Third Time's a Charm: Litespeed T3

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderator: Moderator Team

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

It’s about time to replace those Speedplays for Dura Ace pedals I will never go back to the Speedplays...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RyanH

by RyanH

I've been tempted to try them but I feel like it's one of those things where if I don't try them then ignorance is bliss. So, I'm purposely going to stay ignorant on that one in the name of saving 80g.

It's funny though as I stopped for lunch and was looking over the bike, I don't know what I can replace on the bike or "upgrade." The bike is now kinda maxxed out. I'd love a bar/stem combo but there aren't any WW -12 or -10 stems. I have a Cane Creek Slamset upper coming next week which should save 22g over the Chris King upper. That's all I can think of right now. Maybe if I get bored I'll order a new Enve fork and refinish it to be gloss to match the gloss bits better. Bars are currently Specialized S Works which are 190g. Maybe Schmolke Evo but I'm concerned the profile is too similar to 3T Ergonovas of old which is a less than appealing profile.

by Weenie

Wookski

by Wookski

RyanH wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:36 pm

Also, while I have your attention, can you share some feedback on the Schmolke Evo bars vs 3t? I think I inquired on your Bura thread a year ago, lol.
Yeah sorry dude- the Schmolke evo is superior to 3T LTD is almost every respect. I have had many issues over the years with 3T’s shitty carbon manufacturing (I.e delamination at clamping zone). The Schmolke are slightly lighter, significantly stiffer and have a super nice shape. Now only if they made them in a classic bend...

Thanks for the feedback re: Gips. I have a set of Obies which are rad but are seeing less and less time on my bikes- not really deliberate just how it’s working out. After using them in 70km/h crosswinds, being pushed across 2 lanes on a high speed descent, I feel like nothing can be as scary as that. It’s removed my whole “how does it handle in crosswinds” issue! :lol:

Wookski

by Wookski

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:32 pm
It’s about time to replace those Speedplays for Dura Ace pedals Image I will never go back to the Speedplays...

Speedplays are the superior system- recommending the addition of dura ace pedals is not only silly, but an underhanded effort to promote Shimagnolo. Shame on you.

RyanH

by RyanH

70km/h is a pretty serious cross wind though. Last time I rode in windy conditions it was gusts of 50km/h and even with Nemesis I was having trouble staying on the shoulder.

My worst experience was 404s as they tend to feel like a speed wobble when descending fast and with a cross wind. I don't even think it was very windy, maybe 30 to 40k but I ended up doing the rest of the descent at 30kph.

Wookski

by Wookski

RyanH wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:12 am
70km/h is a pretty serious cross wind though.
Yeah they were the windiest conditions I had ever ridden in. I have to cut through downtown Sydney to get home and that was the worst. Wind gusting between the buildings nearly knocked me off the bike and I contemplated unclipping and just pushing the bike home. A friend joked about the Pryde with obies being more akin to a windsurfer than a bike.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Wookski wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:10 am
pdlpsher1 wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:32 pm
It’s about time to replace those Speedplays for Dura Ace pedals Image I will never go back to the Speedplays...

Speedplays are the superior system- recommending the addition of dura ace pedals is not only silly, but an underhanded effort to promote Shimagnolo. Shame on you.
I beg to differ, the cleat system is inferior but that's a whole other story...
"It's not the destination...it's the ride!"

Wookski

by Wookski

Wingnut wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:08 pm

I beg to differ, the cleat system is inferior but that's a whole other story...
Incorrect. What do you have to say about the underhanded Shimagnolo recommendation?

Wingnut

by Wingnut

No perfect pedal system at this stage...but ride whatever works for you, I used to have issues with Shimano/Campagnolo crossbreading but these days not so much...

Speedplay - Crap cleats with poor interface that rock with premature wear.
Shimano - Great bearings, awful cleat/pedal interface.
TIME - Great cleat interface but poor bearing and cleat life.
LOOK - ?
"It's not the destination...it's the ride!"

Wookski

by Wookski

Wingnut wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:27 am
No perfect pedal system at this stage...but ride whatever works for you, I used to have issues with Shimano/Campagnolo crossbreading but these days not so much...

Speedplay - Crap cleats with poor interface that rock with premature wear.
Shimano - Great bearings, awful cleat/pedal interface.
TIME - Great cleat interface but poor bearing and cleat life.
LOOK - ?
OK, being serious- I have not experienced the premature wear/ rocking and creaking issues other people have with speedplay. I have found the system to be 100% trouble free even with aftermarket ti spindles and butterflies.

RyanH

by RyanH

I've experienced the issue but not recently. I'd say I had the issue with the first two at around 10K miles or so, maybe more.

numberSix

by numberSix

I know this is WW but the Speedplay stainless steel ‘sole protection plate’ seems to solve the pedal body wear issue, at least with the Zero pedals.

RyanH

by RyanH

TL;dr: Calnago is unfortunately onto something regarding shifting and component selection.

When I first started cycling, I had an old Shimano group but quickly upgraded to SRAM Red. I ran SRAM for several years and that set my expectations for how mechanical shifting should work (i.e. barely acceptable). Since then, I've had Super Record, eTap, 9150, 8050 and 9100. It wasn't until I had 9100 though that I realized how much I was missing out on in mechanical performance. Going back to Super Record, I've been on a quest to match the precision of 9100.

Through this quest, I learned that mixing and matching components is a non starter. While I had shifting pretty good with the SRAM XG cassette, and definitely better than I had ever had with SR in the past, I still had a very slight overshift here and there and shifting the RD under load was a no go lest I risk lunging forward unexpectedly. So I took the plunge and bought an 11-25 Super Record cassette and dudemanppl dropped off a record chain and DT freehub. We put it on and in about the time it took me to step out and take a leak, dudemanppl had achieved mechanical shifting nirvana.

I put it through the paces today on our typical Sunday beatdown ride, and there's a particularly difficult section for shift groups where you take a right turn going about 25 mph into what we call the wall, a few hundred meter long stretch that is in the high teens percent gradient wise. I can usually big ring this but it means I need to shift while putting out between 500 and 800w. With Di2 this was no problem, and today, finally, I was able to click through the gears gracefully without letting off the pedals.

So, a part of me is dying inside knowing that I'm giving up 30g on the cassette and 10g on the freehub and 10g on the chain (oh, and a dozen grams for Campy shift housing over iLinks which has been in place for a few weeks), but flawless shifting is worth it.

We took the time to caliper the chains, and what we found from measuring the plates width was:

Dura Ace Chain: ~5.8mm
SRAM Red 22 Chain: 5.6mm
PYC Chain: 5.55mm
Campy Record: ~5.28mm

Campy is a lot narrower chain so I'm guessing that the cassette is a hair narrower which means that you'll never get indexing perfect using a non Campy cassette.

Edited to add: if you want to mix and match, run Di2, Di2 dgaf and will shift pretty much anything flawlessly. I guess looking back at it, I was running 9100 with SRAM Xg so that combo works as well.

Freehub Differences:

Super Record Cassette Weight

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

I've recently realised this too. While a Shimano cassette shifts 'good enough' when I wen't to a Campagnolo cassette the improvement was amazing.

by Weenie

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

Ryan needs to clean up his sex dungeon...