Third Time's a Charm: Litespeed T3

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderator: Moderator Team

Calnago

by Calnago

Ha... I saw your post earlier and I was so tempted to write “my moneys on two rides at best”, but then I said to myself “Cal, don’t be a negative Nellie”.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

While you have the BB out inspect the inside of the BB shell for abnormalities. Sometimes a used BB could have wider tolerances due to wear. Hopefully that's the case here...

by Weenie

RyanH

by RyanH

I tried putting the spindle side of the Red22 crank in and do the push test and nada. It seems to need to be torqued down in order to creak. I'm hoping that previously knocking the cups out affected the bearing alignment and it's that. That's just about the only thing that makes sense at this point, right? How and why that has happened to 3 separate BBs, the world may never know...

Oh, and to add insult to injury on today's ride, my frontend started clicking super badly. I had an FSA all in one compression plug/cap in so when I pulled over, I went to retighten my headset and it was already as tight as before. Turns out that the FSA top cap thing can click against the micromovements of the stem. I had to ride the rest of the ride with the top cap loose, but fortunately that half of the bike was noise free. Strange.
Strava
Current Stable. The Snob Machine
The Ex's. LS Siena: 6.21kg | Parlee Z5 SLi: 5.9kg | LS Xicon: 5.76kg | C59: 5.7kg | Cervelo R5ca: 5.09kg | Fuji Altamira SE - 6.2kg | Scott Foil - 6.2kg | Evo - 5.18kg | LS Classic - 6.7kg | The Crumpton - 5.9kg

glepore

by glepore

its cursing you for infiedelity.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Cannondale SS Evo Di2 7970 (5.79); Willier Cento Uno Air Di2 9070 (7.0); C40 Mk2 DA 7800 ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

If you are sick of BB problems there's actually a really good solution. Since you have a metal frame you can convert your PF30 BB to a T47 BB, which is basically a threaded PF30. The attached video shows how it's done. I have the T47 BB and no issues here. I have the Chris King one and I really like the serviceability of CK BBs. To regrease them you don't need to remove the seals or remove the cups. You just attach a grease injection tool and pump in fresh grease.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gC1M98mWjM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WTsSjGw5Kk

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

FWIW, I've had creaky T47.

sychen

by sychen

I've had a cracked bearing in the pedal that sounded like it came from a bb shell. Drove me up the wall.
Just in case.. You using the same pedal for all the bb/ crankset rebuilds?

Great build by the way.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

sawyer

by sawyer

RyanH - really nice bike ... forgive me I haven't the entire thread ... re the BB, have you looked at C-Bear?

When I was putting together the Focus a bit of research threw up their PF30 as the best solution to avoid creaking ... as I'm using Campag UT cranks I needed a 25mm axle BB, so the OEM Token 24mm had to go in any event, but the creak-free ceramic C-Bear PF30 solution works a charm
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

muffinman

by muffinman

dude ryan just close your ears and no more creak !

PinaRene

by PinaRene

RyanH wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:53 pm
The quiet lasted for about 10 minutes...I'm hoping a fresh new BB will resolve the issue. Couldn't get it to creak at all with the crank off though.
Chainring bolts - remove them - put a little bit of carbon paste on them and try again. Could be your problem with the creak, have seen it before.

RyanH

by RyanH

This is meant for the Crumpton but that's still a few more weeks out (getting refinished) so might as well see if it works fine:

Finish and craftsmanship seems a little nicer than the Mcfk stem. More polished and refined I think.

Weight is also better for a 120mm than my last mcfk stem.

On the Litespeed:

I did the yank hard on the bar test with the Kalloy and then this, couldn't really tell a difference in deflection which I think is an improvement over Extralite. I recall I was able to tell a slight difference with Mcfk last time I did this but that was against a Zipp stem. I'm thinking this is satisfactory for stiffness. I'll report back once I get a ride in.
Strava
The Ex's. LS Siena: 6.21kg | Parlee Z5 SLi: 5.9kg | LS Xicon: 5.76kg | C59: 5.7kg | Cervelo R5ca: 5.09kg | Fuji Altamira SE - 6.2kg | Scott Foil - 6.2kg | Evo - 5.18kg | LS Classic - 6.7kg | The Crumpton - 5.9kg

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Re your creak, what you describe sounds like a headset issue. I know it shouldn't be considering the parts involved, but when you twist the bike by pushing on the crank area, other then the wheels, the only other assembled parts that can move and make noise is the frame/fork connection - the headset. Re and re the headtube/headset/fork before you get crazy with other stuff.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

RyanH

by RyanH

I already thoroughly disassembled that and regreased the headset but I'll keep the in mind. I'm still pretty sure its the BB. I went to my friend's shop and we installed the Wheels Mfg BB. He was helping me and unfortunately didn't torque the BB to spec so when I headed out, it was worse then before. I torqued it to the correct spec but broke the Loctite bond. It quieted down to what it was like before. I have primer coming this week so I'll clean it and redo it on Thurs and this time not ride it before it cures.
Strava

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

I hate to say it but it seems like there is a crack hiding somewhere in there.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

by Weenie

RyanH

by RyanH

I nearly pulled the trigger on a T2 Disc yesterday. I'm trying to resist the urge so I figured I should go ride some of the dirt trails off Mulholland (Fryman) to hopefully stave off the desire for a bit longer. The 27mm Vlaanderen at 60/65 psi performed admirably, very comfortable. I had to walk in a few spots because 34/25 wasn't enough to do seated and I lose my momentum. There was a quarter mile descent down a 12% grade that would have been much more pleasant on disc but I'm not sure I would've been willing to go much faster without significantly larger tires (like MTB).

Still dry at the moment:

Coming back up:

Oops:

And then it started to rain:

Coming back it started to rain. Brakes didn't want to work initially as they were full of sand but once that cleared out, I remembered how wonderful Boras are in the wet. Other than a slight delay in braking of maybe 1 to 2s, they handled all hard braking as if they were dry. Braking from the hoods was less than stellar though.

And the Ax stem? Initial impressions is that it seems to perform well. Can't really tell a difference yet. Granted, that's a little hard since I've been riding around with 3cm more drop on 38cm bars (Classic) so handling felt weird for most of the ride but out of the saddle climbing felt fine.
Strava