Third Time's a Charm: Litespeed T3

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

syplam

by syplam

How does it feel riding on these compared to the Boras you have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RyanH

by RyanH

@delorre

Sorry, I kept trying to remind myself to take photos and kept forgetting. I took some of the crumpton and it's basically the same except the LS looked slightly better since it entered on the HT.

Junction hidden under the bottom bracket with double sided tape :

jdc5r

by jdc5r

Keen to hear your review on the FSE wheels/rims.

keaton

by keaton

jdc5r wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 12:40 pm
Keen to hear your review on the FSE wheels/rims.
I will second/third this :)

RyanH

by RyanH

I posted some quick thoughts in the Indy Fab thread but I'll repost them here. Overall, I'm very happy with the FSE 25 wheels. They seem to be stiff and responsive, which is something I'm wary of when dealing with rims under 30mm deep. But, whether I'm on a 15% pitch or in a full gas sprint, they have been surefooted and confidence inspiring. Braking is very powerful with Campy Red pads, but I'd say about 80-90% with the recommend BP pads. I think these might be more powerful than Boras. HOWEVER, they're not as refined as the Boras. The Boras are smooth braking all the way down to a standstill. These seem to cause the fork to shudder or generally cause vibration the last 10m of a stop. It's not as bad or as annoying as older Reynolds rims but again, it's not as refined as Boras or Enve.

They survived Tuna Canyon too, which is notorious for destroying rims. I mean, I'd be shocked if I destroyed a carbon tub as I've never had an issue with carbon tubular rims but they didn't squeal or suggest they were being stressed, so overall that was a good indication.

https://www.strava.com/segments/803713?filter=overall

RyanH

by RyanH

I ordered a Ritchey Superlogic since I changed my position and need some setback. Weight is pretty respectable at 158g including alloy clamp holders:

Removing the pieces and replacing the bolt with a Ti one:

But, I ended up changing my mind when I saw that Fairwheel still had the old setback Mcfk posts. Claimed setback is 20mm but this looks closer to my 15mm setback post. Weight is less than I expected:

Litespeed is now down to 5.97kg with Gips and Cannondale SRM:

Wookski

by Wookski

*f##k* yeah! This bike makes me very happy. Sorry if you’ve already covered this- why Gipfelsturm over Meilensten?

Lightweenie

by Lightweenie

Campy is back!

RyanH

by RyanH

Yes, Campy is back, all is good in the world again.

@wooski
No particular reason. My order of want was: Obies, Gips and then Meilenstein due to weight. With that being said, I can't be happier with the ride characteristics of the Gips. The smoothness and responsiveness/stiffness balancing act they pull off is amazing. I had a pair of Reynolds 46s (and the CCU) they felt as stiff and responsive but also beat the utter crap out of you. Actually, CCUs were too responsive. I also like that they're low profile which makes them a little more impervious to wind.

Also, while I have your attention, can you share some feedback on the Schmolke Evo bars vs 3t? I think I inquired on your Bura thread a year ago, lol.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

It’s about time to replace those Speedplays for Dura Ace pedals I will never go back to the Speedplays...

RyanH

by RyanH

I've been tempted to try them but I feel like it's one of those things where if I don't try them then ignorance is bliss. So, I'm purposely going to stay ignorant on that one in the name of saving 80g.

It's funny though as I stopped for lunch and was looking over the bike, I don't know what I can replace on the bike or "upgrade." The bike is now kinda maxxed out. I'd love a bar/stem combo but there aren't any WW -12 or -10 stems. I have a Cane Creek Slamset upper coming next week which should save 22g over the Chris King upper. That's all I can think of right now. Maybe if I get bored I'll order a new Enve fork and refinish it to be gloss to match the gloss bits better. Bars are currently Specialized S Works which are 190g. Maybe Schmolke Evo but I'm concerned the profile is too similar to 3T Ergonovas of old which is a less than appealing profile.

Wookski

by Wookski

RyanH wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:36 pm

Also, while I have your attention, can you share some feedback on the Schmolke Evo bars vs 3t? I think I inquired on your Bura thread a year ago, lol.
Yeah sorry dude- the Schmolke evo is superior to 3T LTD is almost every respect. I have had many issues over the years with 3T’s shitty carbon manufacturing (I.e delamination at clamping zone). The Schmolke are slightly lighter, significantly stiffer and have a super nice shape. Now only if they made them in a classic bend...

Thanks for the feedback re: Gips. I have a set of Obies which are rad but are seeing less and less time on my bikes- not really deliberate just how it’s working out. After using them in 70km/h crosswinds, being pushed across 2 lanes on a high speed descent, I feel like nothing can be as scary as that. It’s removed my whole “how does it handle in crosswinds” issue! :lol:

Wookski

by Wookski

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:32 pm
It’s about time to replace those Speedplays for Dura Ace pedals Image I will never go back to the Speedplays...

Speedplays are the superior system- recommending the addition of dura ace pedals is not only silly, but an underhanded effort to promote Shimagnolo. Shame on you.

RyanH

by RyanH

70km/h is a pretty serious cross wind though. Last time I rode in windy conditions it was gusts of 50km/h and even with Nemesis I was having trouble staying on the shoulder.

My worst experience was 404s as they tend to feel like a speed wobble when descending fast and with a cross wind. I don't even think it was very windy, maybe 30 to 40k but I ended up doing the rest of the descent at 30kph.

Wookski

by Wookski

RyanH wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:12 am
70km/h is a pretty serious cross wind though.
Yeah they were the windiest conditions I had ever ridden in. I have to cut through downtown Sydney to get home and that was the worst. Wind gusting between the buildings nearly knocked me off the bike and I contemplated unclipping and just pushing the bike home. A friend joked about the Pryde with obies being more akin to a windsurfer than a bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com