Parlee Z-Zero DADi2 & ENVE (6.2kg)
2015 Colnago C60 RSWH Campag Chorus & Mavic SLR (c.7kg)

digitalintrigue

by digitalintrigue

thanks!

oh yeah. maybe a mod can move it.

deeper wheels are an expense for next year.... :)

Benno

by Benno

Beautiful restoration. Love the parts spec. Thanks for sharing.

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Love what you've done with the bike.

As requested, move the thread to the intro forum.
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Looks amazing! Congratulations on a great looking (and hopefully, riding) bike!

FilmAt11

by FilmAt11

Very nice. What did they do for the head tube - was it a complete replacement or something else?

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

I realy love what you have done with this bike! boy, that Trek frame is a design classic and still a great base to build a modern bike on. There are three area's that I hope you can address to make this bike stand out from the crowd.
1. the stem, please give it a good rub down with acetone to get rid of the decals.
2. the seatpost. please give it a good rub down with sandpaper to get rid of the decals.
The two of those combined disturb the cleanliness of the bike and make it look better as the focus is pulled towards the frame in stead of the stem and post.
3. please find a better matching bottle cage. this one is to big and bold to be on a road bike of this size. May I suggest an arundel mandible or a tune wasserträger uni?

When those three things get adjusted, this bike will be a perfect bike in my eyes.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

digitalintrigue

by digitalintrigue

FilmAt11 wrote:Very nice. What did they do for the head tube - was it a complete replacement or something else?

The Trek 5900 had an oddball headtube which was prone to getting water in the bearing. This was a factory recall, they did the work for free, just had to pay shipping. It now uses a standard 1 1/8" straight steerer and headset

digitalintrigue

by digitalintrigue

Frankie - B wrote:I realy love what you have done with this bike! boy, that Trek frame is a design classic and still a great base to build a modern bike on. There are three area's that I hope you can address to make this bike stand out from the crowd.
1. the stem, please give it a good rub down with acetone to get rid of the decals.
2. the seatpost. please give it a good rub down with sandpaper to get rid of the decals.
The two of those combined disturb the cleanliness of the bike and make it look better as the focus is pulled towards the frame in stead of the stem and post.
3. please find a better matching bottle cage. this one is to big and bold to be on a road bike of this size. May I suggest an arundel mandible or a tune wasserträger uni?

When those three things get adjusted, this bike will be a perfect bike in my eyes.

Thanks! yes, these are all planned. The original stem was all black, no logos, but the supplier was forever backordered so when I went with a longer stem I ordered the one with logos instead, which was immediately available, and plan to remove them. Ditto for the seatpost logos.

The bottle cage came off my other bike, I'll definitely be going with a less noticeable design although the Arundel that is on there now is great in operation.

digitalintrigue

by digitalintrigue

FIJIGabe wrote:Looks amazing! Congratulations on a great looking (and hopefully, riding) bike!

Thanks, it rides great! I was astonished at how quickly it responds compared to my other bike (Trek 5200) which is 2 pounds heavier.

JDEves

by JDEves

Congrats on this beautiful ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mannequinforce

by mannequinforce

Beauty!

brahl

by brahl

Frankie - B made some really great inputs. I think it's fantastic to use the older Trek 5200/5900/Madone frames for new bike builds as someone else mentioned.

Looks awesome.
2020 Litespeed T1sl
2016 Specialized S-Works Tarmac (SL5)
2006 Trek Madone SL 5.9

Lig

by Lig

Superb paint job and great looking retro/modern ride! BUT I would love to see it in front of your 911 (I hope its a 993)!!

Cheers,
Lig.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com