Hongfu FM079

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

Today the Veloplugs were delivered, so I mounted the tire/tube to see how wide the Cayuse Pass will be on new rims. It's 26.85mm, a ~2mm less then Pro One. I hope there won't be any noticeable comfort degradation, maybe the increased volume will partially compensate width. Even with soap, I wasn't able to mount the tire using bare hands, so I had to resort to one lever. The Pro Ones require two levers. The depth looks just right, but the orange Tubolito valve stem feels somewhat out of place. Still not decided what spokes to go with: the Berd might have clearance issues with CyberHubs and the order queue will delay the build well into August.
Attachments
IMG_20180604_124350.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

Despite my best efforts, I only managed to find two places that sell these: Vaxes Bikes/Topventurer and Fair Wheel Bikes. Vaxes has better prices and even gives out free silver Pillar DSN 18mm 13g nipples, but I wanted black, so now I have a bag of rare nipples lying around. The customer experience was good, they even helped me out when I picked incorrect nipple length. Talking about shopping, last time I forgot to mention how awesome was the first time buying stuff at Starbike: the WW discount alone made Extralite hubs cheaper than at R2, they also provided me an extra discount due to inventory mishap and shipping to Russia was free. How amazing is that?
Attachments
Pillar DSN 18mm 13g 48pcs weight
Pillar DSN 18mm 13g 48pcs weight
Pillar X-TRA Lite Ti 265mm 12pcs weight
Pillar X-TRA Lite Ti 265mm 12pcs weight
Pillar X-TRA Lite Ti 263mm 12pcs weight
Pillar X-TRA Lite Ti 263mm 12pcs weight
Pillar X-TRA Lite Ti 271mm 24pcs weight
Pillar X-TRA Lite Ti 271mm 24pcs weight

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

I was curious about these hollow T20 J&L Ti stem bolts, so I ordered some. That's almost 6g less than my current set of black anodized Ti bolts.
Attachments
J&L T20 Ti stem bolts weight
J&L T20 Ti stem bolts weight

shlammed

by shlammed

how do you like the hope rx4 calipers now?

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

shlammed wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:17 pm
how do you like the hope rx4 calipers now?
Everything has been great, the issue with "leaking" calipers turned out to be a user error. Love how straightforward the bleeding procedure was, I didn't have to order any new tools, just a Shimano funnel and a syringe with 5mm fitting, the same I used to bleed R1R. The braking power is better than the previous setup, but that's an unfair comparison, given I now run a set of fresh semi-metallic pads and a 160mm front rotor. When braking in drops though, I have to be careful due to extra leverage, but I didn't endo yet, lol. The frame to caliper tolerances both front and rear could have been better, but that's mostly a frameset issue. Still, I sent some feedback to Hope, maybe they'll tweak the front caliper hose attachment design.

If everything goes OK, I'll have the new wheelset built this weekend, hello sub-6kg 8) That was a good timing, otherwise I wouldn't be able to order everything without shilling out extra bucks to greedy government of this country because stricter import tariffs.

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

New stem bolts installed. I also put on Red Yaw FD because, as mentioned several times before, FD-9000 does not work well with my frame and rubs in 34/26. Didn't ride the bike yet, but the only rub remaining now is on 50/11, which I use quite seldom, and is caused by a missing tooth on a 50t chainring, time to order a replacement 50t. The weight came out at a wash, I used a 1.8g M5 Ti bolt to clamp the FD instead of 3.6g SRAM one since I don't need a chain catcher and a FD-9000 braze-on washer (0.75g vs 1.37g). I might even dremel it a bit like @prendrefeu did in this topic.
Attachments
IMG_20180623_182102.jpg
IMG_20180623_182115.jpg

kipduff

by kipduff

WOW- glad I found this thread! MY COMPLIMENTS TO THE CHEF! Am on similar path, and this helps a lot.

Want to upgrade from my 2013 HongFu FM039 (56cm) /Dura Ace 9 speed/Cannondale BB30 Hollowgram crank set/DengFu 38mm aero wheels (rim brakes). I calculated the 56cm size using Comnpetitive Cyclist online program- I fell between 54 and 56cm- shoulda got the 54cm. Every time I test ride my daughters 2001 DengFu 49cm FM015 with Rolf Vector wheels, I feel there's someting missing with my FM039 in the ride/precision handling department.. I'm looking for that same feel as hers, so figure I'll go down to 54, 53, or 52cm. Wheel upgrade might help here also- since I want to go with discs, I will have to replace the wheels anyway. I plan the build, I'm thinking relatively light overall, keep the Cannondale/DuraAce BB30 drivetrain, go to Spyre mechanical disc brake kits, and get new Chinese (or?) disc style aero carbon wheels.

Klaster1- on page one, you said you probably wouldn't go with an FM079 or FM088 if you were to do it again. As I consider what frame to get and am looking closly at these two frames, of course I'm wondering if you have found something that you think might be a better choice. Of course, anyone else's opinion appreciated also.

Thanks, Kip.........

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

kipduff wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:03 pm
As I consider what frame to get and am looking closly at these two frames, of course I'm wondering if you have found something that you think might be a better choice.
At that moment I did not know about fixes that gone in FM079F (nor about road bikes in general, ha-ha), but now that I took a look at the photos, the front derailleur clearance has been improved. Still no idea about brake caliper mounting points, but given the move to flat mount, you certainly won't see non-finished post-mount threads and probably no oversprayed tabs. The threaded BB option is always good, and I think you can get the frame with a 12mm TA fork too, so I think FM079F should be good, I went and edited the confusing opinion from the first post. As for the other options, take a look at WCB-R-093 which my new fork came from, but it has more relaxed geometry compared to FM079. And don't forget about the open mold thread for more feedback about all other frames.

kipduff

by kipduff

R-093: light. Not familiar with that company- thanks for tip. Nice- although I kinda like beefyer structure. Am researching.

Am looking closly at Dengfu R10 (I think Specialized Venge "inspired"). BB86 only. Looks nice- and stiff also. Opinions?

Looks like I'm gonna have to move towards BB86: Cannondale Hollowgram BB30 won't fit (pretty sure). Seems industry is moving away from BB30. So I'm starting to look at new/used drivetrain: probably Sram Red non electrical. Toss calipers and use Spyre disc brakes.

Also thinking about using only one front chain ring- hardly ever use the big chain ring (I'm 70 years old and just like mellow riding). That would make a pretty good weight savings. Figuring way to make clean application of this idea. 11 speed would still give pretty good range.

Thanks.....

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

The wheels have been built up, 1206g.
Attachments
IMG_20180627_191639.jpg
IMG_20180627_191723.jpg
Last edited by Klaster_1 on Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

Impressive weight for disc clinchers...I'm keen to see how they ride

Is there a weight limit on them?
Building Spec Allez

Sold
Fuji SL 5.5kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157704

Sold -
Izalco Max Disc 6.7kg http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... o+Max+disc

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

Squashednuts wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:40 am
Is there a weight limit on them?
Good question. Only rims have an official weight limit of 130kg. Extralite claims "Safety tests simulate a very strong 90kg (200lb) rider output.". I guess up to 90kg should be fine, but YMMV due to power output and opinion about wheels flex/deflection, because lightweight Ti spokes probably should not behave like steel no matter what. Doesn't matter much as I'm only ~65kg.

Still no ride report, gonna take the bike out this weekend.

r3m

by r3m

Nice build ! Where did you buy the stem? I need the same in 120mm...

Thnaks !!

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

r3m wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:05 am
Nice build ! Where did you buy the stem? I need the same in 120mm...
The stem is a regular Kalloy Uno 7 with J&L Ti bolts, you can get it from eBay for like 25USD.

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

Went today for a highest climb accessible by a road bike in my city, but the ongoing construction made a mess of it, the road is full of gravel and sand with trucks going up and down. Had to drag the brakes all the way down, with extra care not to lose traction. I planned to ride some more, but I had a feeling something was wrong with the headset, when I was home the Vumaquad came loose again 😒
Attachments
Hongfu FM079
Hongfu FM079
IMG_20180707_142707_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180707_142752_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180707_143432_HDR.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com